5 things you learned so far 40k 8th

Finally got a game in yesterday, SW vs the new Death Guard,gonna try Blood Angels vs Deathguard today(hopefully).These were 1k armies.

I was very curious to see just how different nu40k is from AoS and my first impression is that it has captured all of the ease of play elements of AoS and yet has maintained what was needed to keep the futuristic combat of 40k seperate from the "ancient" type warfare of Fantasy.Its not a huge difference but enough to make them feel seperate in how they play.I think alot of this comes from how the combat phase is different in that the nu40k version is very basic,using pretty much the same targeting principle as previous editions were as in AoS there is differing base sizes and weapon ranges to deal with that make for a much more tactical approach to how you charge an enemy and add in new units and or retreat units from combat.40k though being mainly a shooting game with all armies having at least some access to some solid killing power at range,has taken what I like about AoS and pretty much spread it out over dozens of inches of board space.I like this differing type of game play using this ruleset.

Not having to worry about my characters getting sniped is very nice..Im actually hoping something is done to tone down this "tactic" in the next AoS GH.Still though as the battleline flows throughout a game,one still needs to keep in mind potential trickery by fast movers hoping over and getting behind for character snipes.Jump troops in combat can also jump over during pile in and possibly get to a character.

Flyers are going to be part of alot of armies especially those that can hover,its great that they are now only -1 to hit but this extra vulnrability doesnt really put much of a dent into their new utiility.

Smite is pure awesome,,,all elite troops need to be aware of casters in the midst of melee`s,,smite will ruin your day,,I can even see some potential mortal wound lists with this,,need to see what other spells are out there for mortal spaming,heh.

Unit synergies is still very strong as it is in AoS.I ran a couple of blobs of Poxwalkers(20 each) and neither was large enough to hold a unit of 10 Bloodclaws with a buff from a nearby Wulfen unit(+1 attacks each) .Actually the Wulfen are very nasty now and probably a must take in any SW list.I was banking on the 5+ resiliance save for the poxwalkers along with the occasional kill to bring back a model,,but it wasnt even close to effective.Poxwalkers really need to have Typhus in their midsts.

Psykers are very nice,I can see at least two sources of casting in my lists.Spells that debuff a units hit rolls from range are awesome,,as with ones that debuff shots going into friendly units.Its these abilities that put the stop to those who build lists of massed punitive shooting like the conscript spam so many are fearing.

I was planning to start the new edition with my SW and from a competative standpoint,that would probably be a wise thing to do.BUT!..im not wise and often quite the goofball when it comes to the games I play so I have changed over to the new Death Guard.I have yet to do any of the Nurgle armies in AoS and this seems like the perfect opportunity to do a putrid army,,,im right at home with it too being a plumber as others peoples detritus is my "passion" so to speak and I make a fairly good living at it:biggrin:
Im also hoping Death Guard get more release attention being since they seem to be in the same postion the Khorne Goretide was at the AoS release.

• Like 5

We know that Mortarion is coming sooner or later. I imagine we'll see a (putrid) splash of models released alongside him. Quite likely with a set of dual AoS/40k kits as part of it... The current Great Unclean One model is rather long in the tooth and daemon models work for both settings. Poxwalkers could get the Tzaangor treatment without too much effort by the sculptor(s), and so forth.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Swan-of-War said:

I just noticed that you can take an Auxiliary Detachment of a Dedicated Transport only

I think most (all?) the objective missions require you to have the most models the closest to the objective and within X... So, in theory, a big enough line of grunts could do it. But that's going to be really tricky to pull off.

Just now, Dusldorf said:

I don't understand point #1

Models embarked in vehicles that allow their passengers to shoot only allow them to shoot in the Shooting Phase. He's interpreting this to mean no Overwatch. 

I disagree with that, but I understand his argument.

10 minutes ago, Ish said:

Models embarked in vehicles that allow their passengers to shoot only allow them to shoot in the Shooting Phase. He's interpreting this to mean no Overwatch. 

I disagree with that, but I understand his argument.

You can disagree with it. GW put up a FAQ stating such. 

Just as you can't attack units you did not charge on a turn you charged, you can't attack units in a transport. 

This is the same as those units you Consolidated into can't overwatch you. 

You did not charge the units inside the transport so they can't Overwatch. That is the logic behind that ruling.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

You can disagree with it. GW put up a FAQ stating such. 

