Fallout 4

POOPSOCK!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not too fond of the menu system, it seems pretty clunky to me. Anyone else notice this?

Menu system is clunky. One of the few legitimate complaints about the game, from online reviews. In general, the buttons are difficult to get into the swing of, more so then other games (I'm on Ps4).

So for those that have played, is there a faster way to scrap your junk than to put it on the ground in one of your cities(like Sanctuary), then switch to workshop mode and scrap the items now on the floor? Seems like there must be a way to do it in the inventory, but I can't figure it out.

Beyond that, anyone found a good way to either recharge or replace the power source for that power armor? I want to field it all the time, but I keep running out of energy and those power sources are hard to find.

Also I am having a glitching issue but that'll be related to my hardware. I basically get minor freeze-ups and the sound gets all staticy. It might be my video card which is better than recommended but not up to suggested, but with the sound cutting up like it does I think I am going to upgrade to 16GB of ram to see if that helps.

What video card? I'm running a gtx970 & 16gb of ram & it runs as smooth as a newly released Bethesda game can.

Also I am having a glitching issue but that'll be related to my hardware. I basically get minor freeze-ups and the sound gets all staticy. It might be my video card which is better than recommended but not up to suggested, but with the sound cutting up like it does I think I am going to upgrade to 16GB of ram to see if that helps.

I've had the same problem.  I've had it in other games as well, not sure why the video card would do it but who knows.  I'm running an old Radeon 7800 so I suppose that would be an easy upgrade.

I've had the same problem.  I've had it in other games as well, not sure why the video card would do it but who knows.  I'm running an old Radeon 7800 so I suppose that would be an easy upgrade.

Not an easy upgrade for me as I am playing on a laptop. But I just ordered 16GB of Ram so we'll see if that helps.

• Like 1

Beyond that, anyone found a good way to either recharge or replace the power source for that power armor? I want to field it all the time, but I keep running out of energy and those power sources are hard to find.

I had to look that up yesterday myself... Basically you can simply Store all your junk in the workshop and it will automatically break stuff down when you need the parts for something. Weapons and armor and other useful items must be broken down manually at the appropriate station (armor bench, weapons, etc).

I had to look that up yesterday myself... Basically you can simply Store all your junk in the workshop and it will automatically break stuff down when you need the parts for something. Weapons and armor and other useful items must be broken down manually at the appropriate station (armor bench, weapons, etc).

Yeah, sort of. Been experimenting and playing a bunch. Far too many unexplained aspects of the game.

Deal is that it will break down SOME items, and won't do others. More so, the workbenches will only register SOME items. In particular, many of the armor options are like this.

Now if you take the item in question and drop it on the floor, then switch to build mode and scrap it like you'd do any other terrain, you can actually scrap the items that the workbench(s) won't register. And this is the ONLY way to break down the idem prior to spending them on a construction (which matters for the next bit).

So, each little area with a workbench, and such, has a combined and separate resource pool. In Example, my Sanctuary workbench shares inventory with my armor, weapon, chemistry, cooking, and power armor work stations AT THAT LOCATION ONLY. This means that if I want to take gear from one location to another, like take the parts I need from Sanctuary to the Castle, I need to physically transfer the contents of one workbench to another. This can be very tedious, especially as they often have more weight in their Junk forms, rather than as the individual components.

Anyway, basically solved that one. Thanks for the aid.

As for recharging the fusion cores, turns out that they are much more common drops later in the game, so it's not a big deal. Some of the shopkeepers even have a fresh supply daily. 

And on a side note, the quest for entry to vault 81 does not require the fusion cores to be full. Indeed, turning in 3 cores with 1/100 energy left is just the same to them as 3 cores with 100/100 energy left.

Wow...okay, finally looked up the fallout 4 settlement building stuff. Wow, really glad I did.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_settlements

My main take away is that the is a hard cap on settlers of 10+CHA per settlement. Yeah, game never mentions this at all. And to think, I've been wondering why my CHA 3 character is having trouble getting settlers beyond 13. I've been thinking I was doing something wrong. And I have so many extra beds, too...fail.

I didn't "spoiler" this one because I really don't think you'd ever determine this mechanic while playing the game. Still, nice to know where the cap is, so I can start building smaller cities. I was kinda under the impression that the cities would get really really big if I had enough resources (food/beds/water), so I've been erecting these massive compounds. Nothing in the link is really a spoiler, it's mostly reference, but it does further link to many spoilers.

If you take the local leader perk under Charisma, you can assign a settler from any of your settlements to create a supply line from point A to point B. Then, the connected settlements will allow you access to anything stored in those linked workshops.

You can view your supply lines in the pipboy map once you have the perk, there should be a command option at the bottom of the screen to toggle off all other icons and just show the linked routes. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between which settler you assign from which settlement (directionality), just that the settlements have to be linked.

If you take the local leader perk under Charisma, you can assign a settler from any of your settlements to create a supply line from point A to point B. Then, the connected settlements will allow you access to anything stored in those linked workshops.

You can view your supply lines in the pipboy map once you have the perk, there should be a command option at the bottom of the screen to toggle off all other icons and just show the linked routes. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between which settler you assign from which settlement (directionality), just that the settlements have to be linked.

