Pax's Imperial Army (expanded topic from minotaur/exorcist thread)

Most certainly, work in progress. Exorcists SM with BT chapter tactics and allied GK

Exorcists

HQ - Chappy (TDA, Combi-Melta) Partially Painted/Assembled

Elites - Assault Centurions (3, Hurricanes and Flamers) Partially Painted/Assembled

Elites - Dreadnought (Dual TL Autocannons) Painted, Unbased

Troops - Scouts (5, Cloaks, Sarge with combi-melta) Assembled, unpainted

Troops - Scouts (5, Cloaks, Sarge with combi-melta) Assembled, unpainted

Troops - Scouts (10, CCW+BP, Vet Sarge with power sword+BP) Broken

Heavy - Storm Raven (Cyclone and TL Las) Major Conversion in Progress

Heavy - Devastators (5, 3x Lascannon, Combi-Flamer Sarge) Assembled, Unpainted

Fortification - Vengeance Weapon Battery (1, Quad Icarus, 1x line of Tank Traps) Partially Painted/Assembled

Allied GK

HQ - Brotherhood Champion Partially Painted/Assembled

Elites - Dreadnought (MM, Fist with built in Heavy Flamer) Partially Painted/Assembled

Troops - Terminators (5, Psycannon) Broken

Heavy - Dreadknight (Heavy Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon) Broken

Total 1848pts.

Work in progress. Many models are unpainted, not built, or damaged.

Deployment and unit composition does depend on terrain and opponent for the above army. For example, I can fit both HQs and the centurions into the SR, plus one of the two dreads. In most games this is overkill and dangerous in terms of putting too many units in one target. Against certain deathstars or super heavies, I may consider it, especially if their AA is lacking. 

In terms of BT and GK, mixing units is ideal for psychic defense, as BT have adamantium will and GK are psyker units. Not sure if aegis adds to mixed units.

Tank traps are one I've been thinking about. They are pretty cheap and grant 4+ cover to those behind them. Having the ability to place impassible terrain also has some nifty applications.

Scouts are amazing and easily one of the more underused units in the SM army. Those cloak squads are solid backfield outflankers, plus they double as early game objective holders/contesters.

I do intend to add backstory and character names to the models once I get a more consistent army,

With the above list, suggestions to make it better could be helpful. I'll warn you, I'm stubborn, but I do listen to advice, even if not always able to yield to a good suggestion...

EDIT: 11/26/2014: Updated model conditions. Will further update as models get painted.

Got a game in against blob astra. Only two game turns completed due to the sheer number of models, and that we both enjoyed chatting. Had a bunch of fun.

Unit by unit summary.

Chappy+GK terms

Never disembarked SR

SR

Arrived turn 2, plunked two hp off an enemy vulture, stunned it, and got it to jink. 

Camo Scouts

Outflanked to secure an objective. Attempted to clear out the objective's defending IG, damaged them, but couldn't charge due to the outflank. Useful.

Melee Scouts

Occupied a ruin (rubble with barricades/walls) mid board. I got siezed on, so they became the primary enemy target and tanked shooting like champs. They didn't give up first blood until turn 2. At one point, vet sarge challenged yarrick and failed to hit with all three attacks (despite BT rerolls). Sad face.

Vengeance Quad Las and Tank Traps

Forgot the tank traps. Quad las hit, but failed to pen a chimera turn 1. Turn 2, shot, but didn't damage enemy vulture behind a wall/barricade.

Brotherhood Champion

Started with the centurions on foot, became a liability and ran solo after opponent brought a Culexus near to the Centurions. Killed a few guardsmen, nothing special accomplished. Not sure if viable. Might replace with another GK HQ option.

GK Dread

Popped a Chimera. Didn't die.

Rifle Dread

Failed to pen enemy vehicles. Fail.

Devastators

Major issues rolling pen rolls with lascannons this game. These guys killed nothing.

