40K 8th ed, Battle Forged, Power Level and Points

andozane

11 minutes ago, andozane said:

OK, am I missing something?

Or do Battle Forged armies only happen if you are building your force with points? 

If you use Power Level, there are no detachments?

Or am I just reading all this wrong?

Battleforged is the "structure" of the army,,you can build an army with any points system and it can Battleforged.Of course we are only dealing with 3 types of point systems,those being "No Points",Power Levels and of course "Points".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scottshoemaker said:

Isn't Battleforged when you use 1 or more detachments to structure your army?  They do give the option to have no structure "put whatever you want" on the table, but not battleforged and it's more for the the models are just cool crowd 

Yup,,no structure or use of battleforge would be just "open" play,,bring what ya want and plop it down.Players could even use power levels or even points for a session like this if they wanted to keep things close.Its essentially what used to be "unbound".

hahaha, i'm just kidding. my serious response is that power levels are great for learning the game. they save a little bit of time at the cost of added variance. the thing is, the time saved is negligible when you have army building tools like battlescribe. so really the only thing power levels do is make the calculation of army size more noisy, which results in games that are less fair. i've played plenty of power level games, but in the end the only motivation i see to using them is laziness. peace and love!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

hahaha, i'm just kidding. my serious response is that power levels are great for learning the game. they save a little bit of time at the cost of added variance. the thing is, the time saved is negligible when you have army building tools like battlescribe. so really the only thing power levels do is make the calculation of army size more noisy, which results in games that are less fair. i've played plenty of power level games, but in the end the only motivation i see to using them is laziness. peace and love!

For Orks battlescribe is so far off as to be useless. Off by 300 points at 2000 point level.

• Like 1