Pro tips?

what are some things you have learned about miniature painting that you wish you had known when you started?

Minitures are rarely painted in the sense that paintings are painted. Most modern models can be painted in a very similar capacity as coloring books. You just fill in each area as it makes sense, then apply washes/highlights as they makes sense. You are not creating the model, merely coloring it in. I find that "painting" the models has a psychological effect of seeming like it would be harder or more daunting than it is, while coloring them in is very easy, so easy a kid could do it.

The mental capacity required for model painting is low, especially for most 40k models. A clever painter can still produce an amazing model, but the learning curve to get a presentable army is actually pretty low.

Just prime them and color in. I wish I had understood this when I started. Models are deceptively simple to paint.

Assembly line. Paint a whole Squad at a time. Do one colour on all of them, then go back and do the next on all of them.

Start by just getting yourself a playable Army to three colours plus basing. Then go back and pick out more details. If you've got something you can actually use, I find that increases the motivation to get better than if you're just struggling over trying to get those first couple of Models perfect, and have a huge pile still grey that you'll need to get through before you can get them on the table.

Plan your colour scheme from the Primer out. Depending on what colours you're using, black, white, or even a coloured primer may work best.

Make use of GW's Base Paint Line*, particularly for any reds, yellows, or golds you're using. They've really got those dialed in, and the coverage is so much better than in the past, or using their regular paints.

*If someone knows other paint lines that have similar base paints, feel free to chime in. GW's are the only ones I have experience with.

• Like 3

Test models! Here's where old metal models really shine (pun intended)

Have a crazy idea? Try it out. Take the parts you liked and ditch the things that you don't. Drop those bad boys in Simple Green and try again. Repeat the process until you find a system that works for you. It's frustrating to get 20 models done and realize you should have done something different, hate an accent color, have too many steps etc...

A huge influence on final quality I've found is that like auto-body, prep work before you start painting will limit your finished product potential.  Remove mold lines, smooth joints, learn to putty/green-stuff etc. before you think about primer.  Old metal pieces are harder to clean mold lines on (but it can be done), and in the end having a well assembled miniature with a decent paint job will look better (IMO) than something haphazardly slapped together with no attention to detail and then well painted.

Other than that, the old broken record of "Thin your paints".  I find a DIY wet pallet goes a long way towards helping this.

I always go for a decent paint job that wont take forever to paint. If you look up Warhammer TV on youtube, there are a bunch of great free videos that GW has put up there. For example I painted my entire Imperial Knight by watching and following their step by step videos. Here are a few tips:

1-Prime- if it is a vehicle make sure to use a spray primer, if it is a infantry model painting on primer is just fine.

2-Base Coat- block out all colors, start from the inside out of the model or pick the color that will be used the most first, don't worry about making mistakes at this point.

3-Touch Up- Go back with every color you have used and touch up the entire model, starting with the main color.

4-Wash/Shade- this is where the magic happens, make sure to wash all at once don't take a break until the model is completely washed. I just pick one wash and do the entire model. I like to use either Seraphim Sepia or Agrax Earthshade primarily.

5-Dry Brush- you can come back with some quick dry brush highlights, for the most part I just do the metallic colors.

6-Seal model- spray dull coat seal works best