Noob in need of basic painting tips for PanO

jdw1710

Hello Everyone,

I've been slowly (very slowly) working on my Op:Icestorm boxset and now actually got to the point that I'm read to start painting my PanO models.  It's been a couple decades since I've painted models and I need some advice and refresher points. 

I have looked for painting guides online/youtube but they tend to be for airbrushers or more advanced painters; I'm looking for more basic guides using brush painting only.  If anyone knows of a good website/blog/tutorial for infinity I would greatly appreciate it.

A few questions:

What is the best color for the primer, black or white?  I'm guessing white?

Do you first paint with the blue and then use a black wash to fill in all the little creases and lines or is it opposite of first paint in all the little creases and then dry brush over with blue?  Or is there a better technique?

Any advice on how to paint the standard black miniature stands that comes in the game for the Infinity world?  I saw that some of you have cool specialized stands that look as part of the city-scape, but are there any ideas on blending a standard stand in with the city-scape?

Thank you very much!

Jim

I've primed my 3 factions for infinity in 3 different colors - to represent each faction base color (in my plan) as well was to get a good primer coat.  I have the ice storm box as well - so Pano, Nomads and I picked up the USAriadna as well. Are you sticking with traditional colors for the Pano? (blue/white) basics?  If so... 

I'd do the following (how I did mine) … primer dark grey / black…  then I used a spray blue/teal…  trying not to be heavy.  This gave me a good base. I will then dry brush a darker blue mix from the bottom…shadow areas.  then a dry brush lighter blue mix to the top down.  Give everything a nice wash of dark blue then a wash of blackish.  Touch up as needed… and add basic highlights.

After that I will pull out everything I want NOT blue - with a brush on base.  (ie. whites)…. repeat tone levels on each element …wash etc.

Thats it in a nutshell.  Another good trick I have seen is to primer from side med/dk grey… then a light quick spray of black primer from bottom up.. and light grey from top.  This gives some decent lighting impression.  I have not tried it… but it seems logical.

Maybe when I finish my ariadna I will do my military orders Pano.

-d

• Like 2

Hello Jim,

Welcome to Ordo!

1. If you want lighter colors on your model, use a white or gray primer.

2. Paint your colors blocks and highlight as you like, then use a .005 micro pen to black line the recessess. Then, wash the model. Remember to use an acrylic medium to "water" down the wash.

3) As for bases, resin bases are great, but If you want to use the plastic ones from the box set, you can use gridded card to add geometric texture or use 40K bits ( I use bits from Rhino.....etc) to have an industrial feel.

Cheers,

RD 

• Like 3

For mine I do 4-5 steps.

1) Prime white.   Flat.  Bright.  White.

2) Heavy black wash.  I try to get the wash only in recesses as much as possible, but for any areas that will be soft textures like cloth I just wash it all over.

3) Dry brush/highlight with white.  Once the recesses are dry and clearly defined, I go back over any raised spots that may have been discolored by the wash.  It makes them stand out more, and helps to keep each individual section defined.

4) Highlight colors.  I use blue as my main highlight, sometimes green for REMS.  Pick out the pieces of armor/weaponry/whatever that you want to stand out on the model and create contrast.  Use a flat base of the color that you want, then give it a gentle high-light/shading depending.  This includes any skin, hair, or other non-clothed areas.

5) Seal.  Metal models can be a pain to keep from chipping, so I seal them with a flat, clear spray before moving on to basing.  One coat is typically enough, more than that and you run the risk of "clear" becoming cloudy.

Also, just mess around a bit.  I did about 5 models in different ways before really settling on what worked for me.  Since I'm not the strongest painter, sometimes a little trial and error is needed to see what looks good and isn't beyond my skill level.

• Like 4

Wow.  Thank you all for all the awesome advice and links.  Rudra's technique matches what I'm looking for, but I do like the idea of base coating/priming from below with black and then a lighter color from above.

Now to find time to paint my PanO.   Currently I'm assembling the Nomads.  Assembling these tiny little bits, arms, 'antenna helmet things' is a labor of love and fury...but very addictive.  :biggrin:  :huh:  :ohmy:  :angry:  :angry:  :huh:   :wink:  :rolleyes:  :biggrin:  <= my emotions as I attempt to glue those little bits many, many...many times over.

Thanks again!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RD

I apologize for the delayed response (spring break and such).  I'm down in Sherwood/Tualatin area.  It would be awesome to join up for some local game nights to learn the game.  That being said my schedule is pretty saturated with work and family so my opportunities are few.  I need to join a very very verrrrrry slow grow league.

Anyways, for the time being, I'm going to live vicariously through all of you, so keep up the posting!  I'm going to try to get my IceStorm painted, and go through the learning scenarios

I do have one other question:  What do most players do for the main rulebook?  Is the online version the full version?  Is there any advantage (stories, extra pictures) to ordering the actual rulebook?

Thanks again!

Jim