What has been your go-to unit in 8th Edition?

Iron priests on Thunder wolves have performed well in the few games I've gotten in.

In general opponents are shooting the softer fenrisian wolves for easy kills, or the more threatening larger T-cav units.

Meanwhile the priests meander up and start 'booping' people with their hammers.  Fun stuff :)

IMG_1204.JPG

• Like 2

I just played my first game with the new Raven Guard chapter tactics and stratagem. It was amazing. Fun and thematic, without being overpowering.  GW really nailed it this time. It felt like playing 30k RG, but with much fewer troops (which fits the post-Heresy feel of things).

My go-to unit was a unit of 5 Sternguard with combi-flamers, infiltrating with the Strike from the Shadows stratagem. I used my 30k Mor Deythan models, and it suited their role perfectly. They struck early and assasinated a key unit, and then fought tooth-and-nail to extricate themselves from the untenable position they put themselves in when they over-extended.

I'm not certain of they meant to give all Sternguard access to combi-weapons (in the index it says in one line that 2 Sternguard can upgrade to combi-weapons, and in the next line that all can), but I hope it sticks. It's pricy, but the feel of those 30k special weapons teams is priceless.

• Like 2

Hmmm... I guess the better way to do it would be Company Veterans. Same cost as Sternguard, they can all still have combiflamers, but then you can also trade your bolt pistol in for a chainsword. Given the close-support nature of the unit, a (free) extra close-combat attack sounds pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

Mandrakes continue to be bright shiny stars (hidden in the shadows). Last night they just splashed some mortal wounds onto grey hunters and then finished off a rune priest already weakened by perils. After trading shots with the last squad of grey hunters, they finally succumbed to the very last shot of the game. 

Their versatility continues to impress in such a specialized army. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

Mandrakes continue to be bright shiny stars (hidden in the shadows). Last night they just splashed some mortal wounds onto grey hunters and then finished off a rune priest already weakened by perils. After trading shots with the last squad of grey hunters, they finally succumbed to the very last shot of the game. 

Their versatility continues to impress in such a specialized army. 

I own 33 Mandrakes.  This pleases me.  I should try them, then.  I've always loved them, ever since the 3E codex.  It's good to hear this seldom used unit has new life.  So many of these cool units are finding usefulness now and i just love it.

55 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I own 33 Mandrakes.  This pleases me.  I should try them, then.  I've always loved them, ever since the 3E codex.  It's good to hear this seldom used unit has new life.  So many of these cool units are finding usefulness now and i just love it.

Keep in mind, I'm incredibly biased towards mandrakes. I've always loved them and have used them in every list since 5th edition (when they were god awful). 

But mortal wounds are great, and since they can show up anywhere, anytime you can put those mortal wounds on something that really doesn't like it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Keep in mind, I'm incredibly biased towards mandrakes. I've always loved them and have used them in every list since 5th edition (when they were god awful). 

But mortal wounds are great, and since they can show up anywhere, anytime you can put those mortal wounds on something that really doesn't like it. 

I think you could put a disclaimer on every single unit in existence if you really wanted to "yeah but" things to death.  I happen to be more constructively minded so I usually see the possibilities more than the limitations.  So it's good to hear good things about them.  =)

I think it's fair to say that Mandrakes are most valuable for their deployment option.  Against mid-tier targets they seem pretty decent to me.  There are a lot of targets who qualify as "ideal" for them to handle and as long as you dont ask them to do things they aren't slotted to do, i think you can probably have a lot of fun with them.

1 hour ago, Frowbakk said:

I have to say having five Immolators advance and flame everything was quite fun. Even the two Knights I played each were burn victims.

Yeah?  The Immolators do look juicy.  That Flamer is averaging 7 hits, and 3.5 wounds to save against at minus 1, per tank (Im talking against tougher stuff like the Knights you mention).  So 17.5 wounds to save against is boss.  Even a Knight won't like that very much.

3 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

competed in the BAO this past weekend and Celestine was MVP pretty much every game. she gon' get nerfed.

Well considering the dearth of truly OUTSTANDING units in the Sisters of Battle repertoire, I don't know how much I can get up in arms about them having one great thing and a bunch of toolsfor the tool bag.  Ive always seen Sisters as being a good tool bag, kind of like Eldar were MEANT to be with all their specialized roles.

Yep, I just with they could still do a Celestian and Command Squad all with jump packs.

In 8th Edition terms (wishlisting::ON) it would be like having a jump pack on an Imagifer able to quickly move around and dole out the Faith points when and where needed. (wishlisting::OFF)

I am thinking of taking a "Death Blossom" Rhino with five units of two Death Cult Assassins to scoot up the board and MIRV the opposition while their (empty) Immolator dedicated transports also light up enemy units lives.

32 minutes ago, Frowbakk said:

I am thinking of taking a "Death Blossom" Rhino with five units of two Death Cult Assassins to scoot up the board and MIRV the opposition while their (empty) Immolator dedicated transports also light up enemy units lives.

I think that Arcos may outperform DCA. one or two units of arcos with a priest to hang out and give them each another D3 attacks is pretty nice.