Just as you can't attack units you did not charge on a turn you charged, you can't attack units in a transport. 

This is the same as those units you Consolidated into can't overwatch you. 

You did not charge the units inside the transport so they can't Overwatch. That is the logic behind that ruling.

This makes sense to me

• Like 1

Another game changer that I forgot to mention when I listed my Daemon comments before is that being a daemon doesn't give you any form of deep strike anymore (new or old version). The Daemonic special rule just gives you a 5++ now. This is a big deal, since more combat focused lesser daemons like Khorne and Slaanesh have to foot slog it all across the board to get to the enemy instead of being able to deep strike further up the board, right in your opponent's face. We'll see if this is an issue for CC focused lesser daemons, like Bloodletters and Daemonettes, being able to get into CC with some form of a unit left. A further game changer is that Nurgle lost Slow and Purposeful so Nurgle can use those mutated legs and run now. Praise the Dark Gods! I can finally run with my Nurgle Daemons, which was an issue following a deep strike in 7th Ed where my deep striking Plaguebearers were all clumped up for a nice blast to come in and ruin their day. And having essentially FNP is not too shabby as well. 

• Like 2

I believe the intent with demons is to summon them instead of deep striking.Actually summoning can be very usefull as you can summon any unit that is capable of being summoned,no need to have them in your list to start with,,therefore no need to have them accounted for when deploying?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Threejacks said:

I believe the intent with demons is to summon them instead of deep striking.Actually summoning can be very usefull as you can summon any unit that is capable of being summoned,no need to have them in your list to start sith,,therefore no need to have them accounted for when deploying?

But does Khorne have summoners? 

1 hour ago, SigurdBC said:

Another game changer that I forgot to mention when I listed my Daemon comments before is that being a daemon doesn't give you any form of deep strike anymore (new or old version). The Daemonic special rule just gives you a 5++ now. This is a big deal, since more combat focused lesser daemons like Khorne and Slaanesh have to foot slog it all across the board to get to the enemy instead of being able to deep strike further up the board, right in your opponent's face. We'll see if this is an issue for CC focused lesser daemons, like Bloodletters and Daemonettes, being able to get into CC with some form of a unit left. A further game changer is that Nurgle lost Slow and Purposeful so Nurgle can use those mutated legs and run now. Praise the Dark Gods! I can finally run with my Nurgle Daemons, which was an issue following a deep strike in 7th Ed where my deep striking Plaguebearers were all clumped up for a nice blast to come in and ruin their day. And having essentially FNP is not too shabby as well. 

Summoning... all characters can and this would allow for more flexibility in deployment. 

Additional thought you can wait longer to bring them in... they are not reserves and therefore do not count as destroyed after turn three... this I'm now thinking is super powerful better than deep strike...

Just now, pretre said:

The crazy part of SCS are that they deepstrike and can take 4 Specials. 

I'm aware, but pairing that with rerolling to-hit squads of plasma (that again have three wounds) walking down the board with a wave of conscripts makes SCS craziness even worse for the opponent. Not a lot of time to even turn around and deal with the undercosted buggers.

4 hours ago, Kremmet said:

I'm aware, but pairing that with rerolling to-hit squads of plasma (that again have three wounds) walking down the board with a wave of conscripts makes SCS craziness even worse for the opponent. Not a lot of time to even turn around and deal with the undercosted buggers.

I tabled my Necron opponent with them last night.  

The primary reason was that i was able to assassinate both his characters (C'Tan and some form of Lord becasue the C'tan did the whole redeploy magic whiuch left him kinda exposed, and the Lord was simply caught behind his own Warriors instead of among them, a mistake I doubt he will make again) turn one, and both his annihilation Barges, plus took out half the points on his Monolith and a block of Necron Warriors.  I have to say, the alpha strike capability of the army was on full display.

He killed like 1/3 of my guys on his turn but the damage was done and the end was just a cascade of forced responses.  His choices essentially became transparent because of necessity so it was a matter of time.

He killed a Scion Squad, plus a Rough rider squad who missed their charge after outflanking.  He also one-shot'd a Taurox prime with his Doomsday Ark.  Oofta.  That thing is super scary.  Take those for sure if you're playing as Necrons.  Those three were his only complete unit kills.

We did change over to points for this game which SUBSTANTIALLY reduced my cool-gear.  I was just able ot squeeze into a Brigade still though and i have to say, the Brigade Formation is fantastic for the Scions.