Learn Dystopian Wars, Thursday nights @ GG

Brother Glacius

So I'm going to start learning Dystopian Wars 2.0. I have three fleets for the game and I really like the story for the system. I'll be glad to bring two fleets with me so that anyone else who'd like to learn it, doesn't have to invest. The fleets are fairly reasonable, and you can get a starter in the $70 range or so.

One really great thing about Spartan, is that their rules are free online:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/resources/downloads

You can get the full rules, and the ORBATS for the various factions following that link. Apparently the .pdf version of the rules has some corrections in it from the paper version.

Anyways, I plan on starting out small and working my way through the rules over the next few weeks. If you are interested in playing, please let me know. I'm going to start learning how to play my new Chinese fleet, and will most likely bring the Federated States of America to fight them. I also have the Empire of the Blazing Sun. I think there are close to 20 different forces that you can collect for this game. All very stylish and cool.

Okay, so a little hiccup in the planning last night. Apparently I didn't realize we didn't have a caregiver in the evening for my daughter. So thankfully, Gordi didn't mind coming over to my house to play instead of hitting GG. So we did get in a game. We made it through three turns and it was pretty much over by then. I will have a full battle report up on my blog later today.

Next week we'll go again and hopefully at GG next time.

So last Thursday, Gordi and I got in our 700pt game. Despite getting there early, it was Beer and Pizza night at GG, so that foiled our early start. However, we were at a table and started right around 6pm. The SAS rules were not too much of an issue. Immediately we saw the impact of the SAS though on the game. They provide extra activations and have to be considered by your opponent. I like the simplicity of the rules over v1.2. We were not playing with carriers, so anything besides fighters were one shot tricks. The rulebook is not great about telling you the ranges and target numbers though. I am really starting to hate the printed rulebook actually. They went crazy with the bold face, and they really needed to do a better job of providing easy to read tables for the common stuff. That aside though, I did find some great reference sheets from the Element 270 web site. I'm sure they will make the games go better.

All in all though, it was a fun game. We had way too much terrain on the table, but it was pretty interesting. I'm not sure how you are supposed to face Covenant forces though when they have easy LOS lanes. Those energy weapons are just nasty. My Chinese did come out on top though mostly due to hot dice on my side and very restrictive LOS. We got through 3 turns and bloodied each other pretty good.

I'll have to see what rule we want to include for this next game and will probably go up to 800 points.