Space Frontier: Kickstarter by local Warhammer player

godswearhats

Hey all,

Aaron (aka Kayosiv on most Warhammer forums) and his buddy John have launched a Kickstarter for Space Frontier, a space-themed boardgame. Aaron is part of my regular WHFB gaming group, and as much as I love the guy, he sucks at marketing himself so I thought I'd give the game a shout out on the forum here :-)

I've playtested the game in its early days, and it plays easily and quickly - the problems I originally had with it were around win conditions, but those have been addressed.

Cheers,

~gwh

• Like 1

Hello all, 1 of the game's designers here. First off, thank you so much to Burk and Generalripphoo, for supporting the project.

If we don't fund our plan is to take a 3 month period to continue improving the game, getting reviews of our prototype, and building up a much more significant fanbase before re-launch. John and I launched a bit earlier than we wanted to due to time constraints. We both start work on a job that will take up virtually all of our free time in July and August, so we decided a campaign that was a little under-built at the start was better than waiting 5 months to launch. This meant that we had a weaker launch than we wanted, but we expected that. Now that we've got positive reviews trickling in, we're gaining momentum and there's been a nice upswing. No guarantees and its going to still take a lot of work, but I think there's still plenty of time left to hit our funding goal.

If anyone has any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.

• Like 1

Hello all, 1 of the game's designers here. First off, thank you so much to Burk and Generalripphoo, for supporting the project.

If we don't fund our plan is to take a 3 month period to continue improving the game, getting reviews of our prototype, and building up a much more significant fanbase before re-launch. John and I launched a bit earlier than we wanted to due to time constraints. We both start work on a job that will take up virtually all of our free time in July and August, so we decided a campaign that was a little under-built at the start was better than waiting 5 months to launch. This meant that we had a weaker launch than we wanted, but we expected that. Now that we've got positive reviews trickling in, we're gaining momentum and there's been a nice upswing. No guarantees and its going to still take a lot of work, but I think there's still plenty of time left to hit our funding goal.

If anyone has any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.

I was just curious as to why you choose 35k

I think that needs to be expanded upon more in the "why we need you" section of our Kickstarter and is one of our next projects in our quest to continuously facelift our project page.

We chose Panda Manufacturing because they have a great reputation for working well with US based game companies and delivering quality results. Panda has a 1,500 unit minimum production run policy. Based on our components, Panda gave us a quote for $13,653 for that production run. Each box is going to cost approximately $8 to ship based on its size and weight, so that adds another $12,000 in money we need. At the total of $25,653, we still need to pay for various things. Freight shipping from China, Shipping fullfillment (not the shipping itself, but putting on all the labels and warehouse storage) barcodes, safety testing, tariff tax etc. all cost money. We estimate this to cost around $3,500. That puts us at needing $29,150 or so and Kickstarter and Amazon take as much as a 10% cut, so we need that too bringing us to about $32,000. We need the remaining $3,000 to pay artists and just have a little bit of extra money if/when things go wrong.

Well we wanted to keep the funding goal as low as possible and $35,000 is already uncomfortably high for some. If all goes well, we only need about 900 backers to fund the project, which means we will have around 500 games to sell for profit (some are likely to be damage, others are needed for replacement parts) either to retail stores or independently. That will not nearly be enough to offset the tremendous workload, but we're willing to take a hit to establish our reputation and our company for future projects.