Fire raptor build

Skkipper

Got my forgeworld book today

so the fire raptor is 250 points

the quad bolters and reaper balls are modeled to be interchangeable those are 72 and 84 points 

the other option is hellstrike missiles(40), bale fire missiles (60) or two twin linked las cannons (100) points 

if I build it with missiles, it covers both. I just don't see the benefit of the las cannons. 

The las cannons are also more difficult to model and I don't think it is worth the cost.

thoughts?

Lascannons are Strength 9, which could be important against T8+ units if you intend to rely on it for hunting heavy armor... But, frankly, given the rest of the Fire Raptor's loadout, that's not the most efficient task for it. I'd opt for magnetic hardpoints for the missiles, swapping out as needs be to make points.

The joys of new shooting is that the las cannons can shoot big but the missiles at 40 points are strength 8 ap -3 2 shots 72" 3D 

which is almost as good as the 100 point 4 shot las cannons at 48" str 9 d6D. The 60 point saving keeps an espensive flyer from becoming too spendy

• Like 1

You can split fire, true, but it's still usually a good idea to have focused roles for your units... and the Fire Raptor's other guns are much happier munching on Infantry, Dedicated Transports, and the like. The missiles seem more suited for that role.

Plus they're "close enough" that you won't feel like you're using pea-shooters when you do need to take on a Leman Russ or a Tyranofex.

• Like 1