WTF People Willing To Help A Cool Thing Grow

fireangel

Before I start, I just want to mention that I've ran this buy a moderator prior to posting in order to make sure I wasn't breaking any community rules:

I am the Assistant Director for The Dalles-Wasco County Public Library, and we have a ton of exciting stuff going on at the moment.  We just opened our new Teen Space which has a Steam Punk interior, and our Teen Librarian won Oregon Librarian of the Year.  I was brought on recently to help their technology and am running their Maker Lab.  I also was given permission to start using Tabletop Gaming as a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) education tool and have started a Tabletop Gaming club using the Games Workshop Universe (for now).  

At the end of our fiscal year we were able to buy the 8th Edition reference books, the Shadow Wars rule book, and some Sigmar Books, as well as the Dark Imperium Boxed Set.  (Of which, all of the books are in an open circulation throughout the Oregon Sage Library system, so if any of you members want to check out one of our rule books on "library loan" go to your local Sage Library and place a hold.  The hope is you can check out an index book to play with rules and army lists before comitting).

I am currently looking around to see if anyone out there would be willing to donate terrain, models, or other items that the kidsin our club could use?  As you know we work with a mostly poor demographic where most children, over 88%, qualify for free or reduced lunches.  We are looking at using the Library as a way to plug some of the holes in the education system here, and our gaming club is turning out to be a good way for us to start focusing on basic math, art, english, and engineering skills.  Since wargaming usually has such a high price point for people to get into, we are trying to build an infrastructure that allows for interested kids in the community to participate in a hobby that is typically out of their reach.  Any and every donation will help us create a dynamic club where the kids can experience the totality of what the hobby has to offer, and hopefully this will inspire them to experiment with other programing and educational opportunities offered in our library.  

Since I'm also working on other elements of library, I'm also looking to see if there are any professional miniature painters in the area that may be willing to donate a table top paint job onto our Dark Imperium set?  I know this is a huge request, and a total shot in the dark but I figured I would ask.  

I know this is a far fetched request but the momentum and energy we have at the library is really exciting and we are making huge inroads with the youth here and this gaming club has real promise.  Any and every donation no matter how small can be treated as a tax deduction, and we are able to provide a receipt for all donations.

Thank you for your time, if you do want to help us with anything feel free to pm me, and if you would like to speak with me personally by phone or email send me a PM and I will provide you with my contact information.

Game on everyone!

• Like 12

Hmmmm... I'll see what I can do. I know lots of folks who would be willing to toss some scenery your way. You are a great guy and I really hope you get a little help. Scenario concept for you: Shrunk down to the size of tiny action figures your army & your foes must navigate a cluttered desk to find the maguffen that'll return them to normal. Shame its only works once.

• Like 2

I am not a professional painter, but I'm pretty good imho.  I really want to paint up a set of the Primaris in a bright color was thinking Sons of Medusa, but don't want to start another army as I play Wolves and have another chapter. So I would be willing to paint half the set for ya. 

And I probably have some models to donate. 

• Like 1

Just an FYI I will be in the Portland area on Monday of this week to drop off our Primaris marines because Scarydog has graciously offered to paint them for us.  I'm so excited I can't wait.  

A few people have asked if they could leave donations at the club house, I'm not sure how to facilitate this but I figured I'd post this update.

• Like 1

Quick bump to see if I can get some more interest.  I'm still looking for someone to help me paint the Nurgle army from our boxed set.  

I appreciate all of the help people have offered us so far.  You all have been super amazing to us, I'm really hoping that what we build at our library can become a model for other libraries to follow!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow. What a great use of a Library. Good job, Fireangel. 

I may be willing to donate one of my terrain projects if I ever finish them...Any content or Iconography that isn't okay for the library?