Help With OFCC List

So, it turns out that I don't actually have all of the Orchard and Bobby models I thought I had. I can still put tone there a decent list but I am considering switching to Saurian Ancientso since no one else is playing them. I have a little bit of everything but can't figure out a solid list.  Suggestions? 

First, either your autocorrect is running wild, or "Orchard and Bobby" is my new favorite army in 9th Age.

Second, I believe there are at least two other Saurian Ancients players for the event (Diap2012 and Beninator), but then again I think there were two other O&G armies as well, so I wouldn't let that dissuade you :biggrin:

For builds, I think you have a lot of options. Cuatl Lord on Pyromancy seems to be very popular, but you can't really go wrong with Firstborn (Warlords or Veterans) running around on Raptors (or Carnosaurs) rocking 1+ armor saves and great weapons. 10 man blocks of Saurian Warriors with Jaguar upgrade make great little objective grabbers / chaff units, as do Skinks, either in small "darts" or in blocks backed up by Caimen. I see Spearbacks in lists more often then then not. Finally, sprinkle in some big stompy dinos to taste. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure someone with more experience can give you better advice, but hope it helps!

• Like 1

OK, let's try some lists.  If I stick with Orcs and Gobs (yes, Orchard and Bobby was my stupid autocorrect), how about this:

Iron Orc Warlord w/Axe of the Aporcalypse, Talisman of Greater Shielding

Feral Orc Chief BSB w/Paired Weapons, Glittering Cuirass, Waaarch! Paint

Orc Shaman w/Wizard Master, 2 spells, Hero's Sword, Sceptre of Power, Path of Shamanism

Cave Goblin Witch Doctor w/2 spells, Dispel Scroll, Path of Witchcraft

30 Cave Goblins w/full command, Spear, Shield, 2 Mad Gits

30 Feral Orc 'Eadbashers w/Full Command, Paired Weapons, Banner of Speed

30 Iron Orcs w/Full Command, War Standard

5 Common Orc Boar Riders w/BsB, Mus, Shields, Lances

10 Common Goblin Raiders w/Mus, Lance, Bow,

Gnasher Wrecking Team

Gnasher Wrecking Team

12 Gnasher Herd

Currently I will not be playing (odd number of registered players) so you can scratch one SA. I currently know of 2 other SA lists (one being Diap2012)

SA is the coolest army, so I would not blame you for bringing them. O&G is a close second.

For SA lists, cowboys are still the lay of the land, they just cost a lot more now.

Spearbacks are arguably broken as they seem to eat bricks of infantry better than salamanders

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, Yarbicus said:

OK, let's try some lists.  If I stick with Orcs and Gobs (yes, Orchard and Bobby was my stupid autocorrect), how about this:

Iron Orc Warlord w/Axe of the Aporcalypse, Talisman of Greater Shielding

Feral Orc Chief BSB w/Paired Weapons, Glittering Cuirass, Waaarch! Paint

Orc Shaman w/Wizard Master, 2 spells, Hero's Sword, Sceptre of Power, Path of Shamanism

Cave Goblin Witch Doctor w/2 spells, Dispel Scroll, Path of Witchcraft

30 Cave Goblins w/full command, Spear, Shield, 2 Mad Gits

30 Feral Orc 'Eadbashers w/Full Command, Paired Weapons, Banner of Speed

30 Iron Orcs w/Full Command, War Standard

5 Common Orc Boar Riders w/BsB, Mus, Shields, Lances

10 Common Goblin Raiders w/Mus, Lance, Bow,

Gnasher Wrecking Team

Gnasher Wrecking Team

12 Gnasher Herd

My thoughts when I take a cursory look at this list:

• Lots of characters. I'm curious if you might be better off consolidating into a single level 4 of either flavor.
  • Could use more support. I feel like your two big blocks, while burly, are going to need some friends to overcome other dedicated combat blocks. Chariots, Araknaroks, Trolls... something like this.
  • Unless you need them to fill out your core, that Goblin Raider unit would be better as two units.
  • No Mangler Squigs? They're pretty rad.

Optimization aside, I'm sure it'll work okay as-is. You'll need to play cautiously and leverage your magic superiority to line up favorable encounters is my biggest advice.

12 minutes ago, smashthedean said:

My thoughts when I take a cursory look at this list:

• Lots of characters. I'm curious if you might be better off consolidating into a single level 4 of either flavor.
  • Could use more support. I feel like your two big blocks, while burly, are going to need some friends to overcome other dedicated combat blocks. Chariots, Araknaroks, Trolls... something like this.
  • Unless you need them to fill out your core, that Goblin Raider unit would be better as two units.
  • No Mangler Squigs? They're pretty rad.

Optimization aside, I'm sure it'll work okay as-is. You'll need to play cautiously and leverage your magic superiority to line up favorable encounters is my biggest advice.

I believe the "Gnasher Wrecking Team" is the new Mangler Squigs.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, TheBeninator said:

Currently I will not be playing (odd number of registered players) so you can scratch one SA. I currently know of 2 other SA lists (one being Diap2012)

SA is the coolest army, so I would not blame you for bringing them. O&G is a close second.

For SA lists, cowboys are still the lay of the land, they just cost a lot more now.

Spearbacks are arguably broken as they seem to eat bricks of infantry better than salamanders

Bring your army old chap! The third game on Saturdays is always my downfall and I normally end up going drinking with my opponent so if he declines you can take my spot! ;) 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, TheBeninator said:

Ok, now looking at possible SA list with no Toad. 

What are"Spearbacks" and "Cowboys"?

Yep,

They are pretty versatile alone. A unit of cav is a good call, just in case there are cannons around. Otherwise just throw them into combat, they are tough to break/kill.

Spearbacks are pretty good, they eat chaff for breakfast and are long range for SA (18"). Str 4, AP1, BS4, 2d6 with quick to fire, light troops, M6. Even a flipping 4+ armor save.

They are basically like ogre bombardiers, but better in every way. They were meh with the meta was big death stars. Now that things are more MSU, they wreck face.

I guess their only downside is they cannot flee if charged from the front, though people typically avoid doing that.