Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

Random thought: Is Life is basically about killing time until you die?

I mean, even if you subscribe to a religous idea of the afterlife, you are still, basically, just waiting for that to happen. And if you aren't religious, your still counting the seconds until death, even if you have no great plans about what you'll do once you die...

Random thought: Is Life is basically about killing time until you die?

I mean, even if you subscribe to a religous idea of the afterlife, you are still, basically, just waiting for that to happen. And if you aren't religious, your still counting the seconds until death, even if you have no great plans about what you'll do once you die...

If that is how you choose to live your life, killing time rather than experiencing existence, yes.

Fair question.

Many answers. I'm bored and I have netflix is probably towards the top. I also tend to enjoy animated films, fantasy/sci-fi settings, and find disney to usually make good films even if I'm not in the target audience. I'm sorta killing time, too, so doing things that occupy time and keep my mind from wandering. 

And I didn't hate it. Definitely tolerable. 

I love that you agree with my rating. Nice to be on the same page. Seems like we often disagree, so good to know disagreement isn't an absolute between us. 

• Like 1

If that is how you choose to live your life, killing time rather than experiencing existence, yes.

Was wondering if people would mix those two, since I used the same term twice in different threads. Totally talking about different concepts in each thread, even if using the same term. The one in the movie thread is more imediate, while the above is more long term, which does change the concept purely due to scale of execution. 

As to the above random thought, I would include experiencing existence or living life to the fullest, to still qualify as killing time. Pretty much the only thing you could do, that I wouldn't consider to be killing time, at least in the scale of birth to death, would be death itself, either by suicide or other means. And I don't advocate suicide or death.

Just a random thought, that if the clock starts when you are born and ends when you die, then everything in the middle is basically you killing time. 

Is acting with a purpose killing time?  The whole point of religion (just about any of them) is the idea that acting with purpose is not the same as killing time and that it matters what that purpose is.

There are currently 7.5 billion other people sharing earth with you who are also just killing time.  You probably interact with some of them every day and you have the option to make their time here on earth better or worse.  Without being religious I still kinda believe in the "do unto others..." mantra and I certainly find my sentence here on earth a little more enjoyable when others are trying to make the process of killing time more pleasant.

Is acting with a purpose killing time?  The whole point of religion (just about any of them) is the idea that acting with purpose is not the same as killing time and that it matters what that purpose is.

Depends. Is that purpose something you came to the understanding of while killing time, or is it something innate? Were you born with purpose, like destiny? Or were you born with lots of time to kill, and through the coarse of killing time between birth and death, you self imposed a sense of purpose to make the vast unknown quanity of time more enjoyable/meaningful?

What is killing time, if not creating a sense of purpose to occupy a space of time, so that expanse of reality is more meaningful? Since time flies when you are having fun (or otherwise acting with a sense of purpose).

I don't mean to trivalize life by suggesting you're are killing time. But self-creating a sense of meaning of life to make it all seem to function with greater purpose is very human, and is basically the same concept as killing time, just applied to a larger scale. People come to all sorts of conclusions on how to spend their life, but these conclusions are usually made after they are born, and during the vast uncertainty of life, they self-create a sense of purpose, so they can life with a sense of purpose. And by self-create, I don't mean they can't adhere to existing religions and ideology, but ultimately, they must choose for themselves, what sense of purpose they will establish for themselves, or rather, how best to kill the time of their lifespan.

Anyway, again, just a random thought. Love this thread topic, wish we had thought of it sooner. 

There are currently 7.5 billion other people sharing earth with you who are also just killing time.  You probably interact with some of them every day and you have the option to make their time here on earth better or worse.  Without being religious I still kinda believe in the "do unto others..." mantra and I certainly find my sentence here on earth a little more enjoyable when others are trying to make the process of killing time more pleasant.

Golden rule, yeah, I subscribe to that one too. I also like the "Make the world better than you found it" one. Several others, too. Plus religon.

I don't see killing time as something that excuses you from being a good person, but I've certainly met others that would disagree. I have met some people that would only consider the feelings of others if consequences were imposed on them for their actions, while others would be considering of those feelings without any requirement at all. And I've definitely met those that simply aren't capable of treating others as equals. 

I, myself, tend to treat objects as equals, and by extension, tend to treat people as objects (which is to say, I tend to treat people as equals to myself and to objects). I know, a funny way of looking at reality, but I merely make observation of how I see things, not suggesting this is the normal way or even a good way, just that it seems to be my way. 

Anyway, again, just a random thought. Love this thread topic, wish we had thought of it sooner. 

Too tired for the rest, at the moment, but to this I I say I fully support discussion on peoples random thoughts.  Often times, we're just posting amusing "one liners" as it were, and that is fine and well.  

To me, as the OP, in my ideology I feel that the Random Photo Thread is mostly a time killer, while the goal of this thread was for the edification of the community.  Then WildWestRider gone done failed us.

Depends. Is that purpose something you came to the understanding of while killing time, or is it something innate? Were you born with purpose, like destiny? Or were you born with lots of time to kill, and through the coarse of killing time between birth and death, you self imposed a sense of purpose to make the vast unknown quanity of time more enjoyable/meaningful?

Not to trivialize this question, but who cares?  In the end I decide whether or not I am happy or miserable while killing time.  If I find happiness through religion or through specific actions or through anything in particular then does it matter what the source of that happiness is?  Whether you believe that there is something beyond this life or not, you are here and you might as well find something that makes it bearable or even enjoyable for you.

There was more to this post but it probably belongs in RoC as the conversation quickly turns in that direction...

Not to trivialize this question, but who cares?

That's why I posted in "random thought" thread: It really doesn't matter. The question is trivial, as it's more a thought aloud, than a real question anyway. Was just something that came up in conversation earlier yesterday. Wanted to post it somewhere before I forgot. Definitely a random thought. 

That's why I posted in "random thought" thread: It really doesn't matter. The question is trivial, as it's more a thought aloud, than a real question anyway. Was just something that came up in conversation earlier yesterday. Wanted to post it somewhere before I forgot. Definitely a random thought. 

You misunderstand the sentiment of the response.  The point is that there is no valid or invalid answer to your question.  The answer is that it simply doesn't matter where purpose or enjoyment come from.  Most people are not self-aware enough to define why they do something and they certainly don't stand a ghost of a chance defining why someone else does something...  Predicting perhaps, but determining root motivation?  And that's a good thing.  No matter where that motivation comes from, it is enough that it provides a purpose.

• Like 2

I just looked it up, and after Prince became a Jehovah's Witness, he did in fact go evangelizing door-to-door. Imagine answering the door and there's Prince standing on your porch with a copy of The Watchtower.

Or the artist formerly known as Prince.