"Minihammer" - 10mm 9th Age?

Anybody check this out? Seems pretty interesting, basically 9th Age cut in half, as far as size:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?thread/23978-minihammer-10mm-portable-adventures-in-the-ninth-age/

Thought this could be a cool way to get someone into the game; Model's don't have the same "Wow factor" as 28mm, but the price for 10mm models is ridiculously cheap compared to most 28mm models, and you can play it on your kitchen table instead of needing a 6x4 space.

17 minutes ago, Grensche said:

Oh man, that looks fun. I can see this game covered with empty Olympia Beer cans and the random Jack In The Box bags as terrain pieces. 

I was looking at Polar Fox miniatures and they have a 10mm Grimgor Ironhide. My eyes lit up like a fat kid in a buffet.

Was looking at Polar Fox's Undying Dynasties stuff, they look great! Still trying to find something to use as 10mm Dryads for my "zero elves" Sylvan Elves :cool:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grensche said:

Oh man, that looks fun. I can see this game covered with empty Olympia Beer cans and the random Jack In The Box bags as terrain pieces. 

I was looking at Polar Fox miniatures and they have a 10mm Grimgor Ironhide. My eyes lit up like a fat kid in a buffet.

What sort of buffet are we talking about?

A cake buffet, or a salad bar?

8 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Was looking at Polar Fox's Undying Dynasties stuff, they look great! Still trying to find something to use as 10mm Dryads for my "zero elves" Sylvan Elves :cool:

They all look good. But man, I'm on a roll painting my orcs at the moment. Just about done painting 40 choppaz and now moving onto 32 arrer boyz. I now have 30 Black Orcs, and 3 River Trolls. HUZZAH!!!

Another miniature maker you should check out is Lancer Miniatures, They mainly make 20mm and 28mm but it's a lot of historical armies and they got some cool Orc miniatures that look like oldschool Warhammer Orcs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

What sort of buffet are we talking about?

A cake buffet, or a salad bar?

Cake, always go with the cake. Who eats rabbit food?

Personally I prefer the Granny's Buffet. One time I went to this Chinese buffet out in Renton called "Foody Goody", big buffet. I ate there twice and on the second time I ate there... Foody Goody wasn't so Goody. Had food poisoning, place was shut down.

5 hours ago, Grensche said:

They all look good. But man, I'm on a roll painting my orcs at the moment. Just about done painting 40 choppaz and now moving onto 32 arrer boyz. I now have 30 Black Orcs, and 3 River Trolls. HUZZAH!!!

Another miniature maker you should check out is Lancer Miniatures, They mainly make 20mm and 28mm but it's a lot of historical armies and they got some cool Orc miniatures that look like oldschool Warhammer Orcs.

Glad to hear the orcs are coming along! My dwarves are horribly slow to start, I basically have 1 clansmen and 1 crossbowmen. Ill have to max out my lord allotment to ease the painting :D.

I never appreciated how easy lizardmen were to paint until I had to start painting bags, shoes, gloves, hair, helmets, pants, shirts, capes.

14 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Just glue some twigs and crap to bases, DONE.

I love the idea of an elf-less elf army. Elves are so stupid, but their army rules are so cool.

5 hours ago, Grensche said:

Yeah, I'm definitely excited to be working on 28mm projects; KoE Duke to Hippogryph is 1/2 built, and I'm excited to put together more bases for my Infernal Dwarf Immortals and start actually building minis. 10mm is just another way to play; I've got a buddy who liked WHFB, but had zero motivation to paint hundreds of models for an army. He's all about Minihammer though; says he would be 100% to play a large Fantasy Battle game at a "proper" scale XD

9 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Yeah, I'm definitely excited to be working on 28mm projects; KoE Duke to Hippogryph is 1/2 built, and I'm excited to put together more bases for my Infernal Dwarf Immortals and start actually building minis. 10mm is just another way to play; I've got a buddy who liked WHFB, but had zero motivation to paint hundreds of models for an army. He's all about Minihammer though; says he would be 100% to play a large Fantasy Battle game at a "proper" scale XD

If I were to get into Minihammer, it would be while listening to heavy metal records and beer. I personally wouldn't paint 10mm miniatures. I'd probably just leave them the way they are.

Yeah I still have to prime the black orcs and trolls. But after reading this community's posts and watching battle reports on YouTube, I'm in 100%. 

10 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

Glad to hear the orcs are coming along! My dwarves are horribly slow to start, I basically have 1 clansmen and 1 crossbowmen. Ill have to max out my lord allotment to ease the painting :D.

I never appreciated how easy lizardmen were to paint until I had to start painting bags, shoes, gloves, hair, helmets, pants, shirts, capes.

I was having the same issue with Orc bags and belts. I just spend one session painting only bags for example. Lately I've been listening to a lot of fantasy tavern music while I'm painting... Kind of sets the mood.

15 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

How many figures are in a 5lb bag? That sounds like quite the force.

Well it's something like;

6x 70x skeletons w/weapons n shields

4x 40x skeletons w/bows

2x 20x skeletons cav

4x screaming skull catapults w/crew

9x bolt thrower w/crew

Various Lords mounted and unmounted, casters, and what appears to be a gigantic tiny Nagash.

They are really cool, but I have zero time for an army like that and as a result have been sitting on a shelf for like 5 years now.

41 minutes ago, scotthartman said:

i also have a ton of humans at 10mm, could be either Empire or Brets. I cant remember when i got them but basically had this same thought many years ago but wasnt able to convince my friends at the time to play smaller scale, despite the huge cost savings.

I costed out a Sylvan Elves army, can't recall if it was 4,500 or 5k points. Thank the cost was about $50 shipped. Price doesn't include bases / trays (or the 3 Dryads I would use as Treeman, heh), but it's still a hell of a savings.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey, this thread! Curious if there are still people in the area interested in playing some “Minihammer?” It’s not nearly as big of a plunge to get into 10mm (priced out my army at ~$100 with the bases / trays), just wanted to see what the interest level is before I start grabbing them sweet pewter Dryads, heh.

• Thanks 1