Games Workshop is Being Sued For $62.5M

Koyote

Kinda surprised he didn't also mention all the stuff GW "borrowed" from Dune as well.

Also, just because I know it's going to come up over and over again, I'm pretty sure that 3 cents per Model price is ignoring a whole ton of costs involved in the production. I wouldn't be surprised if that's just the cost of the raw plastic itself or something.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

10 hours ago, Raindog said:

Thank you for the update.

Well, was just checking the link I posted earlier. I've really not paid much attention to this thread.

On September 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM, paxmiles said:

Found a neat site that tracks lawsuit progress for this one: https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/21573299/Moore_v_Games_Workshop,_Inc_et_al 

Hasn't been quashed yet, as far as I can tell.

On December 15, 2017 at 2:40 PM, happycamper said:

Interesting.... seemed like a bull[big bad swear word] case anyways

Kinda. I mean, it's definitely true that GW exists by copyrighting public domain content and pretending they invented it, especially the old fluff. That said, not sure why that means that GW owes this guy 62 mil.

9 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Kinda. I mean, it's definitely true that GW exists by copyrighting public domain content and pretending they invented it, especially the old fluff. That said, not sure why that means that GW owes this guy 62 mil.

True, but this guy didn’t have the rights to the copied material either so why would he get to sue for that lol

• Like 1

The way the US legal system works he was suing for other things but that was part of his complaint.  It does not claim to hold sole rights to anything but is mentioned to define a class in case any other plaintiffs want to join the suit.  It was likely also introduced as a means of back-dooring information into the complaint to demonstrate the nature of the defendant (i.e. claims public domain information as protected IP).

There's a reason to avoid reading legal documents unless you really have a vested interest.  The US legal system is all about a specific process which is intentionally obscured so that the layman cannot represent himself and thereby deprive some poor, deserving lawyer of his retainer and $500 per hour.

• Like 2