what is the craziest odd thing you've seen?(good or bad)

was just thinking about this, ive done quite a few(generally in the bad department, but a few in the good).

the good:

-killed hellbron and about 12 black guard needing a 10 on the artillery dice to cover them with a single flame cannon shot(sorry MN)

-rolled 20 on both of my organ guns and deleted a unit of warriors in one round.

-cannon killing 2 beasts and big bird in one shot

-deleted 5 demi's outright with longbeards, overran and killed life bunker too(that was probably bad play though...)

-basically any game against muskrat/talapas(the last one in particular...)

-ive irresistable dispelled on 2 dice before in timely fashion(generally against the before mentioned).

the bad:

-cascaded 3 out of 5 games, all on 2-3 dice at BSB....

-ive blown up 3 of 4 war machines in a game before(im still waiting on the time when i blow up them all, i know i have it in me!!!)

-a game against evan,  just needing a few 2s with about 6-7 hits.  nope lol

-can not count the amount of times ive failed ld10 rerolls(so i get tired of hearing people whine about failing ld8...).

-daemon prince FAIL WHALE shenanigans: roll 1,2,3,4,5 for slaanesh spells(no choir) and then lose acquiescence on a 2 dice miscast first turn playing against an end times character... 2 games later low dice miscast first turn again and take off charmed shield, fails charm shield, takes a wound to then promptly go down to a bolt thrower.  oh daemon prince, so silly!

-blown up forging cannons/FCs quite more often than the 1/100 chance predicts...

the ugly:

-raindog NEARLY pulled this off against me, but couldnt blow it up! ive blown up a forging organ gun TWICE(yet ive never blown it up without it?).  the odds of it happening once: 1/3888 :cool: im pretty pround of that....

you guys have some hilarious odds good/bad?  im curious to hear other stories!

• Like 1

OK, here's the craziest thing I have had happen to me in a game....yes, worse than your flame cannon shot. It was in 7th end though.

I charged a spear chucka with Karl Franz on death claw. I fluffed all attacks, lost combat, and was deleted from existence. Think about it. A goblin spear chucka killed Karl Franz on deathclaw.

• Like 3

Well, the craziest thing I think I've seen in 8th so far was against a local up here in Seattle who plays Skaven named Jesse.  Jesse and I were playing in a 2999 event and I was using my dwarfs.  Things were pretty bloody for the both of us and finally culminated in a turn five IF Dreaded 13th.  He directed it against my Longbeards with a Lord, BSB, and Rune Priest who had been depleted down to 17 models.  He rolls it up:  exactly 17 dead and boom, a devastating swing in Skaven favor...until the bottom of five.  I head into the shooting phase with the only thing in range of the two Organ Guns (my only remaining guns) being his depleted Stormvermin with the Seer, BSB, and engineer.  There were seventeen wounds in all in the unit and I did exactly seventeen unsaved wounds.  VENGEANCE IS THE TRUE NAME FOR ORGAN GUNS.

While that was pretty crazy the single craziest thing I've ever seen in a game of WHFB was back in 6th ed.  It was a 3000 point game (pretty unheard of back then) with High Elves facing off against Lizardmen.  Turn one a stegadon that had moved fires a pop shot bolt thrower at a HE Prince on dragon.  Shot hits, allocates to the Prince, the ward save is failed, and the Prince dies.  For Monstrous Reaction the thing rolls up Panic which panics the unit next to it, which panics the unit next to it, which panics the unit next to it, and so on until the entire High Elf army (every last one) leaves the table turn one without firing a shot.  If I remember correctly that steg was converted to be covered in laurels and HE trophies after that.

• Like 1

The craziest win I had was also in 7th. I baited a khorne army around the table with war machine crew and units of spearmen while Karl Franz on death claw tabled his 2000 point army. Oh man, then days of unit strength 5 disrupting ranks. Those flank and rear charges were no joke from unit strength five stuff in 7th.

