Fallout 4

If only you could be the General of the Minutemen in more than just name.  Who knew being the Minuteman General equated to actually being their errand boy/girl who runs around killing random enemies and rescuing settlers who get themselves kidnapped over and over again (I'm looking at you Abernathy women!)

Having reached the end of my first playthrough (lvl 50, main faction questlines completed) I think I've found the main weakness (imo) of the game: replayability. I really have no interest in trying a different build in another playthrough... not even in short runs with a few different approaches. This is unusual for me... for example, I completed Skyrim (all factions) with three different builds. I can't put my finger on exactly what Fallout 4 is missing. Variety, maybe?

• Like 1

Having reached the end of my first playthrough (lvl 50, main faction questlines completed) I think I've found the main weakness (imo) of the game: replayability. I really have no interest in trying a different build in another playthrough... not even in short runs with a few different approaches. This is unusual for me... for example, I completed Skyrim (all factions) with three different builds. I can't put my finger on exactly what Fallout 4 is missing. Variety, maybe?

I've also run into the issue of not having much to do after completing the main quests and being high level. I really hope that the season pass will add some new content that makes me want to try it all again.

As for missing things, being forced to play human is annoying. Skyrims race system adds minor variety that really does help with replayability. I also though the pre-DLC vampire added another neat alternative way to play.

And as for game fixes, I really liked that carriage system in skyrim. Being able to easily get to the main cities without finding them was a really big help to replay the game. I could start in an entirely new area with minor effort.

In addition, the armor system is very irritating in this game. they have this great piecemeal armor system, but then they ruin it by having certain types are of armor that are just better in every way (like the x-01 power armor). I think the T-51 is the coolest armor, but I feel like an idiot for using it when it's notably worse than most of the other types.

Being unable to create weapons/armor is very irritating when trying to build new characters that specialize in certain weapons or armors. For example, my level 54 character has x-01 armor pieces for all areas except one arm. According to the internet, until I find all pieces, no vendor will ever sell it. It also doesn't spawn anywhere specific, and isn't tied to any quests.

As for city building, I'd really like some turrets that were concealed until needed. Aside from being really loud, they just serve to document how lacking the AI is by not sniping out the turrets at long range....

Indeed, the new game sheen has worn off somewhat after playing through the game once. I still likely have a few more side quests here and there, but I think I've gotten through the bulk of the content on my main file. However, I really can't complain too much, everything about the game works really well for me. Art direction, music, factions, companions, combat, and even the settlement/crafting system are much improved from earlier Fallouts in my opinion.

That said, I picked up a few quality of life mods for better immersion. Small things until the GECK comes out, but stronger vertibirds that rarely get shot down, being able to give ballistic weave to any clothing, and settler renaming have gone a long way for how simple they are. I am enjoying a second playthrough due to a drastic combat style change, but I do feel similarly in regards to the content compared to previous titles. I think that a big part of it is that there are only the big factions tied to the main quest, whereas in New Vegas you had the many smaller factions. (Granted though, in most playthroughs they are considered content of the main quest.) I'm fine with the raiders being jet-fueled psychopaths for the most part (the terminal readings were cool though), but the Gunners seem like a huge missed opportunity. They could have been the alternate path to the Minutemen.

I deliberated for quite a bit as an agent of every faction, and eventually settled with the Minutemen. My headcanon for the fetch quests being deliberated to me is that my troops take care of most of the grunt work, but some battles or sensitive missions need the stirring presence of the General. Waiting for a mod that lets me deliberate those quests to my troops completely. I use the settler renaming mod to promote mere settlers to Minutemen, and my combat veterans are commended for their service and allowed to become Grenadiers.

The Grenadiers are given Colonial Dusters (Preston's cavalry outfit), Assault Gas Masks and a heavily modified laser rifle with their name inscribed. They are essentially my burgeoning nation's version of the Veteran Rangers from New Vegas. They are more line troop than scout though. My postgame vision for my General character is acting much like General Washington did during the founding of America, a charismatic soldier who lead his people to victory, lead the country in its infancy, and after a suitable term in stabilizing the land, left the country in the hands of capable intelligentsia to retire to his estate with his robot wife.

