5 things you learned so far 40k 8th

List 5 things you learned so far. Things that are not obvious that you either weren't expecting, are better/worse, make your list more/less frustrating.

Go.

Fallen can't embark on transports other than fortifications.

Blood Angel Assaults can no longer take 2 melta's.

Psyker's got nerfed. Can't attempt to cast a spell more than once per turn (other than Smite), Limited to just 3 spells, Smite has to hit the closest unit.

Open Topped is now even harder to find.

Least number of units goes first.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head:

• Using Pile-in Moves to drag nearby Units into Combat without Charging them can be very powerful.
  • Very few Units have an exemption to the -1 for Moving and firing Heavy Weapons. Particularly important to keep this in mind for Units that have long been Relentless, like Terminators.
  • If you're going to fire the Flamer part of a Combi-Flamer, always go ahead and fire the Bolter part, too. The -1 to Hit doesn't affect the Flamer shots at all because they auto-Hit, so you might as well pick up a couple of extra Bolter shots as well, even if they are at -1.
  • Vehicles with Quantum Shielding need to be taken down with high volume-of-fire, low damage Weapons. Keep the Meltas and Lascannon for other stuff.
  • Monstrous Creatures without a CCW gain no inherent benefits in Close Combat. DakkaFexen/Tyrants need to be a lot more careful about what they Charge now.

Yep. the quantum shielding sucks balls. My first game i dropped 7 melta's spread across 900 points with the chaos deep strike/first turn assault combo and only did 4 wounds across everything. All 900 points dead by turn 3.

I wonder if the Blood for the blood god thing lets you have a second fight on pile in if you kill everything in first fight.

And the heavy thing. Land Raider's get the new relentless but very little else does. It's like they took all the badness on land raider's since 4th edition and tried to wipe it out by nerfing everything else.

-the way reserves work now (having control over exactly where and when they come in) seems to make the game come to a head much quicker than before

-plasma pistols are an absolute steal for the amount of work they do in two phases 

-you want at least one psyker for defensive purposes even if you hate psykers or their powers, since for casting and denial purposes most psykers are on a level playing field 

-bjorn the fell-handed proves to be an amazing mobile anchor for a sw army and deletes anything he touches 

-theres not much argument for taking blood claws, since grey hunters cost 1 pt more and get chainswords for free 

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

Just realized something else: Assault Flamers and such can Advance and fire without penalty. Since they auto-Hit, the -1 for Advancing and Firing means nothing. That's a big piece I was missing of why Pyrovores are better.

Dual heavy flamer land speeders are also dope like this.  Or Hellhounds.  

• Like 1

Played a game against myself because that's what you do!  

WkoXxQ1.jpg

Two very flugerian armies staring at each other.  

1.  9" bubble is actually hard to get through for late game arrivals.  Makes it pretty easy to wall off most of your deployment zone.

2.  Ogryns are real bullies.  

3.  Ratlings are very scary, but easy to remove.  Snipers seem to be something TAC lists should consider.

4.  Not having to worry about spacing is such a relief.

5.  Its REALLY hard to kill vehicles now.

• Like 7

oh ya.. I forgot another thing. 

Rhino no longer has firing ports. :unsure:

cover for vehicles and large base models is hard to get. I foresee a LOT of arguing between players on table setup until existing terrain is based.

Only infantry can go up levels. vehicles and non infantry models are stuck on the ground and can't assault infantry on the 3rd story.

• Like 3

Eavy armor ain't a thing any more... no 'ard boys for now...

Runts are now models so by my understanding could be removed when the unit (aka character) takes wounds. Their rules say always roll to wound vs the ork and that they do not end character protection. Pretty damn slick for the once per game guys,  use the rule then take your next wound on them... handy!

Oh and they are ignored for morale!

• Like 4

Couple things after looking at the SW stuff in the Imp. Index

• Headstrong for Blood Claws is back (GRRRR). Hasn't been there since 6th and I hated it in 6th, since it makes your Blood Claws charge anything that they can in the Charge Sub phase. Also, now with you only needing to get within 1'' to make it into combat they have to charge if they are within 13'' of something. Therefore, you lose control of your unit, which is something I'm not a fan of, and they'll have to take a lot of overwatch and still not make charges consistently.
  • Chainswords are free and don't cost 2 pts anymore. Woot.
  • Blood Claws finally hit on 3+ in combat. About damn time. So tired of them hitting on 4s in 7th and then usually get hit back on 3s.
  • Storm shields for non-Thunderwolf units are only 5pts. a piece. Holy crap.
  • Small, but neat thing for Iron Priests: If you pay the 30pts. for a tempest hammer you don't get the -1 to hit in combat that a thunder hammer does, and gain the new helfrost rule. So you hit on 2s with a thunder hammer, which is pretty neat.
  • Murderfang is a whopping 200pts. Wow. 
  • Like 3

• Successor Chapters are no longer allowed to use named special characters from their Progenitor Chapter (e.g., White Consuls cannot field Cato Sicarius, Guardians of the Covenant cannot field Belial).

• There is no longer a "generic" Chapter Master unit. 

• Dark Angels and their Successors have no means of putting a Captain (Company Master) on a Bike.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ish said:

• Successor Chapters are no longer allowed to use named special characters from their Progenitor Chapter (e.g., White Consuls cannot field Cato Sicarius, Guardians of the Covenant cannot field Belial).

Seems pretty easy to use the title of the progenitor chapter for list building and use the rules for them but play as the successor chapter.  So, for rules purposes a White Consuls force is Ultramarines but is painted as White Consuls.  I was noodling an Aurora Chapter list using Chronus.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fluger said:

Seems pretty easy to use the title of the progenitor chapter for list building and use the rules for them but play as the successor chapter.  So, for rules purposes a White Consuls force is Ultramarines but is painted as White Consuls.  I was noodling an Aurora Chapter list using Chronus.  

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly as it was before. You use 'counts as' (which is no longer covered by the rules that I can see).

• Like 1