WarPorch Games Day! Nov 21st

fluger

I have yet to finish them.  Ezra's been doing basketball and it's been eating up a lot of my evenings.  I'm going to get it done tonight and clean up some more.  The house is a freaking disaster!  :(  

Oh, but I have an electric space heater now, and I'm going to set it up tonight and let it go all night to build up a nice base heat.  

• Like 1

Well we forded the river safely to reach Flugers house and got a couple games of Frostgrave in.  First game took twice as long as the second game.  Progress!

Twas fun.  Took a little reprogramming to get the particulars down but i was MUCH more comfortable the second game we played.  I kind of knew what I needed to do by that point.  Almost got out of the fray with zero casualties until my Wizard got zero'd with a lucky roll of a Nat 20.  D'oh!  But for that I likely would have lost no one in either game!  

But then what do you expect from an Illusionist?

Also had fun playing the Tokyo game (I can't recall its exact name) where you play monsters there to smash Tokyo and sort of jockying for the first crack at it by fighting one another.  Fun premise, simple mechanic, and interesting power cards with a dice element that plays to the gargamer in me as well.  simple and fast game.  Liked it.

I think when we do this again, I'd like to bring Alien Frontiers.

• Like 1

We've only played two games so the play testing is still in the early stages, but overall I am pleased with how my house rules worked. No single warband is dominating yet and everyone's income is still fairly meager. The two areas of improvement that I've identified are xp awards and Random Encounters.

The modest special xp awards in the official Frostgrave scenarios suggest to me that xps should be a bit harder to come by. Also, after two games my Summoner is level 7, which is only 6 stat/spell boosts, but still I think it's a bit much. Consequently, I believe that some minor reductions to the xp awards are in order.

Casting 1

The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from his or her own school: 10 xp

The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from an aligned school: 15 xp

The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from a neutral school: 20 xp

The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from an opposed school: 25 xp

‘Taking Out’ Enemy Models 2

Enemy Soldier: 15 xp

Enemy Apprentice: 30 xp

Enemy Wizard: 100 xp

‘Taking Out’ Creatures

Starting Health 01-05: 5 xp

Starting Health 06-10: 10 xp

Starting Health 11-15: 15 xp

Starting Health 16-20: 50 xp

Starting Health 21+: 100 xp

+10 xp if the creature type is immune to non-magical weapons

+10 xp if the creature was controlled by an enemy warband when it was taken out3

Exploits

Each Treasure Token recovered by the Wizard or a member of the Wizard’s warband: 50 xp4

Each Treasure Token held by the Wizard or a member of the Wizard’s warband at game’s end: 25 xp5

Each unclaimed Treasure Token on the Wizard’s enemy’s half of the table at game’s end: 25 xp6

I love the mayhem caused by random encounters, but if I am going to tie the level of the encounter to the level of the Wizard whose warband triggered the encounter, I ought to improve the chances that said Wizard's warband will have to deal with encounter. Thus, I've changed to the rules that determine where the creature arrives on the table from completely random to a little less random plus some fun surprises.

Not So Random Encounters: (optional)

If the players mutually agree to use the Random Encounter rules, then the level of each encounter is not determined randomly. Instead, the level of the encounter is determined by the level of the Wizard whose warband triggered the encounter. If a warband’s Wizard does not participate in the scenario due to an injury from Survival Table, then that warband’s level of encounter is it’s Wizard’s level divided by two (rounding up).

Level 1-5 Wizards: Level 1 Encounter

Level 5-15 Wizards: Level 2 Encounter

Level 16+ Wizards: Level 3 Encounter

Use the standard rules for the placement of creatures, but instead of determining the table edge randomly, use the following chart.

1 – The warband that triggered the encounter must place the creature in contact with the Treasure Token that triggered the encounter.

2-10 –The triggering warband's starting table edge

11-13 – The table edge to the right of the triggering warband's starting table edge

14-16 – The table edge opposite of the triggering warband's starting table edge

17-19 – The table edge to the left of the triggering warband's starting table edge

20 – The table edge is chosen by the warband that triggered the encounter

Please note that when the Random Encounter creature is placed on the table any model (excluding uncontrolled creatures) that is within 1” of the placed creature is now 'in combat' with the newly placed creature.

• Like 3

We made a small error during our Frostgrave games. During the Wizard and Apprentice activation phases a player can 'group activate' the spellcaster and 3 models or activate the spellcaster and 3 models in the normal manner.

From the FAQ:

Activation – During the Wizard and Apprentice phases, a players has two options:

1) Normal Activation in which the spellcaster activates and has the choice to activate up to three soldiers who are within 3” of the spellcaster at the beginning of the phase. Then, one at a time, each figure completes it two actions. The player may activate these figures in whatever order he wishes. (e.g. you can activate two soldiers, then your wizard, then another soldier).

2) A player may use ‘Group Activation’ where he again activates the spellcaster and up to three soldiers who are within 3” of the spellcaster at the beginning of the phase. In this case, all four figures move as their first action, in whatever order the player wishes, and then they all take their second action in whatever order the player wishes. When using group activation, all figures must move as their first action. The figures’ second actions can all be different if the player wishes (e.g. after all four have moved, the player has two figures shoot, another move again, and the wizard cast a spell).