• Like 2

My wife and I are taking our time to finish the game. We are level 74 and have just gotten to the Institute.  I wish we could have more dialogue to tell the Institute how wrong their policies are. [sigh].

Ah well.  

I am looking forward to doing a second playthrough.  I plan on trying to play as Grognak the Barbarian.  Our current build is a stealth sniper (as usual), so going total stupid melee will be a much different experience.

My wife and I are taking our time to finish the game. We are level 74 and have just gotten to the Institute.  I wish we could have more dialogue to tell the Institute how wrong their policies are. [sigh].

Ah well.  

I am looking forward to doing a second playthrough.  I plan on trying to play as Grognak the Barbarian.  Our current build is a stealth sniper (as usual), so going total stupid melee will be a much different experience.

I tried a high CHA character to attempt to make peace with all factions, but failed.

So I was having alot of trouble connecting the App to my Xbox 1. I think alot of folks are having this issue so if you are try this.

This solution is for Xbox 1

Go to settings > network > advanced settings > alternate MAC address > clear > restart

After doing this I connected right up.

Happy wandering.

• Like 2

So I was having alot of trouble connecting the App to my Xbox 1. I think alot of folks are having this issue so if you are try this.

My PC runs the game fine (except extended sessions sometimes get laggy) but I found the app to cause more lag, I also found it a bit annoying to have to look to another device for stuff. Neat idea, but I am not a fan (nor is my PC).

I've also run into the issue of not having much to do after completing the main quests and being high level. I really hope that the season pass will add some new content that makes me want to try it all again.

As for missing things, being forced to play human is annoying. Skyrims race system adds minor variety that really does help with replayability. I also though the pre-DLC vampire added another neat alternative way to play.

And as for game fixes, I really liked that carriage system in skyrim. Being able to easily get to the main cities without finding them was a really big help to replay the game. I could start in an entirely new area with minor effort.

In addition, the armor system is very irritating in this game. they have this great piecemeal armor system, but then they ruin it by having certain types are of armor that are just better in every way (like the x-01 power armor). I think the T-51 is the coolest armor, but I feel like an idiot for using it when it's notably worse than most of the other types.

Being unable to create weapons/armor is very irritating when trying to build new characters that specialize in certain weapons or armors. For example, my level 54 character has x-01 armor pieces for all areas except one arm. According to the internet, until I find all pieces, no vendor will ever sell it. It also doesn't spawn anywhere specific, and isn't tied to any quests.

As for city building, I'd really like some turrets that were concealed until needed. Aside from being really loud, they just serve to document how lacking the AI is by not sniping out the turrets at long range....

Not trying to derail thread but wanted to point out to you that The Elder Scrolls online no longer has a subscription.

You still have to buy the main game but other than that its like a multiplayer version of Skyrim only with a massive world.Ive not played Fallout4 much in recent weeks since I decided to jump into TESO...but to be honest,Ive always had a tough time sticking with the "Post Apocalypse" game settings anyway,they eventually bum me out,lol.

Not trying to derail thread but wanted to point out to you that The Elder Scrolls online no longer has a subscription.

You still have to buy the main game but other than that its like a multiplayer version of Skyrim only with a massive world.Ive not played Fallout4 much in recent weeks since I decided to jump into TESO...but to be honest,Ive always had a tough time sticking with the "Post Apocalypse" game settings anyway,they eventually bum me out,lol.

I played the beta for ESO and was horribly disappointed. I was really hoping for a game like Skyrim, but instead, it just felt like another WoW clone. I played maybe 5 hours on PC and turned it off and uninstalled.

Free monthly would be nice. I look into it again. It's true, I only played the beta. Plus, I'd be on the Ps4 this time around.

I did the same thing with the Beta,then promptly wrote it off.Making the AH guild based only was the last straw for me.

What got me to take a new look was loading up Skyrim again only to find that my game save that I thought was in the steam cloud was gone..and I was at least 2/3rds done with the main story.Then after checking the Bethesda site and forums,it seems that they have put the next single player ESO game on the back burner and plan to focus more on expanding TESO.

