5 things you learned so far 40k 8th

I got in my first 40k game in about 4 years... and enjoyed it! I ran a Khorne list with a Bloodthirster, Abbadon, Kharn, three units of Berzerkers (in two Rhinos and a Land Raider) and some deepstriking Terminators. Pretty tiny model and drop count for 2000 points at 38 models and 5 deployments, but it worked! I played against Fix's Guard with lots of tanks, veteran squads, dual Deathstrike Nukes, heavy weapon teams, and psychers. We only made it three turns, but things were pretty definitively in my favor at the end - though there was a lot of blood shed on both sides (all the better for the Blood God). A few things I learned:

• Close combat is back! Assaulting out of transports, fighting first if you charge, all of the changes to hitting and AP... I like it!
  • Consolidating into 1" of other units is super powerful, especially into tanks. Shooting focused armies are going to have to keep their dudes spread out to keep me from tying them up/keeping them from shooting.
  • Land Raiders are actually functional tanks now and not just heavy transports! Lascannons are super good and getting 4 shots hitting on 3s (thanks to Daemonic Machine Spirit) is pretty awesome with a d6 wound weapon.
  • Deathstrike Missiles are scary. My Bloodthirster took two to the face in turn 3, taking 16 total wounds. Mortal wounds are nothing to mess around with.
  • Using Command Point rerolls on charge distance is nice!

I'm looking forward to having something to do with my 40k army again!

• Like 8

I also got my first game of 8th in last night against @JMGraham and his Ynnari with my Space Wolves. Some things I noticed were:

• Like @smashthedean close combat is really nice now and cc based armies have a lot more tools than before to get into combat. It felt really nice charging Ynnari and going first, whereas in 7th I would have charged and gone last every time. 
  • Piling in and Consolidating into other units to tie them up if your enemy clumps up is really powerful. Unfortunately...
  • Ynnari can fall back and still shoot since most of their units have the Fly keyword which allows them to do that. In addition...
  • Ynnari when Soulburst goes off can freaking Fall Back out of combat. Wowzers. This hurt me hard when on Turn 2 I had charged a bunch of Jim's stuff and wiped out a squad of Warp Spiders. That then allowed a unit of Fire Dragons to Fall Back out of Combat when they most likely would have been wiped out by my Ulrik and a pack of Grey Hunters who had charged them. Really powerful ability and something to watch out for when playing against Ynnari.
  • Be careful with transports since if they are destroyed you can lose the guys inside. My Land Raider got popped Turn 1 and I had Ulrik and a squad of TH/SS Terminators inside and lost two Terminators. 

It was a fun game when it was all said and done and I learned a lot. Look forward to more 8th Ed games in the future.  

• Like 6

The explosion result is rolled by the player owning the tank and can be rerolled via command point... valuable little bit for elite squads in transports also roll for all models then allocate slain results doesn't have to be squad specific so characters should pretty much never suffer. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

The explosion result is rolled by the player owning the tank and can be rerolled via command point... valuable little bit for elite squads in transports also roll for all models then allocate slain results doesn't have to be squad specific so characters should pretty much never suffer. 

That is nice to know! Characters taking separate mortal wounds for exploding vehicles is pretty rough. Kharn ate two wounds off a Chimaera explosion :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Only one of them can be re rolled.

• Like 1

To add to @SigurdBC 's lessons...

Strength from Death is amazing. One moment was the Fire Dragons falling back out of combat because a nearby unit died. The Fire Dragons would have been toast otherwise. Another moment was when the Fire Dragons leapt out of their Wave Serpent, bolted across the field, torched a Land Raider down to two wounds. When the Land Raider was brought down by another unit, it triggered SfD and let the Fire Dragons torch the Terminators who got out. Crazy brutal.

Flying is very powerful. The ability to fall back and still act is insanely good.

Non-flying vehicles not being able to fire weapons after they fall back from infantry that can barely hurt them is lame. It feels very athematic that the tank wouldn't just keep driving and firing its weapons.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JMGraham said:

Flying is very powerful. The ability to fall back and still act is insanely good.

Non-flying vehicles not being able to fire weapons after they fall back from infantry that can barely hurt them is lame. It feels very athematic that the tank wouldn't just keep driving and firing its weapons.

Yeah the more I think about that one, the more it feels like land-based vehicles are over-costed or flying vehicles are under-costed. The combination of first turn being a foregone conclusion+first turn charges+consolidating into other units makes the no fallback and shoot downside  all the more glaring.

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

Yeah the more I think about that one, the more it feels like land-based vehicles are over-costed or flying vehicles are under-costed. The combination of first turn being a foregone conclusion+first turn charges+consolidating into other units makes the no fallback and shoot downside  all the more glaring.

I think the problem stems from playing on tables that are too small. I know that 6' x 4' has been the wargaming standard since forever... But I think modern WH40k would really benefit from a larger battlefield. There's just no real room for maneuver when even the slowest movers can close with the enemy in two turns.  

• Like 2

Played Fluger's Orks last night. 1k pts. as we are still getting used to this edition. 

1. Old One Eye is a beatstick in combat! He was my MVP by far.

2. S7 is kind of s sucky strength for a carnifex to have... It isn't high enough to double out T4 infantry, and it needs 5s to wound T8+ tanks. I thuoght the fex was supposed to be the perfect tank killer for Tyranids.. Oh well, just my gripe.

3. I suck at rolling psychic tests. I only needed a 6...

4. Using 2 command points to jump the gun and get an attack in before your opponent can really turn the tides of the battle.

5. Picking the right combat order is key to victory.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, fluger said:

I learned that the relic is way easier to pick up!  

Quick question

If a model has a rule that effects friendly models of type (whatever) and the model also is type (whatever) do they get the benefit as well?

Like Chaplains, Warbosses (waagh), Old One Eye.

Yes they do,,dont have my book in front of me now,but this very issue is covered early in the rules If I rem correctly:)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fluger said:

I learned that the relic is way easier to pick up!  

Quick question

If a model has a rule that effects friendly models of type (whatever) and the model also is type (whatever) do they get the benefit as well?

Like Chaplains, Warbosses (waagh), Old One Eye.

Yes

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

Can units disembark from a transport that is engaged in close combat?

Yes, as long as there's enough space not blocked off by enemy Models to satisfy all the usual requirements. If the enemy are all clumped around one end, absolutely. If it's mostly or completely surrounded, things get sketchier.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks!

Battle-Forged armies allow you to take under-strength units in matched play, paying only for the cost of the models and weapons included, and provided you only have one of that unit type. Under-strength units still take up the force org slot. While I know, as intended, this is just supposed to get folks playing games with what they've got, I could see it being abused to be able to fit in force org charts they wouldn't otherwise be able to get. For example, just taking inexpensive single models to fill out a battalion (or whatever the one with tons of command points is called).