Total War Warhammer Pre order shenanigans and Chaos

sergentzimm

Well, I'm not familiar with the scenarios in this one, obviously, but I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Total War was really an homage to the old Matthew Broderick movie War Games.  "The only way to win is not to play the game."

Even when I choose wise battles, there is no way to play the battle and avoid taking 10% (and usually more like 20%) casualties while the computer can fight the same battle with less than 0.1% casualties.

• 2 months later...

Well my dwarfs made it to turn 9 before they were gang raped by 5 different orc armies....I did beat grimgore though...so that was a highlight. But old Thorgrim bought it to some no named orc lord. This game is just [big bad swear word]ing stupid. I can't recruit more armies and yet I'm constantly outnumbered if I leave my city. So you just sit there in your city for 30 turns until the massed enemy armies eventually come knocking at your door?

To be fair, that's exactly how I picture dwarves fighting...Just sit their mount fortress mining and crafting (and drinking), until armies show up and attack them. The whole idea of dwarves marching to battle seems like an end times thing...

Read the context there. It doesn't matter what your freaking army is. I have yet to find a way to keep my armies healthy considering the sheer number of enemy armies that always seem to be lurking about. Also, the auto-fight thing is a pile of crap. Whatever system they use to determine who is going to win is garbage. I have not gone back to play it again since taking my orcs to 30 turns and basically not being able to afford more than two armies and therefore unable to expand since I can't hold any territory. Wait for a steam sale.

• 4 months later...

Also, the auto-fight thing is a pile of crap. Whatever system they use to determine who is going to win is garbage.

Have you ever played a game where the auto-fight option resulted in the same victory or defeat that you would have gotten if you played? I've never seen a game with a functioning auto-fight option. And for that matter, games with an Fast travel option, usually simulate the slowest route possible.

But I understand you point, definitely sounds like your having difficulties enjoying the game. I never bought the game, mostly because I'm not a PC gamer these days. I'm also very cautious of anything GW puts their stamp on, as they don't seem to usually generate very good products that aren't models. In addition, the issues you are describing are the same issues I've had with Total War games in the past, though this does seem more extreme. Total war always struck me as a great game if only it was turn based.

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed this announcement on the Steam game page for TWWH;

"“And with Bretonnia, we’re bringing our time in the Old World to a close. Production on the sequel to TW: Warhammer has been underway for some time already and is now a key focus for the studio. It’s time to travel to new lands and discover new races.”

And they are not talking about additional Old World lands,,humm...

11 hours ago, splinx said:

Did they just AOS it? Lol 

Being a fan of AoS,I honestly dont think they are gonna go this direction,that being the Mortal Realms and all that stuff.One thing being is that they probably dont have the liscensing to do that as part of their contract.The other being that there just isint enough "fleshed out" yet about the various kingdoms,cities and continents that have been presented for AoS.Plus I think GW would want any form of "Total War Age of Sigmar" to be a new and fresh game not some mod of an existing series.

Im thinking it will be a homebrew but with a large modding aspect like many of the other TW games have,,this in itself could of course lead to a AoS Total war game much in the same way the TWWH came about.This would also allow for fans of the Old World to come up with some great modded content in that setting as well.

12 hours ago, Scipiano said:

I believe the developer plans were for a Starcraft II style system, where there are separate games that all mesh together. Next on the block should be the 'New World', so Naggarond, Lustria, and Ulthuan.

Yeah,I read a more specific rumor/specualtion blog that stated this as well.

As far as an AoS Total War game,,I wouldnt rule it out but I just dont see it happening for at least a few years,if it would be a Total War title at all..I actually think it would fit better as a Dawn of War style RTS game.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've played a few of the total war mini campaigns to some enjoyment, but its usually all about the Grand Campaign for me, with a lot of faction interplay. This Total War probably offers the most versatility in factions and how they interact.

I should hope that the TW: Warhammer games would function like standalone expansions (a la Dark Crusade or Soulstorm for Dawn of War). Perhaps playable on their own, but completely linkable with the base game's Grand Campaign.