Codex bundle theory

Ser Warwick

I don't claim to know anything extensive about business or econmics, and I actually find buying models a manageable hobby thus far in moderation. I was just curious what you guys might think of a hypothetical:

What if GW sold their codex rules all in one book, pared down to just the essentials? No fluff, no pictures, you could get a more traditional collectors edition style codex if you wanted to delve further. These more traditional codices could also add any new models postrelease, so if you love your force and want the shiniest new toys for it you can get the collectors codex (perhaps bundled with said shiny toys at slight discount?)

The way I see it, they could charge a little more than a standard codex for it, say $60-70, update every armies rules at the same time and bundle it for a discount if bought with the main rules. Or better yet it would come standard with the rules, replacing/melding with (the admittedly cool but superfuous) fluff and miniature books.

This way everyone would have access to every army's rules for easy reference, the armies could be more easily balanced because they would be released side by side, and I could see more models being bought because people would be more willing to invest in models they just think look cool because they don't need to buy another book. Also, I doubt there would be a loss in units sold due to most players buying one to two codices on average anyways.

The main caveat I see I new models. Either they could release the new rules in the box like the new nurgle units, or have them in a collectors codex, the latter being less user friendly but still possibly viable.

Just some thoughts to get more players into the game. Thoughts? Is this not as viable as it seems?

TL;DR would bundling codex rules help with revenue and sticker shock for new players?

• Like 1

I was just starting to play 40k and the new Space Wolf codex dropped. I had been building my list around Logan and Terminators as troops...it was not and would not be competitive, but it was legal. New codex landed...and now I have to buy a SECOND codex to play the same list. I have not played a game since. If they did something like the bundled codex I would be all over it. As it stands, I ignore the fluff, don't look at the pictures...all that content they are so proud of is just wasted space to me. And needing to buy 2 codexes to play the army I have built, plus numerous dataslates, extra codexes for every other army just to know what the other guy can or cannot do? Eh, until End Times is the way everyone plays I still have Warhammer. After that, I still have Doomtown...

I was just starting to play 40k and the new Space Wolf codex dropped. I had been building my list around Logan and Terminators as troops...it was not and would not be competitive, but it was legal. New codex landed...and now I have to buy a SECOND codex to play the same list. I have not played a game since. If they did something like the bundled codex I would be all over it. As it stands, I ignore the fluff, don't look at the pictures...all that content they are so proud of is just wasted space to me. And needing to buy 2 codexes to play the army I have built, plus numerous dataslates, extra codexes for every other army just to know what the other guy can or cannot do? Eh, until End Times is the way everyone plays I still have Warhammer. After that, I still have Doomtown...

Similar thing happened for me with Grey Knights. I painted up an inquisitor and vindicare, to use along grey knights with stormtroopers. I rolled with it and got the new codex because I got the older codex cheap. Not too keen on buying two digital codices for 2 units though, I'll just look up the updated assassin rules on blog posts and confer with my opponent.

Also,

Well I'll be, I knew it didn't seem like too ridiculous an idea.

The third edition one was icky. It was nice to start you out, but it was basically the same as the 6th edition book having the profiles in the back. I don't play fantasy, so can't speak to the other one.

I think he's talking about full content.

Yeah, I can't speak myself to either, but I was thinking current codices pared down to their army list entries, special rules and wargear. Altogether I doubt it would be much bigger than the BRB.