Armada Out Next Week!

So it is official, Armada is out next week and the rules are live on their product page!

So screw Worlds being blown up in fantasy settings. Too damned depressing so let's blow up star ships instead! Seriously, if I am reading the rulebook right it looks solid and more complex than X-Wing in a non-Epic game while being very clear.

More to come.

• Like 2

Also the size of a fleet is not that bad, 3-4 capitals, and squadrons are easy to move around. On a 3x6 table there should be plenty of 'space'. (Ok you can hate me for that. :wink:)

The issues with the game I believe will be in the Command areas as players have to figure out this new mechanic. I like this mechanic as it adds lots of depth but the rules are still being hashed out on the FFG Forum as to how they work.

I will have the core set soon and have the whole wave 1 on preorder so when it comes in I will hopefully be doing demos soon.

• Like 1

I'm going to be picking up the Core Set for sure when it comes in and have designs on picking up the rest of the Imperial stuff if I like it. FFG has all of the rules up on their site now and things seem pretty clear from reading through it so I'm hopeful. I like that the rule for ship collisions just causes each ship to take 1 damage card. I look forward to sacrificing a ship for a game-winning kill someday.

• Like 1

I'm going to be picking up the Core Set for sure when it comes in and have designs on picking up the rest of the Imperial stuff if I like it. FFG has all of the rules up on their site now and things seem pretty clear from reading through it so I'm hopeful. I like that the rule for ship collisions just causes each ship to take 1 damage card. I look forward to sacrificing a ship for a game-winning kill someday.

My CR90 missile is better than your Glatiator one. (Well more cost effective at least.)

This tactic was used in the Clone Wars and is valid when a crippled ship has no other route. "To the escape pods!"

the coolest part is that they can make a super star destroyer for this as the Corellian Corvette for X-Wing is probably around the right scale :)

We have had the discussion on the FFG forums and the issue is that if the SSD would were to scale it would be over 2 meters in game. It would need to be down scaled over 70% to be the size of the CR90 in X-Wing.

The thing is HUGE!

• Like 2

Actually I'm pretty sure Tarkin was a Moff, not a Captain, when he submitted his Doctrine...

He was just a Captain at the time. In fact he was still a Captian when he meet Anakin for the first time when Tarkin was freed from the Citedal on the planet Lola Sayu. That was a few years after Tarkin wrote his paper and he was already in the good favor of Palpatine.

You also have to remember that different sources has Tarkin in different positions at the time of writing the Doctrine. Some have him a Governor, some a Captain, but only the Movies, The Clone Wars and the Rebels are now Canon this puts Tarkin as a Captain instead of a Mof.

Depending on where you get your source from you're right, form a certain point of view.

Wait, so I decided to look up Tarkin's history for a more complete picture and it turns out he was a Lt. Governor in the Outer Rim before returning to the military where he became a Captain in the grand army. That is when he plagiarized and wrote the Tarkin Doctrine. So he was both a Captain and Moff at the time.

Learn something new everyday.

I was going off Wookiepedia, which uses "Legends" canon in addition to "official" canon for its articles I'm pretty sure, but it looks like he had already been promoted to Admiral in 19 BBY when he was on Clone Wars and that was the same year that he was made a Moff per the novelization of Revenge of the Sith. Doing some digging it looks like Moffs traditionally held the military rank of High Admiral, so it's likely that was Tarkin's official rank in the Imperial Navy at the time. I don't believe High Admirals hold any current canon sway, but we at least have Clone Wars proof showing him as an Admiral before the Tarkin Doctrine was issued.

I was going off Wookiepedia, which uses "Legends" canon in addition to "official" canon for its articles I'm pretty sure, but it looks like he had already been promoted to Admiral in 19 BBY when he was on Clone Wars and that was the same year that he was made a Moff per the novelization of Revenge of the Sith. Doing some digging it looks like Moffs traditionally held the military rank of High Admiral, so it's likely that was Tarkin's official rank in the Imperial Navy at the time. I don't believe High Admirals hold any current canon sway, but we at least have Clone Wars proof showing him as an Admiral before the Tarkin Doctrine was issued.

Yea, like I said some sources don't seem to follow the current canon and that is to be expected with years and years of books and comics and George did let things slide for sometime.

But best I can figure is the he was a Lt. Governor before rejoining the military which I believe bestows him a title of Moff according to Sith tradition. Once he was in the military again became a Captain. This was around 24 bby if I am correct, then he sent a rough draft of the Tarkin Doctrine, which he plagiarized but didn't send the final draft of it till 18 bby which is about the time he is introduced in the Clone Wars. The second time we see him in the Clone Wars he was made an Admiral. This must have been right after he finish his paper.

The interesting part of the History of the Tarkin Doctrine is that it was the paper that Palpatine used to come up with the idea of the Death Star but the plans were already under way in Episode II, so Palpatine must have started the DS with only reading the first submission of the Doctrine in 24 bby.

The issue of having multiple authors for one character.

Yeah, getting accurate details with all of the different sources can be pretty rough these days. In other news, I got my Armada set last night and damn is that VSD big! I was expecting it to be about 3/4 of the size it is from seeing comparisons to the cards in pictures, but I didn't realize that the capital ship cards are supersized too! Man, when the ISD comes out that thing is going to be massive... I can't wait!

Psst...spoiler alert...Tarkin dies!

Ah man, I bet he goes out in an epic battle where he's standing shooting with blasters in each hand with rebel bodies all around him and it takes three Jedi's to take him down. Going out like a Bad Ass. :angry:

No way he goes out like a bitch standing there in denial with his hand just sitting on his chin.

• Like 1