5th E D+D FAQs

Raindog

Ando, 

My first question, page 58, in the cleric section. The number of spells are your Level plus your Wisdom modifier. 

At first level, even though a cleric has the access to two spells according to the Cleric chart, they can only use the spells if they have a  bonus to the cleric's Wisdom score. 

Question One.

Does a  first level cleric with a Wisdom of 16 start with four spells?

Next, the example the book gives is for a Level 3 with a Wisdom of 16.  The cleric had access to four L1 spells and two Level 2 spells. 

Per the rule, the cleric can only know all those spells if it has the +3 modifier for having a 16 Wisdom. 

The Book stats the spells must be in the "level for which you have spell slots." However, the  "list of prepared spells"  from 1st or 2nd level can be "in any combination."

These rules seem contradictory. does the cleric have access to four L1 spells and two L2 spells or six L2 spells or three and three or two and four....

Clerics know all spells by default. I think you mean 'prepared'.

The number of spells on the list that they can cast is how many slots they can use per day.

I.e.

A first level cleric with Wis 16 can prepare 4 different spells but they can only cast the number on the chart.

So let's say I'm a first level cleric, wis 16. Start of day, I prepare the following:

Cure Wounds

Bless

Command

Divine Favor

Until our next long rest though, I can only cast two of those. The preparation just lets me have a variety of stuff available since I don't know what will happen over the course of the day.

Now if I was level 3 with Wis 16, I could prepare 6 of any level and combination. Let's say:

Cure Wounds

Bless

Command

Aid

Silence

Spirtual Weapon

This does not affect how many I can CAST, simply what spells are available to cast. I could end up just casting Cure Wounds with every single slot, if I wanted.

Think of it this way (largest group to smallest group):

- Spells known (what spells you ultimately know and the total list of available spells for preparation)

- Spells prepared (what spells you know on THAT DAY and can choose from when casting. Subset of spells known.)

- Spells cast (What spells you chose from your prepared list to cast on any given day. Subset of spells prepared)

Am I helping here?

• Like 1