Escalation League advice

jdw1710

Hello,

I'm considering joining a local escalation league hosted by my local hobby store as a way to getting into playing 40k. I'm basically a new player so don't quite know what I'm in for when joining up and playing this game as a hobby.  Any honest feedback is greatly appreciated:

My questions: 

The league starts at 500pts and will grow at 500 pts per increment (2 weeks or 1 month...that's undecided).  Approximately how much time and $$$ does it take to keep up with that pace?  Would I be spending roughly $100 to $250, $250 to $500, or ?$$$ per increment. 

I'm considering either Eldar, Tau, or Space Marines.  Would these be good newbie starter armies?

Is an escalation league the best way to start off in hobby, test the waters?   If not, what is the best way for a new player break into this hobby?

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

• Like 1

SM are great and super easy to start. Escalation leagues are good, though just asking around for low point games is also a winning tactic.

I'd suggest against Tau or Eldar unless you have a strong attachment to the look. No offense to either army intended, both have rather specific play styles and  are less forgiving as starting armies. SM are very forgiving for a new player to learn with.

For a new player, I suggest seeing if you can get a cheap army in the trading section of this forum, on ebay, or on another site. Get a used army, ideally metal models. Metal because it's easy to take the paint off, when and if you screw up. Metal models also often require less assembly.

Starter army is about learning the game. Play to learn.

EDIT: you asked cost, try 40-60% of GW retail for used models. You can get them cheaper, but that's the target range. I'd try to get about 60 marines for a 2000pt list if you intend to field vehicles, while you'll want closer to 100 marines if you run them all on foot. If you buy terminators, just figure 1 terminator equals 2 marines for the above estimates.

So for cost, your looking at roughly 2 dollars per marine ($4 each GW retail, $5 per terminator), so ideal target is around $200 for 100 marines on foot. Might be hard to get this many in metal.

Acetone (like nail polish remover) will strip paint for you on those metal models, so don't worry about buying metal ones with bad paint jobs. Acetone will metal plastic and finecast models, so do not use it on them.

500pts every two weeks will actually be a fair bit of assembly work in most cases. Money-wise, it can vary greatly depending on what army you play and what units you're buying- but a safe figure would be $100-200.

I would definitely steer towards monthly increments, or even monthly increments with smaller gradation (200pts each month, etc.)

Thanks paxmiles for the advice!  Greatly appreciated. 

So, roughly going with your pricing each month for 500 pts added to the army = 25 "generic" marines (let's say $3 with paint, glue, etc.) and maybe something special (vehicle, character, specialized squad) (add ~$30) all equals to about $100-$150 per increment.  So, if the league goes to 2000 pts it will be about $500 total.

Thanks AbusePuppy!

Your numbers sounds about right on track along with paxmiles guess.  After reviewing the hobby stores site it does look like once a month.   Now, I just have to figure out if I truly have enough time for the hobby (buying, assembling, painting, learning, practicing, playing the games)...it's pretty involved.

So, roughly going with your pricing each month for 500 pts added to the army = 25 "generic" marines (let's say $3 with paint, glue, etc.) and maybe something special (vehicle, character, specialized squad) (add ~$30) all equals to about $100-$150 per increment.  So, if the league goes to 2000 pts it will be about $500 total.

One thing you can do to cut down on that cost is to get one of the the starter sets with two base armies, sell the one you don't want and use that to purchase more models. I've know people that have made large armies almost completely with those starter sets.

• Like 1

Sounds about right based on paxmiles comments.  After reviewing the hobby stores site it does look like once a month.   Now, I just have to figure out if I truly have enough time for the hobby (buying, assembling, painting, learning, practicing, playing the games)...it's pretty involved.

But the cool thing about that is if you stick with it you will have a fully painted playable army when it is done. :)

• Like 1

You're welcome.

In regards to specialized squads, something new players often don't realize is that you can make most of those with basic models, especially with SM.

In example, a basic space marine with a bolter can be any of the following with no conversions (as in, no alterations to the stock model) or alternate painting:

-Chapter master

-Captain

-Veterean Sergeant.

-Sergeant

-Devastator marine

-Tactical Marine

-Sternguard Veteran

-Command Squad Veteran

With an alternate paint job, could also be:

-Chaplain (black paint, often with skull helmet detailing)

-Librarian (blue paint)

-Techmarine (red paint)

-Legion of the Damned Legionnaire (black with flame and skeletal detailing)

Technically: the techmarine should have a wrench or servo arm backpack. Librarian should have a force weapon. Chaplain should have a Crozius Arcanum. These details matter at an event, but aren't huge for starter armies.

For a starter army, the basic colors should work just fine. Putting any HQ models on a taller base (so they stand above others) can do wonders for distinguishing a bolter marine from a bolter chapter master.

New players often don't get this and buy one of those really expensive single models to represent their HQs. They are pretty models for HQs, but it certainly isn't required and will certainly clash with a budget.

One thing you can do to cut down on that cost is to get one of the the starter sets with two base armies, sell the one you don't want and use that to purchase more models. I've know people that have made large armies almost completely with those starter sets.

This route works too.

All of the above posts are spot on.

If on a budget picking up discounted models is a no brainer. If the price isn't prohibitive new kits are nice as you have total control over assembly and paint.

If you find you enjoy the game the monthly point increases should set a good pace for collecting/painting/playing. You'll figure it out quick if you can fit it into your life :)

As to what army to collect, I would say only this. Do a bit of reading (sounds like you have already if narrowed to tau/eldar/SM) and choose the one you like the look of and story (fluff) for the most.

A model/army can have the best rules in the world on the table, but if they don't 'do it' for you you'll be missing a huge part of the hobby.

Hope this helps. :)

Good luck with the league.