40k Schedule and List Entry

• 1 month later...

Lists

One of the great aspects of the OFCC is the theme of the lists. Many players, ourselves included, create all new armies for the event. I (Captain A) have done Swampcrons, Beastmen Slaanesh, and Salamanders over the past four years. It was a fun accomplishment to create and see these themed armies on the tabletop. I bet many of you have done the same. We really want to encourage this type of behavior!

In the past four years of captaining a team for the OFCC, I have definitely seen a power creep in lists. Some of that is surely the way in which lists are created in 40k nowadays, and what would be cool to play with what we have. But some of that, in my opinion, is because of what we see others doing at the event or just waiting to see if a list will pass inspection. I would like to put a lot of the pressure here upon the players and captain to self regulate the kinds of lists they are turning in. We will use a four point scale to help guide you with examples of what you might want to do for this years OFCC.

1 – This is the lowest tier list, at a glance they might even be called by many “bad.”  The majority of the units may be from the weaker and lower aspects of each Codex.  Think Dark Eldar Wytches, especially if they’re on foot.  Ogryns or Armored Sentinels, Infantry based armies are often found here.  Allies that may be massive force multipliers won’t be found here.  Units that lack synergy and an abundance of Special Rules. This list is essentially garage hammer at its finest, relaxed, fun models that you may love but for whatever reason rarely see the light of day.   

2 – Perhaps the hardest to determine, this is the perfect place to be shooting for in regards to your army list.  Here you may find old school Space Marine battle companies that are Infantry based, without using the Gladius detachment.  Maybe an occasional Psyker or two scattered among the lists.  A few optimized units that can help carry some weight, a unit of 5 scatter bikes, a thunder wolves squad, a broadside battlesuit squad, etc. 

3 – These are lists that could be seen at tournaments, but probably not end up on the top table.  Think heavy Drop Pod armies, units with Ignore Cover, Super heavies (Imperial Knights mainly, particularly only 1).  Smaller “coma”-stars as opposed to deathstars.  These armies are ones that most players could pilot comfortably.  Additionally, these list may be very difficult to pair with to ensure fun games for both players.  Thunderwolf armies, bike armies, flying circuses, things along those lines.

4 – Tournament lists, these are just a flat out no go.  Skyhammer, Centurion Stars, Gladius Strike Forces, Ad Mech War Convocations, deathstars and the like.  Multiple super heavies here as well.  Avoid super psychic units and stars fall into here, major MSU.  If you’ve seen it at a top table, or know it’s regularly played by some of the better players around, you shouldn’t be bringing it to OFCC.

We should see lists in a range of 1-3 on teams, not a rating of a 4. An ideal score would be in the 8 range.

Player Ratings

We are also going to implement a system for ranking your players on your team. This should help in creating better matchups as well. This is in relation to their skill, not behavior. Everyone should have great behavior at the OFCC.

A.      New Player – Your cousin or brother/sister who has only played a handful of games or a guy just into Warhammer would be categorized as an A.

B.      Average Player – A person who plays every now and then or is a pretty casual player. Knows the rules and their army but may not have a ton of experience against the rest of the 40k universe.

C.      Veteran/Tournament Player – This is a person who knows the rules, knows their army, and also knows the armies of others. A person who plays in a lot of events throughout the year and plays regularly is a veteran player.

Why Player Skill Rankings?

These are here to aide captains in their pairings. A player who is a C – Veteran Gamer with a 3 list should probably not be playing against a player who is an A – New Player with a 1 list. This will create games that will be dissatisfying for both gamers. This is something we want to avoid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i am a WAAAAAAAY slow painter, so it would help me out as well to get somewhat of a timeline so we know when the lists are EXPECTED to be inspected so we have lead time.  I know this comes up every year as a concern, so why should this year be any different right?  Lol.

I also like to post my lists so people can see them ahead of time if they want.  It's the OFCC after all.  Gives Captains time to plan matchups and such.  blah blah blah.  Anywho, just a quick post on the outlook would be great.

• Like 1

Question.  In years past there have been preferred formats for how we present our lists.  I've read some articles I agree with as well that when it comes to event play it can really be a boon to have a nice, printed, at least somewhat standardized list format to present to our fellow players/team captains/opponents/meatbags.  Do we have something like that for this year?

Question.  In years past there have been preferred formats for how we present our lists.  I've read some articles I agree with as well that when it comes to event play it can really be a boon to have a nice, printed, at least somewhat standardized list format to present to our fellow players/team captains/opponents/meatbags.  Do we have something like that for this year?

ooooo.  Good Question.  I always do mine in simple text form.  Basically shows the number of chics in the unit, and what upgrades i paid for and what formation they are in.  The End.  That way its less busy and its easy to read.  i also always bring the codex so i can hand it over if they want to know mid-game what something does, but for the most part, the text format is super fast and less intimidating to scan and you can easily determine what the list does.  A few questions later and we can roll stuff.

I REALLY dislike it when someone says "Its on my tablet" and they dont bring their copy for me or their books.  that is just bad form.  I dont want to be responsible for a guys $600 phone!  Lol.

• Like 1

Also, please not something like raw Army Builder outputs, where it includes every single detail, which makes it really hard to tell what upgrades and options have been taken, as they get lost in the pile of default gear and rules. If you want that for yourself for reference, go for it, but please give your Opponent something more readable.

• Like 2

Also, please not something like raw Army Builder outputs, where it includes every single detail, which makes it really hard to tell what upgrades and options have been taken, as they get lost in the pile of default gear and rules. If you want that for yourself for reference, go for it, but please give your Opponent something more readable.

This.

I've never been a fan of Army Builder lists. I don't need to know that your space marines come with a assorted special rules, bolters, and two kinds of grenades. I just need to see how many guys are in the squad, what upgrades you paid for, and any formations that they are a part of. Like LH said, a good plain text army list that has all of that information on it is great.

• Like 1

I have just realized the list submission deadline? Has this moved or do i need to get a list submitted pronto?

As a member of Team Bacon, the expectation is automatically lowered due to me being Captain. :) That being said, feel free to email me your list (evil.bryan@gmail.com) when you get a chance.

• Like 2