Terrain is now pointless

Just now, Lord Hanaur said:

yes the entire base isnt ruins, the ruins are ruins.  the rest is rubble which can be categorizes as Warscape oooor...not.  Again in my opinion.

yep. but the cover save remains the same, it's the other stuff that gains modification. Stuff like, any units advancing/charging through subtract 2" from their movement/charge distance halved, etc etc.

1 minute ago, Lord Hanaur said:

okay.  But understand that the unit isnt getting a save until all the models are in.  so once four are dead, the unit is in.  

you mean a cover save bonus. Because they would still get a save unless the 7+ popped up. and you can allocate the wound to a model in terrain and eligible for a cover save bonus even with other models in the unit still partially inside the terrain and that model will gain a cover save bonus as long as all the models in the unit are wholly or partially on/in the terrain. Unless they are a unit/model type that requires a 50% obscurement in which case you would then have to check for 50% obscurement on that one model from the one shooting model. For that one attack resolution.

9 minutes ago, MikhailLenin said:

LH,

Non infantry still need Obscurity for Cover in CERTAIN pieces of Terrain, others pieces never grant cover to non Infantry.

Not sure how the FAQ ruling changes that...

I'm extremely glad this has come up.  it is clearly a point that needs to be emphasized and talked about before the tournament starts and I am clearly having trouble divorcing myself from the last four editions when it comes to this subject and i suspect it wont be the last time terrain comes up at the tournament.  

And we haven't even talked about vertical movement yet.  

So i am going to need to REALLY make sure people pay attention to the terrain rules and give me really clear feedback about terrain and other thing after this first one.  I think they botched terrain in this version like they did (even worse) in Age of Sigmar.  in Age of Sigmar the terrain rules are even more laughable.

Anywho i am super glad this subject has gotten lots of play.

8 minutes ago, peter.cosgrove said:

you mean a cover save bonus. Because they would still get a save unless the 7+ popped up. and you can allocate the wound to a model in terrain and eligible for a cover save bonus even with other models in the unit still partially inside the terrain and that model will gain a cover save bonus as long as all the models in the unit are wholly or partially on/in the terrain. Unless they are a unit/model type that requires a 50% obscurement in which case you would then have to check for 50% obscurement on that one model from the one shooting model. For that one attack resolution.

Yes I meant cover save bonus.  My bad.

Just now, Lord Hanaur said:

And we haven't even talked about vertical movement yet.

oh oh.. This is a good one. If you put an infantry model up to the 2nd story/3rd level, it can't be charged by monsters unless they can fly.

LOL.

Had a game Saturday against tyranids, and dropped into his backfield on 3rd turn. My sorcerer with jump pack ended up being the lone survivor and just stood up there smiting the biovores to their doom with 3 MC's on the bottom floor trying to shoot me off the wall.

1 minute ago, peter.cosgrove said:

oh oh.. This is a good one. If you put an infantry model up to the 2nd story/3rd level, it can't be charged by monsters unless they can fly.

LOL.

Had a game Saturday against tyranids, and dropped into his backfield on 3rd turn. My sorcerer with jump pack ended up being the lone survivor and just stood up there smiting the biovores to their doom with 3 MC's on the bottom floor trying to shoot me off the wall.

Hilarious.They should just make the building fall and knock you out of it.  Maybe we make up rules for how Monsters can topple buildings.  Monsterpocalypse anyone?

5 hours ago, Sugarlessllama said:

This is the weirdest conversation I have had about the new edition. I really get the feeling the OP is reaching to find negative things to say about the new edition. And it hasn't even been out a week yet.

I don't know what the tournament scene is going to look like for you dude. However, I am pretty sure that there will be tournaments. And at these tournaments there will be terrain, and people with cheezy armies that going to going to mini/max like crazy. Just like it ever was. So don't worry.

keep-calm-and-carry-on-17042.png

You got this. :laugh:

It hasn't been out for 96 hours yet. 

The game is new, not like old editions so it will take time to get used to. 

LoS blocking terrain is very important these days. Ruins will help infantry will be helpful as well. 

• Like 2