Scotty's quest for OFCC 2017

Well that sure was fun!  Now onto the next project.  I'm totally ripping off looting the Warhamster's display board. Not surewhat army I'll be bringing, but after a bit of budgeting forecast a brand new army is off the table, so it'll either be 30K Iron Hands or Militarum Tempestus/Knight Household force (I've got that stuff) or maybe reconjiggered Evil Sunz.  A custom brain crusha battle fortress and more battle wagons would be cool.

Let the building begin! 

• Like 6

Got the shelf liner in place.  All nicely glued and ironed in.It's a nice fabric I found that feels like felt, but wont's be quite so prone to pilling.  Now to get the top sheet ready, it's just construction grade 3/8in ply so it has some knots to fill.  Then I'll sand it smooth and attach it to the top.  The bottome sheet is the same 3/8 ply, and the framing is 1x2 furring strip, so it's actually light for what you get, less than 5 lbs so far. The loose edges of the fabric will be glued in place and compressed when the top is attached.  I'm prototyping here but I can already see opportunities for that void...

displayboard02.JPG

• Like 2

Got the top all filled in, sanded, and secured in place.  then glued and ironed the "felt".  You can see the nice little shelf inside.  I'll make this first batch this way, but honestly I'd rather have the top just a nice finished wood, using lightweight birch ply or something similar.  I can see the green getting gunky.  Oh well, I need to do it to know, plus the ply I already had was ugly, but now I know. Next is the trim.

displayboard03.JPG

displayboard04.JPG

• Like 2

Dammit, Scott, doesn't matter if it's your orks or your shelves, you really know how to make me feel like crap about my lack of motivation to hobby.

Challenge accepted.

To be fair, I'm learning woodworking, so little projects like this are forward momentum for me.  I don't really have shop space anymore, so smaller things like this are all I can manage for now.  The bed project is, awkward to get done.

• Like 2

No hinged door with magnetic lock to make sure your gaming supplies don't fall out?? Sweet Jesus Scott! Is this amateur hour here? If you're gonna share...do it right god damnit! The imaginary display board I have in my head that will never be built is so much better than yours. :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that...

I would think having it close with the front flush, but open with magnets on the Trim, assuming only the sides and back trimmed.  I forgot you had your top completely open, though.

In other words, why are you on the internet?  Get to the garage!!!