Kingdom death monster amazing!

VonVilkee

So yeah, I backed this good knows when and it showed up Friday. I immediately forgot about dinner and opened it. I was then quickly reminded by the wife that we were both hungry, grabbing the rule book we were off to dinner. We both looked through the book and were impressed by the writing and art work. After dinner I spent the evening building the introduction sprue. Yes that's right a sprue ladled as build all this first! It was 4 survivors, a white lion, and the butcher.

With this built it was need time... Life prevented any further investigation until 2:30 Saturday afternoon when we had a couple of friends who are a couple over to play. The four of us named a survivor each and stayed the game... Oh my god the fight felt epic surprising and down right life or death! We learned so much on attack strategy from our initial mistakes but managed to over come the beast. Only losing one survivor, Beeblebrox, to a vicious chomp of the head that burst his skull like a melon. This so unnerved the remaining survivors that it took all they had just to remain there and decide to stay together. From there we were so enthralled we setup our initial settlement made some weapons from the bits of cat we chopped from the first corpse and went after more! The second fight went better as we were far more coordinated and better equipped. No survivor lost their life on the fight, however after returning or survivors put on a performance of the kill for the settlement. In this performance methusala playing the part of the hunter was killed in an accident where the claws of the beast drew to much blood.

We continued to develop the settlement then discovered we'd been playing for 6 hours and ended the session.

We are so looking forward to playing more so awesome so deep so many different choices to make with enough random elements that no progression will be the same. Wow oh wow so glad I backed. I'm also glad it took this long as my wife had been gradually getting more henning experience and was not overwhelmed by this game that really does need four people to start lots of details need that many learning to keep it all together!

• Like 3

It is not intended for one offs. A single lantern year, or full game turn, could be a session but settlements will hopefully last 20 ish. I've seen settlements get nuked in as little as five.

The wife and I have gotten to where the two of us can do a lantern year in around an hour. It involves hunting a monster, battling it, resolving some settlement stuff, building more things then repeating.

• Like 1

It is not intended for one offs. A single lantern year, or full game turn, could be a session but settlements will hopefully last 20 ish. I've seen settlements get nuked in as little as five.

The wife and I have gotten to where the two of us can do a lantern year in around an hour. It involves hunting a monster, battling it, resolving some settlement stuff, building more things then repeating.

Weren't they running one-offs at GenCon? I didn't think they were playing full campaigns there at their demo booth...

From a few of the videos I've seen I believe they had a group pre-set as if they were part way through a campaign already, each group of demo-ers played the same fight over and over again. You could possibly figure out how to equip a group and fight a monster as if you were part way through a campaign (or just fight the first battle over and over, which would get dull as you don't have any equipment), and you'd get a taste for how the combats work, but you'd be missing a huge part of the game which is the struggle to survive, build a community, harvest animal parts, advance your society, etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...