Dreadknight

The perfect weapons for this game. Though my rolling wasn't always: heavy psycannon large blast scattered 7" and rolled to wound against the Dreadknight, but failed to wound itself. Died end of turn two after lucky plasma overwatch. Killed lots of Guard. Incinerator may have been better, but I was pretty happy with these weapons in this game.

Army thoughts:

-Brotherhood champion competes with BT desire of challenges and is probably a bad inclusion. As I read it, BT characters can't issue or accept challenges while he remains in the squad, as his is worded as "must" accept or issue.

-Scouts were amazing once I re-read BT chapter tactic's Crusader rule. Allows extra die for run moves, pick the highest. This means that my scouts move 3d6, pick the highest, in movement through terrain, and 2d6, pick the highest, in the shooting phase. They can really book it across the field, especially in terrain.

-Might look into replacing Quad Lascannon with one of the new-ish SM AA tank options. Not sure if the tank traps are needed, either. Not fielding a fortification would mean less books needed...

-SR can be taken from either codex without a cost change. I gain a psyker if from the BT codex and occupies a fast slot.

-Very happy with BT chapter tactics. I think they are a good fit. I also think the GK really add to the BT.

Hmm...Think I'm a point over, but this one is interesting:

HQ - Chappy (TDA, Combi-Melta)

Elites - Assault Centurions (Flamers+Hurricanes)

Elites - Dreadnought (2x TL Autocannon)

Troops - Scouts (10, CCW+BP, Vet Sarge with Power Weapon+BP and a melta bomb)

Troops - Scouts (10, Cloaks, Sniper Rifles)

Troops - Scouts (5, Cloaks, Sarge with Combi-Melta)

Heavy - Hunter

Heavy - Devastators (3x Lascannons, Combi-Flamer Sarge)

Allied GK

HQ - Libby (Hammer, Fury of Deimos)

Troops - Terminators (5, Psycannon)

Fast Attack - Storm Raven (Typhoon+TL Lascannon)

Heavy - Dreadknight (Heavy Psycannon)

Total should be 1851pts. There is a 1pt undercosted combi-melta for my TDA chappy, but I'm not sure if it's FAQed and I missed it or if battlescribe is wrong.

Changes:

-Brotherhood champion got dropped for the Libby. Cheaper by 25pts. Doesn't interfer with BT challenges. Hammer is nice in any unit. The Fury of Deimos makes this guy very nicely add-able to a scout sniper unit.

-SR is now GK SR, no role changes, just makes it a psyker for no cost other than changing the slot.

-Terms had incorrect points before, so they are 7pts cheaper in this list...

-Scouts gained a 10-man sniper cloak squad, a third bolter cloak squad, and melta bombs for the melee scout squad.

-Dreadknight lost the psilencer. Decided I'd rather have the 30pts elsewhere than a second weapon here.

-Dropped the quad icarus vengence battery for a hunter. Not sure if I like this option. Very tempted to replace devs with two more of these. I like the idea of shredding a flying MC in a single turn. That said, I don't encounter them enough to justify it. Not sure if viable.

-List gains one level of psyker, as libby is level 2.

Noted in another thread that I really don't have a solution to opponent's having armor-denying melee units. Looking at 5++ at best with the above.

Other interesting bit, which I had overlooked, is that the GK can cast Sanctuary on a joined Storm Shield unit, to get a unit of 2++ saves. Could potentially make a Command squad more viable than a TDA squad, as they can take the storm shields, but retain assault grenades, special weapon access and so forth.

Divination access too, used to bolster devastator shooting. Some potent offensive potential with thunderhammers/powerfists and hammer hand.

Also, looks like I was wrong, the storm raven isn't a psyker in this edition. Difference is purely in the slot and detachment.

Another interesting one is including a techmarine. Was looking into one with a conversion beamer, and realized that the GK techmarine costs the same as the SM master of the forge. 1 less wounds, attacks, and BS, but gains the psyker rule with hammerhand and banishment as default powers. GK one also has conversion beamer access and could take that Fury of Deimos instead of the libby. So many options...

