Raindog's Roots

Okay war gamers, I have been looking throught lists and studying the new Wood Elf book. Dancing, avoidance lists are natural. Elves are in. Forest spirits are out.

I am going to buck trends and try for a balance. On Sunday, I play Rudra and his beasts.

I am thinking of taking,

Spell Weaver, L4, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, and Elven Steed. Lore: Dark Magic -need to make and paint

BSB, Elven Steed, Asrai Spear, Enchanted Spear, HoDA

Way Stalker, Bow of Loren- need to make and paint

15 Dryads

10 Glade Guard w/ Musician and Hagbane Arrows

10 Glade Guard w/ Musician and Hagbane Arrows

10 Glade Guard w/ Musician and Trueflight Arrows - need to paint

5 Glade Riders w/ Musician and Hagbane Arrows

5 Wild Riders w/ Shields, Musician and Standard Bearer

5 Wild Riders w/ Shields, Musician and Standard Bearer - need to fix one

8 Sisters of Thorn, Musician and Standard Bearer, Liche Bone Penant- Need to Make and Paint

8 Treekin, Elder

Great Eagle

5 Waywatchers -need to paint 2

6 Waywatchers -need to make and paint

Treekin, Strangle Roots

I will let you know how it fares.

As to magic, I just want to give Dark a try. I want to try blasting units into small chunks, using vortexes as blocks, and word to win combats. I have still yet to use it, so I want to give it a go.  If it is pants, then, I will try Shadow or Life or Beasts or High……. I am still in the trial phase.

Besides, if I want optimal, I don't think I would take 8 Treekin. Those points could be used for scouts, Wild Riders, or more Sisters/ 

• Like 1

I think in your capable hands, this list will do very well, a mix of shooting and hard hitting units.  To me, those wild riders were meant for Wildform, but I get the Dark Magic, gives you more long range hitting power.  As much as I like the Waywatcher character with two sniper, no armour save shots, (all of my early playing around builds has it) I'm starting to lean toward giving him the ruby ring.

I played two games with the Wood Elves tonight. They are not a combat army. Wet bag bags can kill elves in droves. Treemen, Treekin, and Dryads lack the strength to fight anything. 

The army moves around as well as ever. They dictate the pace and threat ranges, but they are naked T3 troops. 

The game that is left is move for position, delay, magic, shoot, and engage the remnants. In most games, they will be seeking to win by small margins.

Dark Magic is okay. Bladewind is nifty against low WS armies. Doombolt is a no brainer, but I need to keep from casting the higher version of the speed. Shield of Thorns is nice spell and can whittle down opposing units before combat.

The poison arrows are nice, but the no penalties arrow are the better bet. 

I disagree Raindog, I think they are a well balanced army for both shooting and close combat. I do however think you have to set up the units to operate thus.  I'm going to get about a dozen or so games in in the next month and a half to really hone the new army but so far they have proven to be pretty well balanced in all 4 phases of the game.

I disagree Raindog, I think they are a well balanced army for both shooting and close combat. I do however think you have to set up the units to operate thus.  I'm going to get about a dozen or so games in in the next month and a half to really hone the new army but so far they have proven to be pretty well balanced in all 4 phases of the game.

Sylvos,

I would love to hear how you fare. Against Daemons, in a fair fight, I was out matched. My Treeman hit three Beasts of Nurgle in the flank and took 4 rounds of combat to pop them.  Woodies are great on the charge, the counter attack is what makes them wish for run back into the trees.

Cheers,

RD

Sylvos,

I would love to hear how you fare. Against Daemons, in a fair fight, I was out matched. My Treeman hit three Beasts of Nurgle in the flank and took 4 rounds of combat to pop them.  Woodies are great on the charge, the counter attack is what makes them wish for run back into the trees.

Cheers,

RD

And if you were playing a smart player I would have turned to face much sooner and gotten more attacks on him. He had only one wound left in the end.

You're better than me Shane, apparently playing me isn't even a "fair fight."  :sad:

Bronson, 

A fair fight is walking up and hitting your Blood Letters with my best unit in the face. Wood Elves, in my opinion, cannot do that. They have to fight dirty. It has nothing to do with your skills or your list. I am sorry if I have offended you. It was not my intent in any way.

RD