Pin Vice / Pinning Tool?

Anyone have a recommendation on a good pin vice / pinning tool to use? I've gone through about 4 of these style ones sold be various companies (P3, Armory?, etc), and they all seem to fail; after not too many uses they lose their "grip" on the smaller drill bits.

pin_vice_136.jpg

Anyone use the GW one? I know it's overpriced, but it cant' be any more expensive than 5 of these guys...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Anyone have a recommendation on a good pin vice / pinning tool to use? I've gone through about 4 of these style ones sold be various companies (P3, Armory?, etc), and they all seem to fail; after not too many uses they lose their "grip" on the smaller drill bits.

pin_vice_136.jpg

Anyone use the GW one? I know it's overpriced, but it cant' be any more expensive than 5 of these guys...

The gw one has this rubber that will get icky from hand sweat/ skin oils... breaks down to just horrible stuff after a bit. 

My recommendation is to maybe spin more pressure less... I'm thinking you are pressing so hard that the bit spins in the chuck easier than cuts a hole. Also more expensive bits that are sharper/ stay sharp are more important than the pin vise itself. 

• Like 2

On June 30, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Andrewgeddon said:

Anyone have a recommendation on a good pin vice / pinning tool to use? I've gone through about 4 of these style ones sold be various companies (P3, Armory?, etc), and they all seem to fail; after not too many uses they lose their "grip" on the smaller drill bits..

By losing their "Grip" you mean that the drill bit get's jammed in the piece, and the grippers are unable to spin it? That's "kinda" a safety feature for the drill bit, as it ideally stops you from breaking the drill bit in your piece. Usually means that you are advancing the drill bit too quickly (too much top presure). Try deliberately advancing the drill at a slower speed (not less rotations, less advancement, so a slower drilling of the hole).

A lubricant (Like oil) will also reduce the heat gained on the drill bit from drilling, which will make your drill bits last longer and be able to drill faster. But it does mean getting lubricant on your project.

Better drill bits may also solve the issue. 

Oh, if you aren't drilling a straight hole, you can end up with a similar issue due to these skinny drill bits in a hand drill. What happens is that you change angles while hand drilling and the hole becomes a curve, instead of straight hole. With a deep enough hole, this minor curve can result in wedging the drill bit in place. Happened to me a few times, mostly when drilling skinny pins for metal models. Usually have to remove the drill bit with pliers. At least, that's what I think the issue was, can't really see through the pewter to be sure. 

11 hours ago, paxmiles said:

By losing their "Grip" you mean that the drill bit get's jammed in the piece, and the grippers are unable to spin it? That's "kinda" a safety feature for the drill bit, as it ideally stops you from breaking the drill bit in your piece. Usually means that you are advancing the drill bit too quickly (too much top presure). Try deliberately advancing the drill at a slower speed (not less rotations, less advancement, so a slower drilling of the hole).

A lubricant (Like oil) will also reduce the heat gained on the drill bit from drilling, which will make your drill bits last longer and be able to drill faster. But it does mean getting lubricant on your project.

Better drill bits may also solve the issue. 

By losing the grip, I mean the chuck no longer holds onto the bit, and the bit slides into the pin vice, leaving only a small part of the bit sticking out, if any. 

6 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

By losing the grip, I mean the chuck no longer holds onto the bit, and the bit slides into the pin vice, leaving only a small part of the bit sticking out, if any. 

Yeah, too much pressure. If it slides effortlessly into the pin vice, probably time to buy a new one, even if it's just a pressure thing. Does sound like you may be more abusive to your tools than I, which is an accomplishment of sorts...

Drill bit could also just be too small for your pin vice. 

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Yeah, too much pressure. If it slides effortlessly into the pin vice, probably time to buy a new one, even if it's just a pressure thing. Does sound like you may be more abusive to your tools than I, which is an accomplishment of sorts...

Drill bit could also just be too small for your pin vice. 

I'm pretty hard on my tools / brushes. Drill bit was the one that came with the vice, but yeah, definitely time for a new one.

...which actually came in today. Haven't messed around with it too much, but I like it so far, the chuck seems to have a better grip than my previous tools.

18 hours ago, Exile said:

Since this thread seems to be a good place to ask this question:

Where are you getting your drill bits?  My previous solution of buying a pack of .5mm wire with corresponding bits is not sustainable long-term.

Tammies Hobbies sells them. They're right by the Beaverton TC Max Station. They have a good selection.