Conquest

I played my first game of Conquest Wednesday afternoon.  My opponent played Space Marines with Ragnar leading the charge.  I played AstraMil with Coteaz seeking to expose the taint of chaos in the midst of Russ' Children.  

Early on, Ragnar's treachery was exposed, much to the dismay of all involved, as he attacked a garrisoned unit of Guardsman.  With the aid of a patrolling Valkyrie providing distracting cover fire, the Guardsman sent Ragnar off in a bloody retreat, tail between his legs.  He lost many troops to cover his worthless escape, too, but not without cost.  Coteaz was severally wounded, but still able to fight.  The real loss was in the Unit of Guardsman who gave their lives after Bloodying the Traitorous Dog, torn apart by blood-raged rabid Bloodclaws as their master fled.  

The battles across the sector stayed pretty even, with neither side quite gaining a lead as the dog cowered in the shadows seeking a powerful artifact and Coteaz was treated of his wounds.  Until everything drew to a head at the 6th planet.  

Coteaz arrived to the 6th planet finding Ragnar had baited him into a trap.  Bloodclaws sprang from their dens.  Dead Imperials were tossed from the Sentry Towers, bolter fire exposed in their carapace armor revealing more Space Marine treachery.  The Titans clash.  Coteaz's forces drop to a superior force.  Then divinity shows its head.  Knowing what greater power is served, the final unit of guardsman and a Rogue Trader that had given aid, sacrificed themselves to do to Ragnar what should have by all accounts taken the wicked warlord out.  It was then that the true power of Ragnar's sword was exposed.  Feeding off the Hate of Ragnar towards Coteaz, it fortified him in addition to increasing his strength.  

Realizing this, Coteaz stood up, laughing, although nearly bloodied.  Pointing his Holy Demon Hammer at Ragnar, he says "You rabid mutt, you are already dead and you don't even know it."  He triggers his emergency transporter.  Ragnar, stammering about his victory realizes too late that the sword was sustaining him despite his wounds.  As Coteaz faded, so did Ragnar, traitor to the Wolves.

It was such a fun game, and so close, too.  I seriously thought he had the game.  I was setup to take out his Warlord but misplayed a Shield and thought he was going to take me out.  It was at the point where the winner of the planet won the game.  He needed Red, I needed Green.  Ragnar was Bloodied with 5 Damage, and Coteaz had 4 Health on his Hale side.  Ragnar's sword gives him +2 HP, so he had 7 health instead of 5.  Coteaz can't do damage unless he has his Eagle (who died saving him) or a unit to sacrifice to boost him.  I had neither.  So I could stay put and Coteaz would be bloodied and forced to retreat, or I could retreat unbloodied and Ragnar would claim Victory for having 3 of a kind.  Either way, he wins.  Then I hear an "Oh sh!t!" from the other player.  "Ragnar only gets the +2 HP when your warlord is at the same planet.  As soon as Coteaz retreats, Ragnar dies."  I have Coteaz retreat, unbloodied, and Ragnar's sword kicked off, going from 5/7 damage taken to 5/5 damage taken, giving me a Slay the Warlord victory.  Such a close game, I knew I was cutting it close with that shield, but I knew I had Ragnar.  I didn't realize that a card he had played was immune to shield reduction, so it cost me my ability to buff Coteaz and hit Ragnar for 3.  I thought ignorance lost me the game.

I haven't played Invasion.  Someone else on the board in another thread had said something about it being similar to the previous 40k Card game.  The same art work, too.  Young Jedi is probably the game I'd most compare it to, or a cross between Battletech TCG and Star Wars CCG.  

The game was really enjoyable.  I should be getting regular games in on Wednesdays and I'm excited.  I've always enjoyed card games, but Magic lost my interest.  I would rather put money into 40k than MTG if I'm going to have an expensive hobby.  That's another point in  Conquests favor.  For $50 you get a deck for everyone, but Necron and Tyranid.  They haven't been released yet.  The starter decks are only half the size of an Organized Play deck.  That is, the starter decks come with approx 30 cards, and Organized Play has a 50 card Minimum.  I do plan on purchasing a second Core box in the next few months to get duplicates.  The game allows up to 3 copies of non-signature cards, but the Core only comes with 1 copy each of most of the cards in it.  All the expansions to date have had 3 copies of each it contains allowing you to only need to purchase the expansion once to have a full play set.  If i get to the point of regular fierce competition, I'll pick up a third core, but for casual play, 2 should be plenty.  Ally rules allow you to combine aspects of two Factions, which would allow you to make Organized Play decks from one starter alone.

I own this game but still have not played it yet, hard to get a 2P game to the table it seems.

I agree, completely.  Thankfully, there is a small group forming locally for me that plays on Wednesdays.  I'll be going down tomorrow.  Plan is to get at least two games in.  I tweaked my deck, removed a bunch of IG stuff and added some beefy Space Marine treats.  I'll be tweaking the deck again on Friday, as I ordered a second Core set tonight at nearly 50% off (along with a second Armada core).  

I agree, completely.  Thankfully, there is a small group forming locally for me that plays on Wednesdays.  I'll be going down tomorrow.  Plan is to get at least two games in.  I tweaked my deck, removed a bunch of IG stuff and added some beefy Space Marine treats.  I'll be tweaking the deck again on Friday, as I ordered a second Core set tonight at nearly 50% off (along with a second Armada core).  

Cool, where do you guys play?

I originally picked this up thinking my son and I would play. But he would rather play Munchkin Adventure Time.

I'm down in Rogue Valley, so we're playing at Astral Games, the only game store in the region.  Well, K-Falls has it's sister store, and is over an hour away.  Grants Pass may have a store still, I'm not sure.  There isn't very many reasons why I would drive to Grants Pass.

If you find yourself heading this way, hit me up and we can arrange for some gaming.  If I manage to make it up to OFCC this year, I am definitely bringing it.  

I didn't make it down to the store yesterday.  Decided sleeping was a much more needed option, as I work graves.  

I'm down in Rogue Valley, so we're playing at Astral Games, the only game store in the region.  Well, K-Falls has it's sister store, and is over an hour away.  Grants Pass may have a store still, I'm not sure.  There isn't very many reasons why I would drive to Grants Pass.

If you find yourself heading this way, hit me up and we can arrange for some gaming.  If I manage to make it up to OFCC this year, I am definitely bringing it.  

I didn't make it down to the store yesterday.  Decided sleeping was a much more needed option, as I work graves.  

Unfortunately I am up in Portland and I wont be at OFCC this year, maybe next year.