Raiding Aces League Mar-May 2016

ZeroMoon17

Ok, due to the positive feedback I'll be running this starting on March 19th. The idea is that it will be an escalation campaign and you will have 2-3 weeks to play in each of the three rounds, i.e:

Venue: The kickoff event, Tobruk, and the majority of the games will be played at Guardian Games. However, the rounds may be played at any location, all you need is an opponent, and then post the results here on the forums. Hopefully this will allow our friends outside of the direct PDX area to participate in the raiding aces campaign.

March 19th (11am-3pm @ Guardian Games): Kickoff event, explanation of the rules and first games (500pts)
March 19th - April 2nd: 1st round (500pts)
April 3rd - April 16th: 2nd round (700 pts)
April 17th - April 31st: 3rd Round (900 pts)
May 7th: Battle for Tobruk, super-battle multiplayer ending event (500-700 pts per player, will be decided when we know how many people will be playing)

I do plan on charging an entry fee of $25 (or $5 for each leg of the league, and $10 for the battle of Tobruk, this is an escalation league after all) in order to provide prizes throughout the League.

Here are is a list of available companies for the league:

RAIDING FORCES
British Forces:
LRDG Patrol
SAS Squadron

Italian Forces:
Compagnia Autosahariana 103a
Compagnia Arditi Camionettisti

Free/Vichy French Forces:
Compagnie de Tiralleurs Senegalais
Compagnie Decouverte de Combat

German Forces:
Brandenburger Halbkompanie
Kampfgruppe von Koenen (website PDF)
Unternehmen Dora (website PDF)

US Forces:
OSS Operational Group

GARRISON FORCES
British Forces:
Sudan Rifle Company

Italian Forces:
Compagnia Mitraglieri

Free/Vichy French Forces:
Compagnie de Tiralleurs Senegalais

Here is the PDF with all the rules:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/RaidingAces/Raiding-Aces.pdf

Who's signed up (Forum name, real name, nation, raiding company, garrison company):
Axis (ITA/GER/VFRA)
1. Rcnjack, Keith, Brandenburg, Mitraglieri
2. fingolfin, ?, ITA, ?, ?
3. Bolo, ?, German, Unternehmen Dora, ?
4. Mr. Bigglesworth, ?, Ger?, ?, Pioneers?
5. taran.shannara, Steve M. GERMANY, Unternehman Dora, Raiding company

Allies (USA/UK/FFRA)
1. ZeroMoon17, Michael Henry, UK, SAS, Sudan Rifle (can swap to axis if needed)

2. Barca, James, FFRA, Compagnie Decouverte de Combat, Compagnie de Tiralleurs Senegalais

3. CyrusLucainis, Daniel M., US, OSS Operational Group, ?
4. Apophis93, Daniel A., UK, LRDG, ?

FAQ (to be updated later):

Do I need to stick with the same company throughout the league?
Yes, once you choose a company you have to stick with that company for the duration of the escalation league. Its composition may change, but you cannot go from British SAS to an LRDG list. Obviously this doesn't apply until we first start playing in March, but just as a heads up.

Why is there a raiding force listed and a garrison force listed in the sign ups?
Everyone has the option (not the obligation) to bring both a raiding force and a garrison force. These forces will accumulate raiding aces points separately, but the idea is that if everyone brings a raiding force and a garrison force (or if 80% of people bring both forces) then nobody will have to sit out a game because they both only have a raiding force or a garrison force. At 500 pts, I don't think its all that difficult to do (a couple platoons of infantry and an HMG platoon is typically a garrison force, and some jeeps/kubelwagens/trucks for raiding forces).

Can I bring a list that is not listed above?
Yes, I'm going to allow people to bring any infantry or motorized infantry list from Burning Empires, Hellfire and Back, or North Africa as garrison forces, and any special ops forces as raiders (i.e. paratroopers, commandos, etc.). The restriction to this is NO ARMORED ASSETS. At 500 points it would be pretty hard to bring in, but the sahara was a particularly grueling place for Tanks to do battle and they wouldn't have the speed or reliability to make it on these long range desert patrols.

Where you playing this?

I added the info to the first post,

"Venue:  The kickoff event, Tobruk, and the majority of the games will be played at Guardian Games.  However, the rounds may be played at any location, all you need is an opponent, and then post the results here on the forums.  Hopefully this will allow our friends outside of the direct PDX area to participate in the raiding aces campaign."

Essentially you'll be able to play anywhere you'd like, but the kickoff and the raid on Tobruk will take place (pending reservations) at Guardian Games on March 19th and May 2nd.

Nice:)

Put me down for a German Brandenburg force as I snagged that box of Gliders they had over at GG.

