Xbox One on sale

Dark Trainer

I missed this blatant employer plug.  Boo for marketing!  (You are still working over there, yes?)

Personally, I am rockin' the Atari 2600 and a Retron2 (NES/Super NES emulator) at home.

You can index it different ways but Nintendo products are the best of the big three if you look at the history. Their licenses are the most enduring and most recognizable. They have, by far the most games that retain value after their production cycle. Most video games have a big cross promotional push right at launch, sell a lot of units for two or three months and are promptly forgotten about as soon as the next big release is announced.

Play whatever you like of course but if you like the idea of your personal possessions being worth money when you decide to sell them you should buy Nintendo stuff. 

(I don't work for them or receive any compensation for saying so)

• Like 2

Just details about Retron since people have commented on it.  Skip if you are not interested.

Since people have commented on it, the Retron series is a group of console emulators produced by a company named Hyperkin (Hyperkin.com).  They are fully licensed and are building new hardware (not refurbished or modded) using specs from the companies they've bought license from (mostly Nintendo).  Pink Gorilla (www.pinkgorillagames.com) in Seattle carries some of their consoles.

Retron1 - NES only

Retron2 - NES and Super NES (and Famicom, Super Famicom)

Retron3 - NES/SNES/Famicom/Super Famicom/Genesis

Retron5 - NES/SNES/Famicom, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advanced

I run Zelda, Zelda II, Super Mario Brothers, MegaMan X, Ghosts and Goblins and Chronotrigger on mine.

I agree wholeheartedly with BB, above, and will mention that I only posted my "Boo for marketing" post to yank Swan's chain.  He works for Nintendo here in Seattle and so I was just tweaking him.  I never owned a SNES (it was released while I was in college) but I did pick up a Gamecube and a Wii.  I have been less impressed with the more recent titles though.  I'm not interested in FPS games (not a fan of the interface in general or the kinds of gameplay that it facilitates in comparison to something like Pikmin or Civilization) so I generally don't get into consoles, especially not the modern ones.  As a result, you can see my posts focused on computer gaming and a handful of console titles and for the most part I just /popcorn the rest of the console posts here.

I'm not arguing with you Brick.  I think you are correct to a point.  I think that the history of Nintendo and the innovation ( I still love R.O.B.) behind Nintendo's success ( Some people could chime in about Sega at this point ) in the early days of video games is where that value is.  I STILL much prefer my SNES over any newer console.  I never really enjoyed the Playstation ( IMO only a handful of titles were worth playing, Castlevania SotN, Valkrey Profile and FF Tactics come quickly to mind, I know others will disagree and I accept that).  I feel that after SNES console games, because of Nintendos fiscal success, starting to get corralled into genres and innovation started dying, this is why I feel that Nintendo games hold their value.

This is where I will bow to the experience of a retailer :), but I don't believe that a Wii game has as much value as a SNES game.  But if you compare games more temporally, such as a Wii game vs a Xbox game, I think the Wii game will have more value.  Also, in a marketing bid Xbox started their platinum hits line, which flooded the market with the marquee titles.  But the SNES has some rare titles, like a personal favorite Ogre Battle ( you can get my copy from my cold dead hands :D ).

TL/DR: innovation = value in video games, there was more innovation early in the industry when Nintendo was the big dog  

Wii actually demonstrates the pattern pretty well. It's a next-to-newest system which is consistently the low point of value for every make. Nintendo did drop the ball on quality control here in my view. There are a slew of games that seem clearly released with virtually no oversight. Even with all that you still see legacy titles gaining value which is virtually non existent with 360 and very limited on ps3.

You are correct to say that SNES games are worth far more. The high end is around a thousand. The most expensive Wii game I know of is only about a hundred. But that's to be expected across the spectrum: disc versus cartridge. 

Sega is beloved by it's fanbase but only the Saturn is seeing the sort of dramatic appreciation that classic Nintendo titles are experiencing... for a majority of titles anyway. 

As for the Retron 5... I'll add that there is a hdmi upscaler, built in troubleshooter and it's mostly region-free with limited japanese translation. And I know a Portland area store that keeps them all in stock:)

You can index it different ways but Nintendo products are the best of the big three if you look at the history. Their licenses are the most enduring and most recognizable. They have, by far the most games that retain value after their production cycle. Most video games have a big cross promotional push right at launch, sell a lot of units for two or three months and are promptly forgotten about as soon as the next big release is announced.

Play whatever you like of course but if you like the idea of your personal possessions being worth money when you decide to sell them you should buy Nintendo stuff. 

(I don't work for them or receive any compensation for saying so)

You may enjoy this article Brick:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/02/28/the-world-is-nintendos-if-only-theyd-take-it/

• Like 1