Armada Wave 1

I got a game in yesterday with some of the new Armada ships from the Wave 1 expansions.  It definitely added some nice depth and options to the game.  I really enjoyed having some additional fighter options.  A-Wings and B-Wings performed better than I had expected, while the TIE Advanced was a huge boon to the Imperials.

Also it looks like I will be running an Armada tournament at Dice Age on June 6th.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got in my first Wave I game last night, I was happy with the diversity the added ships/fighters brings.  I'm very hopeful for the options Wave II brings, giving the Imperials a bit more of a a reckless speed option like I tend to use the CR90 for (Speed 4 or BUST!!!).  

I was overall a bit underwhelmed by my rebel bombers' damage output on the imperial ships, but when you only manage to roll up a single shield worth of damage from 2x B's, 2x Y's, and Luke in a single turn, there is a very slight chance it might just be your dice...  They largely redeemed themselves later in the game by helping almost completely strip the shields from a VSD. over a single phase.  I had hoped the rebels had serious 'carrier-fleet' potential, but quickly realized that would mean exposing the enabling ships to some serious firepower, and I have durability concerns about the Assault Frigate weathering overlapping front arcs from VSDs.  

The more I play the game the more I feel it really is better suited to more casual gameplay, but would like to see what the competitive scene does over time.

just in case you didnt know(but you probably do), luke bypasses shields and its straight up damage to the ship.  im not a big fan of B wings either but some people are.  i honestly dont think we will see much of the 'space whale' when the next wave comes out. although as a rebel your primary objective is to NEVER have you ships see the front arc of a VSD.  mark 2s do have speed 3 so they can scoot a bit.  but gladiators i see giving them issues especially with insidious which i rudely found out last game lol.  really excited cause the next wave is going to give us some really cool diversity i think.  starting to love this game a lot...

• Like 1

I am really not yet impressed by bombers in general. Ive never got the chance to crit a ship with them. The big ships move away leaving your bombers to catch up, using their order to move. Of course there are squadron commands, but by the time the shields are down the big ships really have a hard time wasting a command on a squadron command as they need to engineer or navigate for positioning. I prefer tie swarms,as,chipping away at shields,or,just,putting a damage on seems good enough, especially when theyre so, so much better at winning the fighter war, which is huge.

• Like 1

I'm going to be playing in the Armada tournament at GenCon this year, so I'm trying to get a feel for the different play styles. Currently I realy like the AF MK II. The big broadsides really help you control how the engagement happens.

I'm still getting a feel for bombers. Getting the most out of them really involves coordinating their strike with the guns from your cap ships. So far, I've not been nearly patient enough with my squadrons.