Hmmm...Looks like I could field a "Nemisis Strike Force" special GK detachment instead of the allied detachment I've been doing. There's really no downside vs the allied detachment. The only concern would be if the detachment prevents mixing BT and GK in units during deployment. I don't see anything to this effect, but it does modify things that ought to be affected.

You can still Deploy GK Characters with BT Units if you're using the NSF. Just not if they're going in Reserves, as I understand it. But the NSF doesn't require you to Deep Strike stuff. It just affects how stuff you Deep Strike works. So you could still, say, start a GK Libby with your Devs or Command Squad or whatever.

Just wondering, how did you conclude this one?

“Instead of making Reserve Rolls from the start of your turn two, you can make Reserve Rolls for any unit in this Detachment that is placed in Deep Strike Reserve from the start of your turn one.”

There's nothing in there anywhere that requires you to put dudes in Reserves. It just modifies how you deal with Units that are placed in Deep Strike Reserve.

Actually, looking at it again (I was going from memory on that other post), I really don't see any particular restrictions on Joining Characters across Detachments there. You probably could put a Terminator Chaplain or whatever in with a NSF Termie Squad and have them Deep Strike on Turn 1.

The GK Stormraven isn't a psyker, just FYI. The ony GK vehicle with Psychic Pilot is the Dreadnought.

Also, looks like I was wrong, the storm raven isn't a psyker in this edition. Difference is purely in the slot and detachment.

:biggrin:

Actually, looking at it again (I was going from memory on that other post), I really don't see any particular restrictions on Joining Characters across Detachments there. You probably could put a Terminator Chaplain or whatever in with a NSF Termie Squad and have them Deep Strike on Turn 1.

Yeah, that's why I've been asking. Glad your seeing it too. Mind you, it's still a normal reserve roll, so I could still fail and they'd stay in reserve. The interesting bit is that not only are they not required to go in reserve for the detachment, but the turn 1 reserve roll is listed as something you "can" do, so I don't think you have to arrive turn 1 if you opt not to roll.

And of course, GW has no FAQ comments on the subject of joining characters.

The downside, as read it, is that the NSF lacks the objective secured rule that the CAD and allied detachments have, so I sacrifice a troops slot's objective secured for the ability to land earlier.

The NSF can actually field LoWs too, though they have a special restriction that only GK or non-faction models can be included (I think non-faction means fortifications). I think this would prevent things like imperial knights, as they are armies of the imperium, but not GK. Most events are 0-1 LoW anyway, so it only serves to add additional choices for my LoW.

Exorcists SM (Black Templars)

HQ - Chaplain (Combi-Melta, TDA)

HQ - The Emperor's Champion

Elites - Vanguard Veterans (7, 7xStorm Shields, 6x Melta Bombs, 7x BP+CCW - I get that they don't bonus attacks)

-Dedicated Drop Pod

Elites - Dreadnought (Dual TL Autocannons)

Troops - Tactical Squad (10, Flamer, Vet Sarge with Fist and Combi-Flamer)

-Dedicated Rhino

-Dedicated Rhino

Heavy - Storm Raven (TL Lascannon+Typhoon)

Allied GK

HQ - Brother Captain Stern

Troops - Terminators (5, 5x Paired Falchions)

Total: 1848pts (might be 1849, still unsure with the chappy combi points)

Totally undecided with the Exorcists' troops, I've got 600pts there for them. I decided that if I didn't intend to use the deep strike, it was probably better to take the objective secured "allied" GK, even if only for the one squad.

I'm really not sure who the warlord is.

Deployment:

Emperor's champion and stern join the vanguard vets in the pod. Turn 1 they arrive and really mess with deployment zones/objectives. They bring several threats. Sterns has Sancturary stock, if he passes a psychic test, most of the unit is 2++, while the characters are a "meager" 3++ (stern and champion both normally have 4++). So aside from being annoying to shoot at, Stern also has hammerhand stock, which makes the champion much more troubling as his default weapon is ap2. Unit is also rolling 4+ deny rolls (re-rolling 1s). Unit champion is without melta bombs, but he can use heroic intervention to take the place of the champion, should I find a battle he really wants out of (bored, perhaps). Last, unit has heroic intervention which also means they don't suffer for making a disordered charge, so if opponent opts to not lock me in assault, they must worry about those 6 melta bombers charging different targets than my champion...

