OFCC 2016 40k Team Event Players and Captains Primer

So I like the idea of no best General! However this is my problem. My team last year was Cunning Stunts, and it was the second year that we have won the Marshall Johnson award. Keep in mind that this was with an all drop pod army, an all bike army, a thunder Wolf army, and a random assortment of eldar stuff. 3 of those list are rated 3's now so with 3 list I'm at a 9. I'm not about to tell my teammates to buy new armies when this is all they own. Or am I reading into this to much and my team will be fine bringing back the same list?

Well, you can always not come I guess. Or run it next year and then not use the ITC FAQ.

But you should come and roll dice and drink and be merry!

Not sure if I'm coming this year... saving money to go back to school in September!

And it has nothing to do with the ITC thing... what you have planned will tone down the ITC shenanigans; it looks like it will be a really good event.

So I like the idea of no best General! However this is my problem. My team last year was Cunning Stunts, and it was the second year that we have won the Marshall Johnson award. Keep in mind that this was with an all drop pod army, an all bike army, a thunder Wolf army, and a random assortment of eldar stuff. 3 of those list are rated 3's now so with 3 list I'm at a 9. I'm not about to tell my teammates to buy new armies when this is all they own. Or am I reading into this to much and my team will be fine bringing back the same list?

Player rankings will matter when we look at lists. And not all these armies are equal to one another. Wargear choices and the like will matter, we'll have to see. We really are trying to make all of the games super close and super fun. Just try to bring lists like that with honest ratings of your players.

In all likelihood, it shouldn't be an issue, especially considering your team's record with sportsmanship.

• Like 1

Our team is still trying desperately for a theme to do this year.  Havent been able to really pick one.  We've had one every year and none of us have brought the same thing twice.  I know there are people without that luxury but i think there is likely enough on the shelves to make an army happen.

Here's a question:  can we all bring 1's?  There was a rule against it last year where they asked you to bring like a variety of them to make list pairing better (in theory).  No more than 2 of any one rating was the rule I believe when we started making armies.  Before that we had kind of tanked our scores just to see how well we could do, while doing it.  But last year we actually HAD to bring a "3" because of that rule.  Would anyone get bothered if we did 1's again?  Would that make it hard for pairings and what not?  I'm not saying that's what my team will want to do (can't know til we get our theme nailed down) but better to know before we get started.  The date is rapidly approaching.

You've got the Gladius (and I assume the Lion's Blade) under 4s, but what about versions with just one Demi-Company, so it doesn't trigger the Company Support Rule? Considering my DA, since I've never brought them to an OFCC before, and now that I see the guidelines, my planned Machines That Kill 2: Kill You Harder is almost certainly a 4.

You've got the Gladius (and I assume the Lion's Blade) under 4s, but what about versions with just one Demi-Company, so it doesn't trigger the Company Support Rule? Considering my DA, since I've never brought them to an OFCC before, and now that I see the guidelines, my planned Machines That Kill 2: Kill You Harder is almost certainly a 4.

One Demi Company should be fine. I think even a battle co could be a much lower rating, just not grav/melta/plasma spam.

• Like 1

Silly question, but why is Best Sportsmanship called the Marshall Johnson Award? This will be my third OFCC and I've never had it explained lol.

Marshall Johnson (aka Monkeyhaus) was a former Ordo Senator who passed away a few days after the first 40k OFCC in 2005. He was a fun guy and enjoyable opponent, who could have a great time playing a game whether or not he was winning. The Ordo Senate renamed the Best Sportsmanship award in his honor. 

• Like 4

Marshall Johnson (aka Monkeyhaus) was a former Ordo Senator who passed away a few days after the first 40k OFCC in 2005. He was a fun guy and enjoyable opponent, who could have a great time playing a game whether or not he was winning. The Ordo Senate renamed the Best Sportsmanship award in his honor. 

Thank you for explaining.

I really wish that the Battle Company had two versions.  One allowed for free transports, the other offered free unit upgrades if the squads were 10 strong.  I'd love to see plasma pistols and power fists on every sarge.  I think the War Convocation showed how things like that can really work out.  

• Like 4

But again, if you're gonna bring 1's, try to make stuff that can pair fairly well with 2's and 3's. Hard as that sounds. Lol

I don't think a 1 is going to pair fairly with a 2 or 3 most of the time on its own but as i like to say, the General matters the most.

So as long as the opposing team has no three's, we'd be golden.  How many teams were like that last year?  Were there enough of them last year for the first three rounds?  Could anyone look that up?