Armada: Ship options and dice

So I notice that many of ships A and B options differ by only a number of black die versus a number of blue die. The Black die variants are cheaper and not that I have much experience but I am guessing harder to use due to shorter optimal range.

How do people who have played a bit feel about the difference between the two options?

Does anyone even play this game?

There are still people in the PDX area that do.  I believe The Portland Game Store has a night dedicated to Armada on a weekly basis (Friday, IIRC), so that might be worth checking out.  Those I know that do play tend to play X-wing as well and usually have a preference between the two game systems.

i havent played it in about 3 months now.  the differences depend on how you want to use them.  there's combo cards that work very well depending on ship option A and B.  the range is huge as longer range dice means you can stay at distance and are generally speaking safer from squadrons and short ranged ships.  

my main reason for not playing is infinity has kinda sucked me in along with KoW so it cut out my time in armada.  i also honestly havent had as that great of a 'gamers experience' with one of the pdx armada group so that kinda made it easier to push it to the back... same guy made peanut lose enthusiasm as well.  the new ships look fun though.  what did you end up getting?

i havent played it in about 3 months now.  the differences depend on how you want to use them.  there's combo cards that work very well depending on ship option A and B.  the range is huge as longer range dice means you can stay at distance and are generally speaking safer from squadrons and short ranged ships.  

my main reason for not playing is infinity has kinda sucked me in along with KoW so it cut out my time in armada.  i also honestly havent had as that great of a 'gamers experience' with one of the pdx armada group so that kinda made it easier to push it to the back... same guy made peanut lose enthusiasm as well.  the new ships look fun though.  what did you end up getting?

That stinks, I have thrown down a few games with my local crew that have been pretty fun, but we are not playing competitively,

So far I have gotten great deals on two of each wave one ship other than having only one Gladiator. I also picked up the Wave Two squadrons.

Back to my question, I am just having a hard time seeing that the ships with black dice instead of blue are any good comparatively. I know the black dice are pretty nasty, but the range is seriously detrimental to effectiveness. I haven't done much with upgrades yet, andvI am sure that they will be helpful, but since they both work either type of dice, it is hard to see them altering the base difference in the ships much.

I probably just need more games in to start getting it down, but I haven't had tons of time.

Back to my question, I am just having a hard time seeing that the ships with black dice instead of blue are any good comparatively. I know the black dice are pretty nasty, but the range is seriously detrimental to effectiveness. I haven't done much with upgrades yet, andvI am sure that they will be helpful, but since they both work either type of dice, it is hard to see them altering the base difference in the ships much.

I probably just need more games in to start getting it down, but I haven't had tons of time.

there are tricks for black dice.  mostly the gladiator netlist crap lol.  black dice overall are risky but rerolls really make them nasty...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have only played twice, so take my stuff with salt.

The Black vs Blue/Red argument for me comes largely down to the role of the ship.  I don't have a Gladiator yet, but I'd run the Mk I with Wulff replenishing its Concentrate Fire token, Ordnance Experts letting it reroll it's black dice, Engine Techs giving it an Additional Speed 1 maneuver, Demolisher title to let it do one of its attacks "after (I) execute a maneuver" and Expanded Launchers giving the front arc +2 black dice at 98 points.  2 Red 4 Black front Hull, 4 Black Side Hulls, I can reroll any of my black die, and Shoot Line up next barrage, and shoot again.  

I don't know that it would be effective in a tourney, but in casual play, having some other ships helping herd the opponent towards the Demolisher.

I'd probably do something similar on a Vic I.