Getting started with Blood Bowl?

Andrewgeddon

Howdy all!

So recently, as my Fantasy Ogres are 99% done and and dragging my feet with my Dark Elves, I've been loafing around on the computer and have been revisiting some of my old Steam games, one of them being Blood Bowl. While I'll admit there are times when I do know why certain things happen in the game, I'm really enjoying it. I've always loved the flavor of BB, and it's what always pops to mind whenever I hear someone mention "Fantasy Football."

I had considered getting into the actual mini game some time ago; at the time BB was still supported by GW, and the prospect of picking up the starter set seemed really appealing to me: I would get the pitch and all the tokens / counts / whathaveyou that I would need, along with 2 teams to help "entice" my friends to try it out, since they wouldn't have to buy any minis. Now that it's no longer supported, it seems the set has sky-rocketed in price. Currently the only complete set on ebay is going for like $250, which is too rich for my blood.

As someone who has never really seen an actual game of BB being played, I'm curious what all do I need to get, with the idea of being able to play at home? Teams obviously (I'm eyeing Chaos Dwarfs myself, and would like to have a "spare" team for friends), along with the pitch, etc. Where should I look outside of GW for this stuff?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

A lot of teams can be converted up from fantasy and 40k minis. The first place to look for teams is Impact Miniaturtes. They sell a number of alternative companies minis.

Thank you sir! I appreciate the tip. I've been looking at comixininos, and I really like their Chaos Dwarf / Nurgle range, but I'll be sure to check out Impact as well.

I guess I'm more curious as to what other stuff I'll need to actually purchase to start playing (since I'll have to buy the stuff piece-meal), aside from the teams? I've been looking at mats, and everything I've seen has been either puzzle-style or "plastic," which I'm assuming is like a laminated mat? is there anything like a Frontline Gaming Fat Mat for BB? Also assuming I'll need dice and a passing ruler, maybe a dugout. 

The club owns a few vinyl pitches that were purchased here. These come with dug outs on the mats.

The only other thing you really need dice. 3 block dice, a D8, and 2D6.  I also like having a D12 or D20 for league play to determine who gets the MVP for the game. You can still find block dice on ebay or you can pick up a set from Impact Miniatures under "Fantasy Football Dice".

There is no need for a passing template.  There is a chart that is standard now for it. Here is the Passing Sheet that will have the chart on it.

• Like 1

I thought the first step to starting blood bowl was cultivating a healthy amount of self loathing?

Practicing throwing dice...

Being able to consistently roll a 1 when you absolutely least need it...

Oh... And punching oneself in the nuts repeatedly...

:)

Oh god...I'm usually a really good sport. Blood Bowl has succeeded, once, at making me get so pissed off that I threw dice. Sorry for the (indirect, bounced off the wall) dice to the face, Shane!

There is no need for a passing template.  There is a chart that is standard now for it. Here is the Passing Sheet that will have the chart on it.

The passing template is needed to determine who can intercept, if you are being competitive about it. In a 'friendly' game, you can just wing it.

Blood Bowl is fun, and I wish we played more of it. The league a few years ago was going strong for a while, but kinda fell apart. Depending on how the OFCC schedule is this year, I kinda want to do either Rat City Rumble (if they are still going) or SPIKE this coming year.

I think putting together and/or converting your team is a really fun part of it. I made a Norse team, the Isefjord Pillagers, from GW marauder bits and some Reaper minis.

IMG_9045.jpg

If you want a second team to have friends play, Orcs is always a good choice. Humans get a bit of everything too (that's I'm sure why Orcs v Humans are the teams in the old retail box).

Depending on the version of the computer game you've been playing, you may or may not be familiar with the latest rules that most of the tourneys use, the CRP, along with the extra teams.

With the release of a bunch of LotR and Hobbit sets, I may have to look into putting together my custom Lego High Elves again...

Let me know if you get stuff together, I'd love to play. I have a team and lots of dice; just no pitch.

If you haven't played yet I highly recommend borrowing or buying a human or Ork team.

Yes boring but you can learn the game a bit before plopping down the change on a nice chaos dwarf team :)

That might not be a bad idea. If nothing else, Orcs look fairly easy to convert using stock GW models (just chop off the weapons), plus having 2 teams around is kinda a goal anyway.

• 3 months later...

I have the PC game "Blood Bowl:Chaos Edition" is that a computer version of the board game?

I think one of my kids had me get it off steam a while back and I didn't realize it was based on the GW game.

Seems theres a lot of interest in the Minis game now and im sure I have the models for at least an Orc team.If I get into it then maybe I can hop in on one of the league runs in the future:)

I have the PC game "Blood Bowl:Chaos Edition" is that a computer version of the board game?

I think one of my kids had me get it off steam a while back and I didn't realize it was based on the GW game.

Seems theres a lot of interest in the Minis game now and im sure I have the models for at least an Orc team.If I get into it then maybe I can hop in on one of the league runs in the future:)

The PC version is pretty faithful to the board game with a couple of minor wrinkles. Nothign to worry about as it affects some more esoteric skills. Play it in the turn based mode, and just keep an  eye on dice rolls etc.

Also i would use it to move your players one square at a time instead of just clicking on a destination. It's easy to get suckered into moving through squares you wouldn't normally move through if you don't "pretend" it's a board game. Hit me up on Steam if you want to play. I'm there under Fitzeh

• Like 1