Chappy joins the Terminators in the Storm Raven. Not only are the terms objective secured, but they are basically 15pt cheaper lightning claw terminators with hammerhand and assault grenades....Yeah, I think GW underpriced them a bit.

Scouts outflank.

Tactical Squads and Rifle dread make a fort somewhere and camp, or move somewhere and camp...

Anyway, work in progress. Troops need work, though I think having 785pts in objective secured is a pretty good start. I am really liking how the non-troops are looking in this list, though I am certainly venturing into a very cheesy domain.

I've lost focus, haven't I? I've still got allies....

Okay, so how does the above look with DA instead of BT?...Wow, not a huge difference.

Exorcists SM (Black Templars)

HQ - Interragator Chaplain (Combi-Melta, TDA)

HQ - Eziekiel (Placeholder  Character, 5pts more than emperor's champion)

Elites - Company Veterans (7, 7xStorm Shields, 6x Melta Bombs, 7x BP+CCW - I get that they don't bonus attacks)

-Dedicated Drop Pod

Elites - Dreadnought (Dual TL Autocannons)

-Rhino

-Rhino

Allied GK

HQ - Brother Captain Stern

Troops - Terminators (5, 5x Paired Falchions)

Fast - Storm Raven (TL Lascannon+Typhoon)

Total is 1877 of 1850. First time I did it, it was cheaper. Looks like the list above forgot that tactical squads paid for rhinos. Fail. I'll fix it above. Anyway, 29pts more expensive.

Anyway, cost differences are scouts at +5pts each unit (DA auto pay for sniper rifles), Chappy requiring to be improved chappy variant to take TDA for +21pts, the Eziekiel place holder for +5pts, and the company veterans which are actually -7pts.

In terms of rule gains/losses (aside from Eziekiel/emperor's champion placeholder swap):

-All around loss of BT special rules (Crusader, Adamantium Will, BT challenge bonus for characters)

-chappy gains +1 BS, +1 wound, +1 intiative, +1 attack, Prefered Enemy CSM, and a few rules he can't use with his role of being attached to the GK terms and loaded in a flyer.

-Scouts only lose. They increase in points, and they gain nothing because DA codex doesn't give their "chapter tactics" to their scouts...

-Vanguard Vets get replaced with Company Vets. Main difference is a decrease in points and loss of the heroic intervention rule. They gain the DA Stubborn variant (Stubborn, but can't voluntarily fall back).

-Tactical Squads also gain the DA Stubborn Variant.

I will add that part of the codex difference being so small relates to me the player fence sitting with the codex swap. The SM grav weapons are pretty impressive and my BT don't have any because I'm not sure if I'll keep the codex. I haven't been using the SM relics for this reason too. The DA codex also has certain codex units and upgrades which the above list doesn't utilize, but would if I were planning to go with DA.

Not sure what I've decided, but the slim difference in unit army costs is...amusing.

Hmm...that did spark some ideas...

If going BT, could take GK techmarines in the tactical squads. Very expensive, but replaces powerfist and combi-melta on the sarge, plus displaces a member of the squad, so the net increase is more like 35-ish points per squad. Big change is that the squad gains a psyker, which stacks with their adamantium will. The techmarine also has the servo harness, so an plasma and flamer and adds a few ap1 power fists in melee. Techmarine also adds 1 warp charge and hammerhand, so some applications there.

If going DA, Could do the same thing, but swap out the stock techmarine melee weapon for a nemisis warding stave, which would also add adamantium will to the unit. Doesn't add back the other BT rules, but I do have that option. Given the DA already have stubborn, would make for a hard as nails type troops unit (stubborn, 4+ deny rolls...).

In both cases, techmarines are one free slot per GK HQ, so two units like this means GK need to be either a full CAD, or NFS (and therefore lose objective secured). It also means another GK HQ needs to be purchased/selected. Could also just drop the tactical squads down to 1 unit, instead of 2, then I'd only need the one techmarine.

