How are Eldar this good?

generalripphook

I've played games where I've been out generaled and I've played games where the opponents list has obviously been constructed better than mine.

However I've never played a game where every option in their book has been better than mine.

They have enormous speed, ridiculous good psykic powers and great durability with serpent shields, wraiths and jinks.

Along with the fact that the formations just make them even better.

Yet, Eldar do not dominate the tournament scene, as far as I've seen.

There are a few items in the Eldar dex I don't use (Ranged WK's, D-Scythes, or Scatterbikes), but other than that, I don't think they are any worse than many of the marine load-outs I've seen.

Marines have better everything than guard as well, don't they? And a Guard's strength comes in numbers and heavy vehicles, which you should generally have an advantage in.

A Guardsman will outshoot a Guardian Defender most any day of the week, point for point. They also get superior heavy/special options and can blob up to form rather terrifying assault or shooting units.

Chimeras, at half the price of a Wave Serpent, are arguably a better shooting platform (especially because of the fire points and Lasgun Arrays.)

Eldar have no tanks with the durability of a Leman Russ chassis. AV14/13/11 with a 3+ cover save is incredibly rough to bring down.

IG weapons typically outrange their Eldar counterparts, such as Lascannons shooting 48" while Bright Lances are 36".

IG's flyers (Valkyrie, Vendetta, Vulture) are much tougher than their Eldar counterparts while having transport capacity to boot. The Eldar have a slight edge in firepower, but only a slight one.

IG's artillery pieces (Wyvern, Manticore, Colossus, Quad Launcher) greatly outperform their Eldar analogues.

Primaris Psykers and Priests easily blow away Warlocks in terms of squad support and available powers.

IG orders are much more reliable than Eldar psychic powers are and can bring some of the best special rules in the game.

Pask and Yarrick are superior to any special character in the Eldar book, hands down.

• Like 1

That last point is REALLY not the case.  Lol.  

But that being said he's mostly right otherwise.  Imperial Guard are EXCELLENT in large numbers and they can pack a REALLY mean punch against the normal lists in 40K.  I personally have been using an outstanding IMperial Guard unit (blob with three Psykers and 3 Priests) and it basically never dies and does abslutely devastating amounts of damage when it gets there.  Terrain is its bane but I mean that's negotiable because so often you have artillery behind you PUNCTUATING the point that the enemy cannot really stand in the back and wait for the bombardments to stop because, put simply, they won't stop.  

The Deathstrike missile launcher alone will convince almost anyone to come forward or face the consequences.  THAT thing is crazy and is amazingly NOT found in most IG forces.  In my mind, that's an incredible statement.  I've felt its sting first hand and I can only say this:  Had i known what that thing was going to d oto me, I might have picked a better day to play the long game.  oofta.  Couple it with the Wyverns with camo netting behind an Aegis Defense line?  Dayam.  The Wyverns can walk fire across a line and shred you to pieces.

I cannot argue about the fact that the Eldar codex has some serious potential for mismatches if someone does NOT change their list to account for their existence now.  I certainly think this is more a list issue because at least in ITC TYPE events, you're not seeing five of them show up so I mean it's really usually the one Wraith Knight that if you can deal with IT you're good oooooor...  If you can QUICKLY engage the bikes it supports through sheer ferocity and speed...  Then you ought to fare better.  But if you have zero tools to stop the bikes from focus firing things to pieces while its wraithknight controls the middle and holds you at bay (which is kinda what they try to do) then yeah.  It will be a rough day at the office. 

My Sisters of Battle have unfortunately had to undergo a fairly significant change when 6th Edition came out and then when 7th Editions WraithKight came out, my list changed to counter this also, but i now own the pieces necessary to deal with it and still compete against others.  I think this transmutation of peoples list is an unfortunate reality of the game, but i dont feel like IG cannot adjust.  i think that the IG Generals are just not excited about more painting projects.  Lol.

The Deathstrike missile launcher alone will convince almost anyone to come forward or face the consequences.  THAT thing is crazy and is amazingly NOT found in most IG forces.  In my mind, that's an incredible statement.  I've felt its sting first hand and I can only say this:  Had i known what that thing was going to d oto me, I might have picked a better day to play the long game.  oofta.  Couple it with the Wyverns with camo netting behind an Aegis Defense line?  Dayam.  The Wyverns can walk fire across a line and shred you to pieces.

I've run the Deathstrike quite a few times. I like the concept, but for a 160pt once-per game shot, which doesn't always get to fire, the weapon is just too unreliable to field realistically. It's very difficult to deal 160pts of damage with this weapon (especially since you don't know when it will fire).

Even with bad deployment, my opponent spreads out for that deathstrike. Units move further apart. And the darn thing can't do anything to flyers. I don't think I've ever done 160pts of damage with the deathstrike. Void shields also are rather unreasonable for this thing to have to deal with (not like void shields stop flyers or flying MCs, and the missile is the size of a flyer or flying MC...).

For game suggestions, give it Missile Lock and the ability to ignore Void Shields. Although this wouldn't break it in any respect, it would become much more viable and common.

That last point is REALLY not the case.  Lol. 

Which Eldar special character(s) do you think are as-good or better than Yarrick or Pask? The only one that see any play in any kind of competitive list is Barroth, because he is the only IC available now with Hit and Run to add to a Seerstar. The other Phoenix Lords are significantly more expensive than him, have middling weaponry (with one or two exceptions), and very poor synergy with the 7E codex as a whole. Eldrad is one of the strongest psykers in the game, but his lack of a jetbike (or other mobility) relegates him to babysitting units of Guardians or artillery. Yriel is simply mediocre, and always has been. And as much as I like him, Illic is inferior to even the Vindicare Assassin (who is himself generally considered to be a bit lackluster.)