The other option is that with max ranks in the carry weight increase perk, you can fast travel while encumbered.

As far as I can tell, there isn't an upwards cap on weight you can carry (that 'take all' option had me walking with 1600 pounds at one point).

On a side note, the most impressive thing you can build in any settlement is that welcome mat which allows you to appear there when you fast travel. Its under resources, then miscellaneous. Saves so much time.

Anyway, regarding settlements, the other interesting thing I've encountered is that your followers, when dismissed, will take up space in a settlement. At present, my very unsocial character has a single settlement with only followers and no radio recruitment beacon.

Piper, I don't really like on my current character, so I've got her doing housework.... yeah, feels very patriarchal and makes me feel a bit guilty, but this character just isn't social or smart enough to grasp that dynamic...

Intro only, I got very distracted with it and have a huge empire. Keep the happy and grow all the corn, mutfruit, and tatos you can for making vegetable starch utility item at cook stations. If you over produce things like food and water your settlements will deposit them in the workstation. The vegetable starch counts as 5 adhesive towards modifying wich is awesome!

Whole reason I went supply chain with local leader. Link those settlements and your junk or building supplies are everywhere. This includes your food bits that craft. Just watch out whatever you craft jumps into your personal inventory and will need to be dropped into a workbench.

Is Settlement building a part of the main quest line?

No, its not.  There is no requirement to do settlement building at all, although you will probably find it useful to do a little bit at least in one location.  There is a 'main' quest early on that is basically a quick tutorial on settlement building when you get access to your first settlement.

A lot of side quests get you additional settlements or areas to settle, some of which start in a deficit (of food/water/beds/defense).  That said, you do get pretty good xp for crafting stuff, and can easily make a few levels modifying weapons/armor and building a few things in settlements to get them going.  You don't have to do anything fancy for them, unless you are striving to make their happiness really high.

I have this new issue. I don't know if it's a bug, or intentional, but twice now, my Settlers have suddenly started attacking my PC for no reason.

First time was in Covenant. It wasn't a huge issue - killed them, put a beacon up, got more settlers. Annoying, but I had assumed one of my followers had mistakenly gotten hit by a turret and it was just fluke.

Second time was a disaster. Happened in the Castle. Killing them wasn't the issue, the settlers entered my suits of standby power armor, so killing them meant the loss of the PA frames. I'm playing a low CHA character, so that was an expensive loss.

EDIT: Hard to find stuff online regarding this, but found it. Apparently, those Synths can disguise as your settlers, enter your settlement, and then start a firefight. I've heard the only real way to detect the Synths is to take the Awareness perk and look for unusual stats on Settlers. My PC is also low PER, so no Awareness :(

Though poorly explained, major props to Fallout 4. A very unpopular, gutsy way to make the NPC threat real. I have been very impressed with this game. The Settlements function of the game is part of the game, through and through, it's not a mini-game like so many others with city building. Annoying, yes, but makes me very happy, as too many games don't attempt this sort of thing and they really should.

Is Settlement building a part of the main quest line?

Yes, but it's more a brief tutorial on making settlements than a requirement to maintain them. The main thing that settlement building brings to the game is that you get XP each time you generate a new object (just like any other type of crafting), which means there is a pretty valid out of combat/questing way to get XP if your stuck or otherwise need a level or two.

As the others, Fallout 4 is a sandbox game. You can easily ignore large sections of the game with no real penalty. My current PC didn't do the quest to save the people of Concord (minutemen starter quest) until level 25-ish. The following quest is the one that requires making a settlement.

On a side note, if you just want that power armor, you can jump off the Church's roof, land on the back of the vertabird, and swipe the power armor without doing that entire quest (save before you jump, as falling kills you). There's also a few other suits of free power armor laying around the game.

A lot of side quests get you additional settlements or areas to settle, some of which start in a deficit (of food/water/beds/defense).  That said, you do get pretty good xp for crafting stuff, and can easily make a few levels modifying weapons/armor and building a few things in settlements to get them going.  You don't have to do anything fancy for them, unless you are striving to make their happiness really high.

That cooking stove I overlooked in most other games, but it really makes a difference in adding XP for killing critters. Plus, cooked food doesn't have RADs in it (I'm unclear on the fluff mechanic here of cooking removing radiation).

If you take the power cores out of your PA frames then NPCs can't use them. That interesting about the synths, I haven't encountered that yet.

Really?

I have done experimenting with un-powered PA. It's very manageable aside from that very annoying beeping noise. Slow, yes, but manageable.

And you can use VATs with un-powered PA, you just can't use VATs to make attacks (so it's still able to slow time to turn around or locate enemies).

I have yet to attempt it successfully, but I have debated building a stealing character that steals power armor from the brotherhood. At present, I just destroy the brotherhood with my guy, but I have to buy the frames from that guy in diamond city.

I did learn that you can command your followers to get into suits of power armor, and it does appear that they drain power as normal.

Unrelated, one big change over FO3 is that the bobble heads and other stat increases DO increase stats beyond 10. FO3 almost penalized players for starting with high stats. I found the Endurance bobble and my toon has base 11 END, which increases to 13 in daylight...