Another key thought is that Stern is 185pts, but a level 3 GK libby is 135pts. If willing to gamble for sanctuary, I do save quite a few points and some tactical flexibility. This can be further increased with the GK relic: Domina Liber Daemonica, which adds another roll for Sanctuary for 25pts (other effects too).

The other point worth noting is that those vanguard vets are very close to TDA storm shield prices. They are cheaper, but in the quantity I've taken (7) I could save points on a 5-man TDA unit with storm shields. Mind you, the Emperor's champion can't deep strike with them, so I'd have to drop him which creates new issues, given that he's really cheap/amazing for what he does. Much better than the GK Brotherhood champion, especially while not in a challenge (because how many opponents really accept challenges...especially with a challenge monster like the brotherhood or emperor's champions?).

Anyway, just thoughts.

Vanguard Vets start getting overpriced really fast. Usually it ends up being more efficient to either go with Hammernators or Honour Guard.

Also, re: the slim difference between DA and BT for the list: I've been saying for ages that DA could easily be folded back into the SM Dex. Wouldn't take much more than BT have in there.

Vanguard Vets start getting overpriced really fast. Usually it ends up being more efficient to either go with Hammernators or Honour Guard.

Also, re: the slim difference between DA and BT for the list: I've been saying for ages that DA could easily be folded back into the SM Dex. Wouldn't take much more than BT have in there.

Those vanguard vets are 34pts each (squad lead is 29pts), and grant pod access which is the entire reason that the emperor's champion is able to join them. If emperor's champion could take TDA, could just DS the entire unit with legion of the damned, which would be very much cheaper.

Only disadvantage to that would be that DA would no longer be GW's test SM codex....Been that for codex versions now (that I recall). DA were the first chapter to get combat squads in their codex.

Oh, in regards to the Emperor's Champion Vs the Brotherhood Champion, deal is that the Emperor's Champion is better outside of a challenge. This is mostly because the Emperor's Champion has an AP2 melee weapon and a pistol, while the Brotherhood Champion has a AP3 melee weapon and a storm bolter (no more true grit with storm bolters...). In a challenge, both are AP2, so it's less an issue. But really, not everyone I play against accepts challenges, most cower behind a blob of infantry. Brotherhood champion is also 10pts more, but isn't a unique character.

DA were the first to get Combat Squads back. All Marines had it in 2nd Ed, even Space Wolves. But yeah. I'd like someone else to be the tester MEq Dex for a while :P

Interesting, didn't play in 2nd.

Really too bad GW must change the rules so often that they need a tester codex.

On a side note, Been following the Pathfinder RPG for a bit now. They are in an interesting situation, where they've easily already produced more than an edition's worth of material, but due to the contract with D&D they can't make a new edition. It's causing them to be rather creative in the rules they add to the game. It would be very interesting if GW just stopped making new editions, and just focused on what they can do within an edition.

Okay, gave it thought. I think I'm going to stick with the DA. I think with GK allies I can solve the issues I was having and make a much more fluffy army. I do think that DA have the best rules for my Exorcists, which is why I picked them before. As for competitive, I'm well aware that my main issue has been a lack of desire to run a competitive build. I think the DA/GK army can certainly pull it off, though it will take tinkering. I'm going to try.

So, I suppose I have a SM codex, 3 assault centurions, and a few other units I'll probably be selling/trading in the future.

Weird one, might work. Iffy.

Grey Knights and Exorcists (DA)

Grey Knight Nemisis Strike Force

HQ - Stern

(Non-slot) HQ - Techmarine (Conversion Beamer)

Troops - Terminators (5, all dual Falchions)

Allied Exorcists (DA)

HQ - Interrogator Chaplain (TDA)

Elites - DW Knights (10, Relic)

Troops - Scouts (10, Sniper Rifles, Cloaks)

Heavy - Land Raider Redeemer (DW vehicle, MM)

Total: exactly 1850pts

Extremely small list. Might still be viable, depends on opponent.