Should I also build an Allied force?...wouldn't mind doing an SaS squadron,heh.

You are welcome to, but then you'd be competing against yourself.  I plan on handing out prizes to the winning team (Axis or Allies) to get a spirited rivalry going between the two sides ;).  

• Like 1

Just so everyone knows, once you choose a company you have to stick with that company for the duration of the escalation league.  Obviously this doesn't apply until we first start playing in March, but just as a heads up.

Second, everyone has the option (not the obligation) to bring both a raiding force and a garrison force.  These forces will accumulate raiding aces points separately, but the idea is that if everyone brings a raiding force and a garrison force (or if 80% of people bring both forces) then nobody will have to sit out a game because they both only have a raiding force or a garrison force.  At 500 pts, I don't think its all that difficult to do (a couple platoons of infantry and an HMG platoon is typically a garrison force, and some jeeps/kubelwagens/trucks for raiding forces).  

Third, I'm going to allow people to bring any infantry or motorized infantry list from Burning Empires, Hellfire and Back, or North Africa as garrison forces, and any special ops forces as raiders (i.e. paratroopers, commandos, etc.).  The restriction to this is NO ARMORED ASSETS.  At 500 points it would be pretty hard to bring in, but the sahara was a particularly grueling place for Tanks to do battle and they wouldn't have the speed or reliability to make it on these long range desert patrols.

I'm excited to see such a quick response from everyone though, I think this will be a lot of fun!

Edit: put most of this post in the first post

@ZeroMoon17   Question on the armored assets blurb. I assume that this applies to only the extra lists you are now allowing, not the main group of lists that are part of the official raiding aces campaign material. Correct? The OSS Operational Group can take support platoon armor once the point level gets high enough. The force list discusses how they were used in the desert raids to harass the enemy.

Just so everyone knows, once you choose a company you have to stick with that company for the duration of the escalation league.  Obviously this doesn't apply until we first start playing in March, but just as a heads up.

Second, everyone has the option (not the obligation) to bring both a raiding force and a garrison force.  These forces will accumulate raiding aces points separately, but the idea is that if everyone brings a raiding force and a garrison force (or if 80% of people bring both forces) then nobody will have to sit out a game because they both only have a raiding force or a garrison force.  At 500 pts, I don't think its all that difficult to do (a couple platoons of infantry and an HMG platoon is typically a garrison force, and some jeeps/kubelwagens/trucks for raiding forces).  

Third, I'm going to allow people to bring any infantry or motorized infantry list from Burning Empires, Hellfire and Back, or North Africa as garrison forces, and any special ops forces as raiders (i.e. paratroopers, commandos, etc.).  The restriction to this is NO ARMORED ASSETS.  At 500 points it would be pretty hard to bring in, but the sahara was a particularly grueling place for Tanks to do battle and they wouldn't have the speed or reliability to make it on these long range desert patrols.

I'm excited to see such a quick response from everyone though, I think this will be a lot of fun!

Edit: put most of this post in the first post

@ZeroMoon17   Question on the armored assets blurb. I assume that this applies to only the extra lists you are now allowing, not the main group of lists that are part of the official raiding aces campaign material. Correct? The OSS Operational Group can take support platoon armor once the point level gets high enough. The force list discusses how they were used in the desert raids to harass the enemy.

That is correct, the "official" (posted) lists can use their armored support, although as per the rules of the raiding aces packet, armored support is not available until step 2 and 3.

I'm assuming that we're using MW points as the OSS and 103a Compagnia Arditi Camionettisti are available...

... though honestly running that list at anything other than 500 points is going to be tough unless you run a two company army...

You may run either the mid war or early war variants of any of the lists. Raiding aces is kind of an Era of its own.

You may run either the mid war or early war variants of any of the lists. Raiding aces is kind of an Era of its own.

It's not really an "era" on its own.  They're sort of their own type of list, but the point costs for many units in EW and MW are different - so you and your opponent will need to be on the same era for points...  better to just standardize it to EW or MW so people don't have to recalculate their lists from game to game.

It's not really an "era" on its own.  They're sort of their own type of list, but the point costs for many units in EW and MW are different - so you and your opponent will need to be on the same era for points...  better to just standardize it to EW or MW so people don't have to recalculate their lists from game to game.

See pg. 21 of the raiding aces rules (entitled Play Any Era). This particular campaign allows for Mid War vs Early War forces.

Question ... looking at the PDF list ... how many infantry stands per vehicle when they dismount? One? Two? Sure I am missing where this is ... but its not clear?

Looks like one MG team per truck.  That seems to make the most sense to me because 8 confident veteran MG teams would certainly cost more than 145 pts per platoon.