June 6 - The Annihilation 2: The Annihilationing

AgentP

Mark your calendars, Ordo Fanaticus will be hosting The Annihilation 2: The Annihilationing, a three-round 1850pt 40k tournament on Saturday, June 6, 2015, and WOW 707 S.E. Main St., Portland, OR.  This is a limited 14 16 spot tournament, so sign up quick.

Schedule:
WOW opens: 9:00 am
Round one: 10-1:00
Round two: 1:15-4:15
Round three: 4:30-7:30
Prizes and out by 8:00.

Reminder, this is a potluck, everyone MUST bring food. There is no time to go get lunch or dinner, so it is critical everyone brings food.

Army Composition

1850 pts, all current books and legal armies allowed.  Max of 3 detachments.  Forge world is allowed.  No ranged D weapons.  Modified ranged D as per ITC rules.  Come the apocalypse is allowed, if it is themed and makes sense (sole discretion of TO).  Fortifications are allowed.  

Scenarios and Rules

Deck Building

Each player must bring a deck of 28 tactical objective cards.  Since the basic deck contains 36 cards, this will mean players will customize the deck they bring.  Decks must be built from the same source, ie you can use the main deck, or a race specific deck, but you cannot mix or combine.

Card Draw

When you draw a card, if it is impossible to achieve because of your opponent’s army, you may immediately discard it and draw another.  (This does not apply if it is impossible to achieve because of your own army choices.  You had the chance to fix that in customizing your deck.)

Cards that award d3 victory points award 2.  If a card were to award more than 4+ points, it awards 3.

Twist of Fate Tokens

In each game, a player gets two Twist of Fate Tokens.  These can be spent to re-roll a single dice.  So you could re-roll a scatter dice, an armor save, warlord trait, a to hit roll, a reserves roll, one psychic dice, etc.   You may only re-roll a single dice.  

You may spend a single token to discard a single maelstrom card and immediately draw a new card. 

You may spend both tokens to discard and redraw your entire hand.

Tokens may be spent at any time, in either your turn or your opponent’s.

Maelstrom Victory Points

You score tactical objective points as normal, ie at the end of each player turn.  At the end of each GAME TURN you total who got the most points for that turn.  You only count points achieved that game turn, you do not carry over from previous game turns.   (So unlike typical Maelstrom games, you don’t keep a running tally for the entire game).  Whoever achieved the most victory points “won” that turn.  In the case of a tie, both players are credited with a “win” for the game turn.

The first player to “win” four game turns wins the primary objective.  The game ends when a player wins four turns, whether that is at the end of turn 4, or turn 7 (the maximum the game could go).  Think of it like a tennis match, and each game turn is a set, and when you win enough sets you win the match.  

Winning the primary objective is worth 5 battle points.  In addition, you get one battle point for each of the following:

·      Slay the Warlord (per rulebook)

·      Linebreaker (per rulebook)

·      First Blood (per rulebook)

·      Twist of Fate:  Each Twist of Fate token you use awards your opponent a single battle point (max 2).

For a maximum possible 10 battle points each round.

Round Length

Because these games are played like tennis, needing four of a potential seven rounds to determine a winner, it is essential that players play quickly and afford themselves enough time to play seven rounds if need be.  To help, each round will be 3 hours.  Players are encouraged to keep an eye on the clock and try to complete each player turn in 10 minutes.  Player turns should not go beyond 15 minutes.

If time is called at the 3-hour mark, and the players have not completed the game, it will be up to the sole discretion of the judge to either call the game for one person or the other, or to declare no winner.  This ruling will may be arbitrary and subjective, and is not appealable.  Players who do not want their games determined by arbitrary ruling should play quickly and efficiently.

ROUND ONE

Maelstrom Mission: Cleanse and Control

Dawn of War Deployment

Roll for Night Fighting

No mysterious objectives

ROUND TWO

Maelstrom of War: Spoils of War

Hammer and Anvil Deployment

Roll for Night Fighting

No mysterious objectives

ROUND THREE

Maelstrom Mission: Cloak and Shadows

Vanguard Deployment

Roll for Night Fighting

No mysterious objectives

The ITC/BAO/LVO Rules FAQ will be in use.

Painting

3 color minimum and basing required.  This can be fudged a bit if people are still working on their OFCC armies and want to play them.  

Sportsmanship

This is an Ordo event.  This is a fun, simple, no-stress event designed around Maelstrom missions.  Leave your competitive side at home for a day and approach this as having fun for a few hours.  

Food

Everyone attending is expected to bring food to share.  Chips, soda, pizza, homemade foods, whatever.  Think of this as a gaming potluck. 

Cost

The cost to play in this tournament will be $20.00.  All funds go to support Ordo.

Prizes

YES!  There will be prize support.

List of Players

1.  Galahad911

2.  Burk

3.  Big Tal SPOT OPEN

4.  Mr. Bigglesworth

5.  Pretre

6.  Malindle

7.  Mooney

8.  Pax

9.  MikhailLenin SPOT OPEN

10. Captain A

11. Raze

12. Sorienor

13. Warlord Ghrom

14. Bryan

15. NathanVoodoo

16. AgentP

Waitlist

• Like 1

Very interested, but I did bail last minute last time, so grain of salt....

Beyond that, can you please link rules/FAQs referenced, but not shown above? Always good to be certain that you are thinking of the same rules that I find with a google search.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I like this:

You score tactical objective points as normal, ie at the end of each player turn. At the end of each GAME TURN you total who got the most points for that turn. You only count points achieved that game turn, you do not carry over from previous game turns. (So unlike typical Maelstrom games, you don’t keep a running tally for the entire game). Whoever achieved the most victory points “won” that turn. In the case of a tie, both players are credited with a “win” for the game turn.

I think I will be in for this one

Well, swooping FMC and Mucolids can't score, and this is an objective based maelstrom event, so bring at your own risk

Hmmm, tough crowd.

Not that I was even approaching serious, but assuming that all 7 of them have to swoop the entire game? Yeah....

Besides, a list like that intends on removing it's opponent's ability to score points more than score them itself. Combined with you having people make their own decks, I'd have 18 cards not calling for numbered objectives, and stack the ones I have to be, for instance, 4 cards for Obj1, 4 for Obj2, and 2 for Obj3, knowing what numbers I have, try to place those myself in far flung corners. I mean, thinking it wouldn't work in this instance. Well, I'm more than sure I could do it.

Again, not even approaching serious.

lol?

Honestly, while I agree that such a list is not typically Ordo material, being very WAAC, there is a value to having such lists.  I'm trying to use these smaller format events to flesh out a Maelstrom tournament format that works.  And to be effective, it will have to be something that resists breaking.  Tournaments always bring out lists that try to exploit the rules, so seeing tough lists is valuable in making tweaks to the format to minimize exploit.

Anyway, hope you will come play in the event, whatever list you choose to bring.

• Like 1

Don't be reasonable!

Yes. Come to the event. Khorne needs more skulls. Speaking of which.......

EBEN!!! YOUR WEAKLING CORPSE GOD HAS MADE YOU OVERCONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITIES! YOUR BOLTER B1TCHES WILL FALL LIKE WHEAT BEFORE KHORNE'S CHAINBLADED SCYTHE/AXE/THING!!! I CHALLENGE YOU TO THE FIRST ROUND OF THE ANNIHILATIONING!!! YOU WILL TRULY KNOW DESPAIR WHEN YOU FACE THE DAEMONKIN OF KHOOOOOOOOOOOORNE!!!!

• Like 1