The Good:

HE vs DE: Eagle charged the flank of a 40 model repeater xbow unit (2 deep, 20 wide) with a L4 general, L2, and BSB. Eagle does a wound, one wound dealt back, eagle stomps for another. Eagle wins combat by 1 (flank and charge cancelled out by BSB and rank). DE player rolls 11 and reroll 12 for steadfast break check, Eagle catches them.

Best 50 points ever spent.

The Crazy:

HE vs VC: L4 beasts with old Talisman of Saphery, Folariath's Robe (7th ed army book). Charged him out of a bunker against L4 general on TG to protect the rest of the unit. Cast Transformation of Kadon, ASF Mountain Chimaera does 5 wounds, transforms back into mage before the vamp hits back, which it can't because FoRobe can only be hit by magical attacks and TaliSaph turns all magical attacks into mundane attacks. Win by 6. Lord on TG crumbled to death, which leads to the rest of the army crumbling.

• Like 2

It's not very dramatic game-wise, but it's statistically insane: my brother and I had a game recently where we rolled 5 turns in a row of snake eyes for winds of magic.  We were starting to seriously consider whether the house was haunted.  Odds of 5 snake eyes in a row is 1 in 60,466,176.

WOW... man you all have some really awesome stories hahaha.  ive only been playing for little over a year so i expected to hear some really bizarre ones from the vets.

haha nooo im no vet, still got lots to learn. for example, have never played against TK.  and you were the first DE player i faced(everyone seemed to play HE/WE in my old meta... so my strategies are generally leaning on towards dealing with elves lol). 

what probably is deceiving about it is i have a lot of old models from when i collected warhammer back in 5th ed(like all my copters) as a kid and i continued to collect those old metal guys when i started ACTUALLY playing in february last year.  and ive heard about 7th ed with cav being very strong from a few people.  i started basically right when the new dwarf book dropped which is probably a good thing seeing as my style AND not have to worry about confusing old rules O:) 

• Like 1

My ugliest moment of all time was definitely Seattle GT 2005 I think, I was in the final round, top table with my Bretonnians, against what at the time was considered a hard-as-nails Nurgle Daemon army.  He hadn't even come close to losing all day, while I was eeking out wins every round (well there was one landslide win) so we were both undefeated.

Bottom of turn 6, and I have spent the whole game maneuvering and sacrificing my fast cav, skirmishing archers, and men at arms in order to line up a game-winning charge against his massive points denial formation (Papa Nurgle and a huge host of Plaguebearers, flanked by the old 6th ed. monstrous nurgle guys, can't recall their names).  

On turn 6, I hit him in the face with a lance of 9 Grail Knights, a Lance of 12 Knights Errant with Errantry Banner, 4 Peg Knights in one flank, and my General on Hippogryph in the rear.  My brother was there watching and every time the dice came up all 1s and 2s he just kept shaking his head, I could see him working out the odds with me.  I ended up dealing ONE wound, with ALL that, and lost by a few, broke, and lost the game.  

I think I took 3rd or 4th at the GT and he took 1st, but I remember him saying as I declared all four charges, "Well we could roll it but you got this, good game."  Oops.

Epic Warhammer Fail.

• Like 1

My ugliest moment of all time was definitely Seattle GT 2005 I think, I was in the final round, top table with my Bretonnians, against what at the time was considered a hard-as-nails Nurgle Daemon army.  He hadn't even come close to losing all day, while I was eeking out wins every round (well there was one landslide win) so we were both undefeated.

Bottom of turn 6, and I have spent the whole game maneuvering and sacrificing my fast cav, skirmishing archers, and men at arms in order to line up a game-winning charge against his massive points denial formation (Papa Nurgle and a huge host of Plaguebearers, flanked by the old 6th ed. monstrous nurgle guys, can't recall their names).  

