Opinions on trukks.

busbina

They have been good with me when I run the three I have..but those are in smaller games in the 1k-1250 range.Never tried a 1850 list with them as I would think I need at least one more to do that.

Be sure and mix in some Warbikers maybe even Buggies as you really need to overwhelm your opponents weapons that can pop them easily...which usually are many weapons.

Good occupants now are Meganobs,Tank bustas and maybe some Ard boys.Ive also had pretty good showing just running shoota boyz around in a couple of trukks and spamming down infantry targets while getting at least some protection from the Trukk.

Essentially they are still pretty much a staple in a Speed Freak list but of course don't really mix well with Foot lists.

• Like 1

Boss Grukk says dat Trukks is fer humies. Dey ain't worf da reef. What yoo need is loadsa boyz. Dead 'ard mobs of da ladz dat go out and krump stuff. Mobs of 12 boyz is weedy. Mobs of 30 is WAAAUGH!

On a less orky note. Scott has it in one. If you are going trukk centric, go all out. Fire them at the enemy and follow up with battlewagons. The ability to assault with your whole army turn 2 is pretty awesome. As for me, I go the other route. I bring 150 boyz to start my army. Then I go for other stuff. To me, the green tide is where it's at.

Keep yer choppa handy and yer klaw sharp. WAAAUGH!!

I'm shelln' out some teef for a new ork army. I am wondering about trukks, the voice of the intra-webs seems pretty divided. Have you guys had any luck with them?

I used them to move and provide cover for foot sloggers. When used against terrain they create quite a shadow.  In the last game I ran orks with 3 trucks, 3 blobs of orks, 10 meganobz a warboss and Bigmek and 3 x 10 Gretchn.  1500 points I think.  The Trukks did EXACTLY what they should do:  provide me cover and LOS blocking on the approach.

I can't sing the praises of 3 meganobz in a trukk highly enough.  You won't find much better bang for you points.  

The Bowling Ball of Doom is a classic.

I've found in the past that if you've got a big force slamming through the middle of the board, a couple of trukks full of Boyz will often be able to sneak up a flank and cause some problems. Use at least two, tho, one isn't enough hitting power.

They are torpedoes with boys for a warhead. Don't spend any extra points on them . Point them at any enemy and fire. Take at least 4 IMO, saturation is your friend. Get those boys in assault ASAP to shut down your enemies shooting. Follow up with foots loggers or more elites.

This.  When I've played against Orks with only 1-2 trukks, no problem popping them and mopping up the mess from a distance.  Facing 4+ with other vehicle threats to divide your anti-vehicle attention and suddenly you're going to be seeing them make contact somewhere and then they get to start playing their game.

The trukk itself is only a delivery system, at most give it a ram to get thru terrain, otherwise turn one cruise and flat out to set up for a turn 2 assault.

I'm gonna go ahead and break from the majority here because I don't like Trukks- and to be honest I never have. They are more dangerous to your units now (since your Explosions are S4 rather than S3) and Mob Rule means that the ensuing Pinning/Morale check can inflict a significant amount of extra damage. They are also MUCH more fragile than the comparably-costed Rhino without really being any faster, as they just get the extra 6" for a Flat Out move. The ability to put a Rokkit on them certainly helps make them a bit more functional, but it doesn't solve their fundamental problem of fragility.

On top of that, they still only carry twelve Boyz. Orks work by numbers- individually they are pretty weak, but with a low price point they are easily able to swarm the opponent and overwhelm them. The problem here is that twelve Orks- minus however many casualties you take on getting disembarked, minus however many you lose to Overwatch, minus however many you lose to the other guy swinging before you- is not likely to really do all that much damage to most things.; it's simply not enough bodies, and as we already said Orks rely on bodies.

Now, you can compensate for both of these factors by fielding a lot of Trukks, but again- they're not actually particularly cheap compared to other transports and there are much better options available. The Looted Wagon has better AVs for only a slightly higher price tag and the Battlewagon is vastly more survivable and actually isn't much worse on a per-point capacity. While limited FoC slots in previous editions have kept these two from being the entirety of armies, with the ability to grab multiple detachments, including the excellent formation for Battlewagons, largely obviates this problem. If you were going to take eight Trukks, you'd just as well take five Battlewagons instead for a few more points. Just as much carrying capacity, infinitely harder to kill, at least as fast- if not faster- assaults, better deployment options.

A Trukk loaded with Meganobz gets around some- though not all- of these problems when it's part of a list with lots of other vehicles; it's not the worst thing in the world, but that's because Meganobz are good, not because Trukks are.

Also, in terms of using Trukks for scoring objectives... well, that probably won't work. Gretchin can pull it off because they can hide behind things- but completely concealing a Trukk is a lot harder and unlike Gretching shot from any of a number of weapons can end things instantly.

A Trukk loaded with Meganobz gets around some- though not all- of these problems when it's part of a list with lots of other vehicles; it's not the worst thing in the world, but that's because Meganobz are good, not because Trukks are.

Fair enough, but the trukk gives the Meganobz the major thing they are lacking:  speed.  

I used to run two units of trukk boyz, 12 strong with nobz and had them in reserve usually.  This worked great in 5th, but in 6th and now 7th, not being able to assault out of reserve really crimped their potential.  I switched to putting Meganobz in there and haven't looked back since.  

I tend to run a mixed selection of vehicles.  I like trucks as they fit into tighter terrain than my battlewagons.  Plus mine look like hot rods, so that's a reason.  And they go fast, my Evil Sunz like that too.

In short Iike them for themeatic reasons.  I actually don't like GWs Trukk model, too big, too expensive, but the bits are great to build something more appropriate.

• Like 1

Sure, but as I said, a Battlewagon is not really all that much more for the unit (~60pts) and is vastly tougher, arguably faster with the formation, and can carry units other than three MANz if needed.

Only drawback of the formation is you need 5 of them.  For my lists with two units of 3 meganobz, it makes more sense to just get 2 trukks.  

Battle wagonz seem unnecessary when you don't truly care if they live or die.  A proper Ork Waaaaaaagh needs a round of (more or less) unmolested movement to really develop and then if you can buy them that time at the minimal kost of trukks well...  I mean...  You've put another lot of boyz per Battlewagon you didnt take into the force!  THATS a lot of boyz.  Like a lot.  Thats...  Probly more than 2! 

So I mean, 5 battle Wagons?  Does an ork truly hate losing models so much hes willingto lose them in the front end just noit to experince their loss in the back end?  I say NO!

• Like 1

A proper Ork Waaaaaaagh needs a round of (more or less) unmolested movement to really develop and then if you can buy them that time at the minimal kost of trukks well.

If the other guy goes first and you're using Trukks, you aren't gonna get that one round of movement, that's the problem. You're gonna be left with three or five smoking holes in the ground and a bunch of guys who got Pinned and can't go anywhere.

Maybe...  If I dont give them something more interesting to look at....

Besides at that range I can hide the trukkss and make them very much less attractive targets round 1, or even unavailable.  Let them fire at the mobs to the extent they can and accept a few dead orks (or better get them to shoot meganobz).  THEN spring the plan.

I don't think two Trukks of MANz in an otherwise-foot list would be a great way to run things.

I'm glad we can continue our tradition of disagreeing on orks!  It makes me feel like things are still OK in the world.  Things were getting weird when I was agreeing with you too much.   :cool:  :tongue:

• Like 1