So I decided to give it a shot and wow,the game is many times improved over what the beta was.For one thing they actually have a group finder that works now,lol.

Anyhow back on topic,,were do I get more power cores for that suit thing????

Anyhow back on topic,,were do I get more power cores for that suit thing????

The secret is that they are considered ammo, so that Perk that increases ammo finds will also increase your chances to get power cores (and the quantity of power cores found). Having high luck helps too. Beyond that, yeah, they can be bought from vendors in the ammo tab. They are very expensive.

That Gatling Laser is the weapon that uses them as ammo.

Killing Sentry Bots and Brotherhood of Steel in power armor, is also a great way to get power cores.

My PC runs the game fine (except extended sessions sometimes get laggy) but I found the app to cause more lag, I also found it a bit annoying to have to look to another device for stuff. Neat idea, but I am not a fan (nor is my PC).

My wife likes the app because while I am running around killing stuff, she can be checking our quests and looking at our inventory.  For example, if I loot something, I don't have to stop doing stuff. She can use the app to see how it compares to what we currently have equipped, etc.

• Like 1

So far not as impressed as I hoped I would be; but Fallout 3 was enjoyable so I'll keep going and see if the crafting impacts the game in a new, fun way.

"Survival" difficulty level was weird... the bad guys damage you severely, but you don't damage them as severely.  "Very hard" seems to at least have some kind of balance with respects to that.

So far not as impressed as I hoped I would be; but Fallout 3 was enjoyable so I'll keep going and see if the crafting impacts the game in a new, fun way.

"Survival" difficulty level was weird... the bad guys damage you severely, but you don't damage them as severely.  "Very hard" seems to at least have some kind of balance with respects to that.

Yeah, "Survival" really takes some getting used to. I think you really have to build your character around that one, especially investing in early access to perks that increase damage output and decrease damage input. Also feels like I should be in PA the entire time.

My character that I got to 40-something just increasing all my stats to 10, has a real hard time on survival as my character doesn't have any damage increasing perks, or durability perks. So I'm having trouble killing some enemies with a Fatman.....

• 2 weeks later...

Started again, but have been doing it purely on survival mode. Slow, constantly saving, but manageable. I'm level 24. I'm mostly ignoring the quests, though I've done many of the minutemen ones. Mainly adventuring on the surface, in the outdoors.

The key I found to survival mode is that you really can't afford to take any damage in combat. So I'm running a "Jet-junkie" Sneak build, which works, but still requires saving often. I've also been making heavy use of the Flare Gun and Artillery Smokes, as both make my surface adventuring much more easy (been installing artillery at every settlement). Really, any time I can make my opponents fight eachother or NPCs works great for me.

I haven't found power armor to be very useful, as it relies on taking damage, plus I'm not high enough level to get the integrated stealth boy.

The really annoying one is that recently I got a "legendary" weapon that gives bonus damage based on withdrawal levels. Sounds amazing, but I'm already immune to withdrawal (Perks)....

• 4 weeks later...

Note to settlers of the Commonwealth.

When I met many of you, you barely had clothes on and were all carrying pipe pistols with like 5 rounds.  You were wandering the wasteland, bewildered and wondering if anything other than day-to-day survival was even possible any longer.

You now have shelter, ample food, ACTUAL WATER to drink instead of slurry, armor and actual weapon systems that will kill or repel attackers.  And you have dedicated weapons platforms to protect your new communities and healthy, established trading routes.  We have collaborated, cooperated and communicated ourselves to a glimpse of something that seemed ludicrous weeks prior:  long-term, strategic goals for our future.

IT COULD BE WORSE.  Someone with less than you is happy.  All I'm asking for is a heartfelt "hey, thanks" once in a while instead of a notification that for some reason you're... unhappy...

We cannot control anything but ourselves.  Thus, you may not understand why something happens... you may not like something that happens... but YOU and ONLY YOU get to decide how you'll speak, act and think.  We didn't create the situation... but we can deal with it like professionals, dammit.

Respectfully submitted,

me

• Like 3