Space Wolf Primaris

Psilence

Well, actually-actually, "Primaris" is complete doggerel as is most of Games Workshop's "High Gothic" pseudo-Latin.

Prīmāriīs is the dative masculine plural of the word that I think GW was going for: Prīmārius (which is the masculine nominative first/second declension). It means roughly "one of the first," and was once used as was used as the title of a position in European universities. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2017 at 3:49 PM, Ish said:

Well, actually-actually, "Primaris" is complete doggerel as is most of Games Workshop's "High Gothic" pseudo-Latin.

Prīmāriīs is the dative masculine plural of the word that I think GW was going for: Prīmārius (which is the masculine nominative first/second declension). It means roughly "one of the first," and was once used as was used as the title of a position in European universities. 

Well played good Sir, I doff my cap.

;)

MYVr7_s-200x150.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PourSpelur said:

Well played good Sir, I doff my cap.

Now, for my next trick, I shall deliver a four hour rant on how plurals work in English. The first two hours is devoted to explaining how the correct plural of Codex is Codices, for Index it is Indices, and for Carnifex it is Carnifices. Then we will have a lighter tone half hour interlude on Die versus Dice. Finally, we will end on why it is Lords Commissar not Lord Commissars, why it is Fabricators General not Fabricator Generals, and Sisters Superior... 

If time permits, we can explain why Termagants, Dominatrices, Crones, Harridans, Harpies, and so many other Tyranid critters imply some serious "Mommy Issues" in Inquisitior Kryptman's psyche. 

• Like 2

Well, that's actually kinda interesting, as "cannon" is one of those rare words that can be pluralized correctly as "cannons" and has a collective noun as "cannon."

The HMS Victory has one-hundred four cannon aboard. 

The lieutenant commanded a battery of twelve cannon.

We ran out of cannon balls for the twelve-pounder cannons.   

The cannons on the hill were knocked out by counter-battery fire.

However, if you'd like, I have a stirring little speech prepared on the proper pronunciation of "lasrifle" and "nobz."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ish said:

However, if you'd like, I have a stirring little speech prepared on the proper pronunciation of "lasrifle" and "nobz."

Even better, describe the noise a lascannon makes.

Personally, I'm in the "THWAKK" camp. The "FREEEM" guys have some strong arguments though.

F the "ZAP" people though, totally unrealistic.

• Like 2

In an atmosphere, the sound of the weapon's beam is going to depend on the power, which we obviously don't know for certain since these are fictional weapons... But, 40k being 40k we can probably assume the power will range from "really high power" to "ZOMG! ridonkulously high powered." So the power of an lasrifle or lascannon should high enough to ionise the air it passes through, the cessation of the beam will result in the low-pressure ionised path it carved in the atmosphere collapsing with a crack or a bang, the loudness increasing and the pitch decreasing with the diameter of the ionised path. This means they'll make a distinctive crack or bang with each pulse, not entirely unlike thunder, really...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I actually managed to get 11 out of a box, plus a bunch of other SW bits.

Also, it really bugs me that whoever made that one used one of the DeathWatch SW shoulder pads on the left shoulder.

The warp is a confusing place. Brother Rawr woke up late and had to run to get to the battle. Obviously, in his hurry, he mixed up his shoulder pads. :)

• Like 1