Realm of Battle: Sector Imperialis

dalmer

It's also almost 1/4 of the cost.  

I'll admit, it is cheaper, but still really expensive. I guess I'm all or nothing, but seems like I'd much rather go with a normal table or an amazing table, than "cheap" out for an $85 mat...

I do like this GW set, but I probably won't buy one. Probably won't get that mat either. My marines fight on a polished wood planet...

Note that the GW board is not a foam mat, but is a collection of 6 2'x2' plastic tiles.  

Yeah, that appeals to me. It also says they use the same plastic as with minis, so you could convert these things.

I'll admit, it is cheaper, but still really expensive. I guess I'm all or nothing, but seems like I'd much rather go with a normal table or an amazing table, than "cheap" out for an $85 mat...

I do like this GW set, but I probably won't buy one. Probably won't get that mat either. My marines fight on a polished wood planet...

The fat mats are not cheaping out. They are super nice, I have three and totally prefer them to the gw plastic table stuff. The texture gw uses makes it hard to put models and terrain elements on.

For me if you have a full sized table roll out the mat, it your table is slightly undersized being able to put a realm of battle board down with its clips will allow you to play. So depends on deployment. If you haven't tried a mat do it before passing judgement as cheap.

• Like 2

The fat mats are not cheaping out. They are super nice, I have three and totally prefer them to the gw plastic table stuff. The texture gw uses makes it hard to put models and terrain elements on.

For me if you have a full sized table roll out the mat, it your table is slightly undersized being able to put a realm of battle board down with its clips will allow you to play. So depends on deployment. If you haven't tried a mat do it before passing judgement as cheap.

Cheap was sarcasm...I did put it in quotes.

For me, $85 isn't cheap at all. Sounds overpriced, even though it's a normal price for those. I've seen the mats in person, played on them and they do add to the game, no question. They are nice, but they aren't $85 nice.

Basically, it's a poster for $85. A fancy poster, no question, but a poster.

Anyway, I like the realm of battle board for the thread. I like it more than those mats. I won't likely buy any of them. They just don't add enough to my enjoyment of the game to rationalize costs. I do think the realm of battle board is about 4 times as awesome as the mats, but I'm still not buying.

For me the mats are totally worth it, the plastic not so much.

By the time you consider paint and flock on a nice diy, you are paying like 20 bucks plus time. For me the longevity and ease of the mats are worth the extra. I can have beater boards I can store and not worry about damage to paint and flock. I'll never need to repair these mats and they bead liquid so no worries about sticky stuff or staining. Can't sing their praises enough really.

I will take this as an opportunity to announce that we will be using and selling these Frontline Gaming mats at OFCC this year. More details to come about pricing and availability.

So if you want to see how they play, you will get that chance this year at our event.

P.S. I think they are a nice addition to our playing field options. I started on plywood so anything better is awesome!

• Like 2

I will take this as an opportunity to announce that we will be using and selling these Frontline Gaming mats at OFCC this year. More details to come about pricing and availability.

So if you want to see how they play, you will get that chance this year at our event.

P.S. I think they are a nice addition to our playing field options. I started on plywood so anything better is awesome!

That is super awesome!

• Like 1

Ooo!...Im just stopping by in the evenings to check out the action,will I still be able to purchase one even though im not actually participating in the event?

I have three FAT Mats and they are so awesome.

I have the Urban pictured above and the deployment zones are so nice to have.

The mats are so much more than just cool looking as they do a dual purpose of making it easy to move minis and your dice don't bounce all over like the GW plastic ones, which i've played on as well. The GW plastic ones the models slide on the slopes and rolling on them is like rolling on a snare drum...so loud!

I also like that they turn any 4x8 surface into an instant quality looking gaming table.

Biggest drawback is the smell though. It still hasn't stopped that mouse pad smell.

• Like 2

Ooo!...Im just stopping by in the evenings to check out the action,will I still be able to purchase one even though im not actually participating in the event?

Yes, of course! We will have a limited quantity but we will not restrict anyone from buying them. And we will be using them all weekend so they will not be available to take home until Sunday night. =)

I have three FAT Mats and they are so awesome.

I have the Urban pictured above and the deployment zones are so nice to have.

The mats are so much more than just cool looking as they do a dual purpose of making it easy to move minis and your dice don't bounce all over like the GW plastic ones, which i've played on as well. The GW plastic ones the models slide on the slopes and rolling on them is like rolling on a snare drum...so loud!

I also like that they turn any 4x8 surface into an instant quality looking gaming table.

Biggest drawback is the smell though. It still hasn't stopped that mouse pad smell.

They are 4x6 correct?