Stern joins Giant DW Knight unit. He can use sanctuary to give them 2++ and himself a 3++. He also has hammer hand, which has good potential for turns after the "smite mode" is used. Chappy might join this unit, if it seems that they'll need the help. Relic gives the unit adamantium will.

GK terminators embark in the LRR. The DW vehicle makes it venerable.

Scouts join techmarine and camp in fortified terrain. Their role is objective holding, extreme range AT (beamer) and snipers.

Dreadknights destroy things, as normal.

5 Targets on the battlefield makes for an unforgiving army. Still, lots of durable units and units which cannot be ignored. AA is unfortunately reliant on snap weapons, in particular the heavy psycannons and redeemer TL assault cannon.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, looking though the DA codex. Amazing codex and better than Codex SM in several ways, but also has several glaring weak points which the SM codex has very well covered.

Weak points:

1) No affordable and reliable AA. Looking at flakk missiles and overpriced flyers.

2) No non-psychic solutions for cover denial. Flamers, auspex, and whirlwind. Nothing solid to cope with 7th jink saves.

3) Nothing is cheap. Entire codex is a few points more for just about everything. Scouts cost more, terminators cost more, bikes cost more and so forth. The extra cost is justified in awesome rules, but the high cost is annoy in itself and makes the DA less forgiving than other SM armies.

Point isn't to complain, but to identify what I need my allies, fortifications, and lords or war to cover for the army.

GK Storm Ravens and Quad Icarus fortifications can cover the lack of AA well enough. Those heavy incinerators, and even the regular incinerators, preform the role of cover denial quite well. GK terminators actually qualify as cheap troops when compared to DA terminators (60pt cheaper (5-man) terminators...).

What I would like to know is what you think DA does better...

Defense, for one.

Really, though, barring the lack of AA and cover denial weapons, the DA codex is on par with the SM codex, if not better. It just has tons and tons options, many of which have great synergy with eachother.

DA does have a rather redundant number of defensive upgrades and buffs.

List of defensive buffs/upgrades:

-Darkshroud's Shroud of Angels

-Ezekial's Book

-Power field Generator

-Displacer Field

-Shroud of heroes

-Sacred Standards

-Perfidious Relic of the Unforgiven

-Conversion field

-Deathwing Vehicle

-Most ICs are fearless, terminators are fearless, most infantry are stubborn

-DW Knight's Fortress of shields

-RW grenade launcher's Stasis grenades and the Dark Talon's Stasis Bomb

Oh, and Divination as stock psychic disipline for our psykers...

Here, rather than the list, let me explain it.

Libby wants FNP so he's got a save against perils. Shroud of heroes does this. I can also obtain via a Standard of Fortitude.

Melee character want to keep his bonus attacks while having 3++ save. Displacer field does this.

I want to add a cheap invulnerable save to my techmarine or libby. Conversion Field adds a 4++ for only 15pts.

I want a invulnerable save for my vehicle. Power field generator adds a 4++.

I want my existing awesome jink or cover save to be even more awesome. Shroud of Angels does this, as would a shroud of heroes for a lone biker character.

I'm worried about my biker character being only T5, so prone to instant death against S10 weapons. Fortress of Shields 1 toughness for my biker character (making them T6).

I'm worried my vehicles are too low WS in melee, which makes them really easy to hit with grenades. Ezekiel has a book which adds to the vehicle's WS (as well as any other friendly unit).

I'm concerned my infantry will flee. My models are almostly entirely stubborn or fearless and we can even get them a standard to grant re-rolls to these and counts as an extra kill for combat resolution.

My opponent has higher initiative/WS and I need to swing first to be impressive in assault. Stasis grenades and Stasis bombs lower the enemy WS and initiative, allowing DA to swing first.

I have a blinding weapon that needs to be more awesome. How about we use stasis grenades or bombs to reduce their initiative prior to the blinding test....

I'm worried by land raider isn't durable enough....Well, how about we add the venerable rule, a 4++ and put it in fortified terrain, then further boost the cover save via a Shroud of angels....