5 things you learned so far 40k 8th

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

A-ha! The silver bullet to put that dead horse argument out of its misery. My phone only takes pictures too large to upload apparently, and I have no computer to do technomancy spells of re-sizing.

However, if you open your Xenos: 1 books to page 109, the Windrider entry on the example roster settles it. 

6 Jetbikes for 120, 2 TL shuriken catapults for 20, 2 scatter lasers for 30, 2 shuriken cannons for 24.

120 points of models+74 points of wargear=194 for the unit. If the H method were correct, the unit would be paying for an additional 40 points for the replaced twin-shuriken catapults, and the unit would cost 234.

Granted, an example roster isn't gospel truth, but it is an example of someone GW employed understanding it the same way most appear to.

Then GW put it in their book. 

As a cool aside, the example roster is filled out by Alex Smith, and I'm going to choose to believe that's Alex Smith the artist. He's my very favorite GW artist. His Emperor and Horus facing off over Slain-guinius's corpse and shattered sword is a classic (page 42 of 8th Ed BRB). His clean lines, incredible detail, and light effects make him the anti-John Blanche the GW art department desperately needs. 

As I said I went looking at the example lists when I got home.  The Windrider thing is exactly what I needed to see.  The Dark Eldar one did me no good in understanding it but I got ahold of my book after work and saw the Windryder.  

So it is as you say.  I am glad it works this way.

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, Ish said:

I literally have no way of even conceptualizing how that would work. It sounds as alien to me as if you were trying to tell me what the color blue tastes like.

Doesn't building a list necessarily have to involve figuring out what units you want to have?

Yes but I go off of what the points, units and options are, building a list off of what I think will be most effective. This requires you to be able to see he points and units first and then build your models to match it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

As I said I went looking at the example lists when I got home.  The Windrider thing is exactly what I needed to see.  The Dark Eldar one did me no good in understanding it but I got ahold of my book after work and saw the Windryder.  

So it is as you say.  I am glad it works this way.

Mark the calendar!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ish said:

I literally have no way of even conceptualizing how that would work. It sounds as alien to me as if you were trying to tell me what the color blue tastes like.

Doesn't building a list necessarily have to involve figuring out what units you want to have?

This is what the color blue tastes like. 

nintchdbpict000079369216.jpg?w=540&strip

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Swan-of-War said:

Gives you a lot more points to play with LH!

when I've been building 8th ed lists, I'm always about 10-15 shy of the limit. Just doesn't seem to be as much "filler" options than in the past.   Not a big complaint.

I played my Militarum Tempestus tonight.  I learned that they are just as fun to play, and twice as tough to kill.  Loved it.

I actually don't know what the points were because of course we were just doing Power (he played 112 and I played 110 just because he wanted 112, dunno why)

But yes it definitely does give me more points to spend.

Woman's Fury Brigade

BRIGADE DETACHMENT:  12 Command Points (Insane Bravery and Counter Offensive cost 2, Re-rolls 1)

2              Tempestor Prime

3              4 Militarum Tempestus Command Squad (3 Violley Guns, Medipak, Pistol + Voxcaster, Platoon Standard)

3              4 Militarum Tempestus Command Squad (4 Special Weapons)

3              4 Militarum Tempestus Command Squad (4 Special Weapons)

6              10  Scions (4 Special Weapons, Pistol+Vox, Pistol+Medi-Pak, Platoon Standard, P-Sword+Plasma Pistol)

6              10  Scions (4 Special Weapons, Pistol+Vox, Pistol+Medi-Pak, Platoon Standard, P-Sword+Plasma Pistol)

6              Taurox Prime

7              Manticore

6              Hydra

6              Basilisk

6              Hellhound

5              10 Rough Riders

5              10 Rough Riders

TOTAL POWER: 110            TOTAL MODELS:  93            TOTAL DROPS: 22                               

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pretre said:

Yes but I go off of what the points, units and options are, building a list off of what I think will be most effective. This requires you to be able to see he points and units first and then build your models to match it.

I've always built my collection unit by unit. Then assembled my army lists out of the units I own.

I have a Leman Russ Vaquisher and a Lascannon Heavy Weapon Squad. I need an anti-tank unit, I'll pick one.

I have a Deathwing Terminator Squad and a Deathwing Knights squad. I need a dedicated mêlée unit that's sting on defense because I know I'm fighting Tyranids... DW Knights it is.

By having all my units in my collection already sorted out into roles and with a rough idea what points they will cost, army list building just means grabbing my faves, doing some quick math, and maybe adding or dropping a few little things. ("No dozer blades on the Chimeras today, boys! The colonel says to blame budget cuts.")

1 minute ago, Ish said:

I've always built my collection unit by unit. Then assembled my army lists out of the units I own.

I have a Leman Russ Vaquisher and a Lascannon Heavy Weapon Squad. I need an anti-tank unit, I'll pick one.

I have a Deathwing Terminator Squad and a Deathwing Knights squad. I need a dedicated mêlée unit that's sting on defense because I know I'm fighting Tyranids... DW Knights it is.

By having all my units in my collection already sorted out into roles and with a rough idea what points they will cost, army list building just means grabbing my faves, doing some quick math, and maybe adding or dropping a few little things. ("No dozer blades on the Chimeras today, boys! The colonel says to blame budget cuts.")

I do the opposite for the most part. I build lists and then build/paint the models to go into them. It means I end up with a very broad collection over time and gradually paint a big chunk of it.

;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fluger said:

These seem to be gems in the new edition.  How did they fare?

They did exactly what I wanted them to do:  they controlled the field and dared his jumpers to come in and try to take on my Artillery/tanks.

I put one unit within striking distance but far enough to allow Jumpers to come in between them and the artillery.  He took the bait in the second round because I controlled the midfield with the Scions.  The second unit was set at the other end of the board to guard the Hellhound and to provide a wingman unit for my own deep strikers.  They also were never needed because the enemy didn't commit anything to that side.  His forces got absolutely shelled (literally and figuratively) when I parachuted in on round two.  He lost so much all at once that he had to abandon his men on that side of the board and couldn't stop me from Line breaking anymore.

To make a long story short, the opponent capitulated before I could deliver the final blow but those horsemen were about to bring retribution like crazy.

• Like 1

I used to know a guard player that would crush people with rough riders in 3rd and 4th. He'd pound people with big guns and sit back. Wait till they got close and pounce with 20 power lances.

They've always been my favorite guard unit. They're the only one that has any personality.

"That's not a mook or a rectangle!" -Me

• Like 1

Umm I don't understand the problem here...

Select units, comes with base wargear, add up points, list building complete

Or

Select units, comes with base wargear, replace wargear, add up points, list building complete.

Edit: after finishing reading the entire thread I realize this problem has been solved.

• Like 1