On turn 6, I hit him in the face with a lance of 9 Grail Knights, a Lance of 12 Knights Errant with Errantry Banner, 4 Peg Knights in one flank, and my General on Hippogryph in the rear.  My brother was there watching and every time the dice came up all 1s and 2s he just kept shaking his head, I could see him working out the odds with me.  I ended up dealing ONE wound, with ALL that, and lost by a few, broke, and lost the game.  

I took 3rd or 4th at the GT and he took 1st, but I remember him saying as I declared all four charges, "Well we could roll it but you got this, good game."  Oops.

Epic Warhammer Fail.

wow... just wow....... reminds me i forgot i havent faced brets yet either!  ive fluffed combats before but that takes the cake.  think the closest thing ive had to that was a month ago in seattle as well lol i totally forgot about this and now i wish i had.  same game that daemon prince died comically.  got flanked by some dark riders with some character in it(master?) with my 45 nurgle poison gor with festus.  whatever, so i reformed to face.  that following combat he had maybe 5 dark riders and the character left.  i had ~30 poison rerolls coming at him.  think i did 2 wounds?  maybe 3, but i think it was 2.  NOT A SINGLE POISON lol.

Ok, so here is my story. Way back in the way back when my brother and I used to play our games on the tile floor at my parents house. We had played about 3 turns and decided to stop for the night. At about midnight the phone rings( drunken hawaiian relatives forgetting about the time zones.) So I run out of our room to answer the phone forgetting about the battle set up on the floor. Let's just say I dropped a foot of Gork on a unit of the old second edition starter set goblin spearmen and turned myself into a fallen giant template on the rest of the battle. I actually had 7 goblin spear tips break off inside of my foot.

• Like 4

Craziest thing I've seen is against Raindog's Dwarfs. My Warp lightning cannon did a direct center hit on 20 Longbeards and his Runesmith at Strength 6. He LOS his Runesmith, and I didnt roll a single 1 on the wound rolls. His Runesmith was left there in utter shock, wondering where his whole unit just went.

Craziest thing I've seen is against Raindog's Dwarfs. My Warp lightning cannon did a direct center hit on 20 Longbeards and his Runesmith at Strength 6. He LOS his Runesmith, and I didnt roll a single 1 on the wound rolls. His Runesmith was left there in utter shock, wondering where his whole unit just went.

No 1s on 20 dice is ~0.026%... pretty damn slim ;)

Craziest thing I ever heard of was actually posted on Warseer. A guy was playing Lizardmen with Carnosaur, 2 Stegadons and a Bastiladon vs Empire with 4 cannons (two Great, two Steam Tank).

The Empire player gets turn and shoots off all four dinosaurs with 4 cannon shots. I worked out the odds on that one and posted it to the Warseer thread: I think it was less than 0.01% :-)

• Like 1

Craziest thing I ever heard of was actually posted on Warseer. A guy was playing Lizardmen with Carnosaur, 2 Stegadons and a Bastiladon vs Empire with 4 cannons (two Great, two Steam Tank).

The Empire player gets turn and shoots off all four dinosaurs with 4 cannon shots. I worked out the odds on that one and posted it to the Warseer thread: I think it was less than 0.01% :-)

That is definitely a harder one to mathematically determine. With bounce rolls and base size/angles to consider.

Well, assuming 10" from the back of the base - he had said all his bases were side on to minimize cannon hits, so I assumed 2" wide bases.

With that assumption it's a 2/3 chance to hit with a cannon.

Then roll to wound is 5/6. Then 1/6 chance to kill Stegs and 2/6 to kill the 5 wound monsters. So, 9.2 and 18.4% respectively. 0.029% chance. The odds of all cannons misfiring is 0.077% :-)

My list for masters had the War Banner in it. I brought the same list to VoD, and the War Banner made the difference on a number of occasions. I had it in my Stormvermin. What I had found with that unit is that when they fought unsupported, I was often just losing by one or two (or winning by one or two). Of course, it helps that Skaven only pay 25 points for it - not sure I'd do it at 35!