Fantasy Terrain

Youtube!

There are really a lot of cool videos for making terrain such as hills and rivers with a broad assortment of material types to work with.

As far as buildings and fences go I am still on the lookout, so I will let you know if I find anything. I had considered making my own fencing, but it sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

Trees, depending on your scenery climate, can vary. I have been told that after Christmas, you can get really cheap show covered conifer trees from all of the unwanted nativity sets.

You could also look at warbases.co.uk. I was not impressed by the terrain, but if you like something there, andrewgeddon is making an order sometime soon. You would of course have to some how get it from him (Vancouver WA). Would be a good excuse to come down and get a game :D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBeninator said:

Youtube!

There are really a lot of cool videos for making terrain such as hills and rivers with a broad assortment of material types to work with.

As far as buildings and fences go I am still on the lookout, so I will let you know if I find anything. I had considered making my own fencing, but it sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

Trees, depending on your scenery climate, can vary. I have been told that after Christmas, you can get really cheap show covered conifer trees from all of the unwanted nativity sets.

You could also look at warbases.co.uk. I was not impressed by the terrain, but if you like something there, andrewgeddon is making an order sometime soon. You would of course have to some how get it from him (Vancouver WA). Would be a good excuse to come down and get a game :D.

Doh! I didn't think to bother with YouTube. Wouldn't places like Hobby Lobby, Johannes, and some various hobby stores (model trains, etc.) be good to look for houses or whatever? I'll have to do some wondering around during the weekend. :0)

Yeah I saw that he was! Wish I could b-line it down to Vancouver but I'm gonna have to pass. I'm hoping to make a journey down there soon though!

1 hour ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

You can come to one of our Terrain Days to learn how to create your own terrain.

While I am sure you have an immediate need, we usually have a few of these every year. I am working to get one arranged for October.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Do you happen to have any photos of these events for someone that is introverted as me?

You could probably find something at a hobby lobby or Johannes, but I think you would have to really compromise and be somewhat unsatisfied with what you get. The world of lazercut MDF has come a LONG way in just a few years, and prices are really low for some pretty cool terrain. Some even comes pre painted/textured such as 4Ground.

You can check out http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/3896-28mm-historical#/page-3

Although based in the UK, the shipping is reasonable, and there is a 20% sale store-wide right now. If nothing else this will at least provoke some ideas so to what you want your terrain to look like.

• Like 1

You know, looking into it, this waylandgames sale is pretty freakin' legit to buy all your scenery. Here is enough to outfit a table for less than $100, all pre-painted. Wayland is already cheaper than most other vendors. Add to that an additional 20% off and this stuff is basically free (relative to the typical price of fake model toys). 

Free shipping too!

image.thumb.png.19e5c456cbfa34ff62416540f95bd06a.png

• Like 1

I read into the 4Ground MDF buildings a bit more. The problem with them is that they have no real texture to them (besides the thatched roof). That means that all of the trimming and wooden beams you see are flat and flush. The building is really pretty rectangular, with the exception of the roof (which appears to be textured, but to what quality I am unsure). If you are really particular about the authenticity, then this is not the way to go.

For instance, the stone walls have the appearance of being stones, but are really just flat sides (textured tops). For some this is a mute point because they are using jenga blocks to proxy walls, and MDF would look 10^6 times better. 

If you are going to be transporting your terrain to the FLGS then I think MDF is a good option as it is lightweight and durable (as opposed to resin which can break).

If you like the look of the GW trees, wayland games also has those for like $18-$19 / box. 

waylandgames mdf stuff is pretty cool for the price. There is a guy in our gaming club that bought a bunch of their stuff for Saga terrain and the buildings dont need any paint and look great.

I will also attest to worldsmith industries terrain. Jim does a good job of making fantasy friendly terrain. what I mean by that is a lot of stuff can be removed from the base to allow movement trays to sit on top. They also paint up pretty well. 

If you are feeling especially gutsy you can get some Hirst Art molds and make your own terrain from plaster. I have made a bunch of things for Dark Tower up in bellingham with these molds and they look great and allow for maximum creativity. its kind of like building high quality terrain out of legos. These are expensive and time consuming though so thats the down side.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...