Vanc/Portland Bookshelves

andy

Any suggestions on where to go to get good quality, yet affordable, bookshelves in Vancouver/Portland? Doesn't have to be fancy, actually quite the opposite desired. Ikea is right out -- I've already bought, and subsequently replaced, enough compressed paper furniture.

• Like 1

If you are not a carpenter... Ie me, making your own is still possible... I really liked plywood (home depot will use their big saw to cut a 4x8 into 8 pieces!, if you ask) then I got a 2x whatever height you want get it like 10 ft long price it out point is you take cuts out. Your chop cuts are the front to back while the milled big edge is the rise. No super specific cuts needed! I also used self drilling deck screws to then build them works great for my gaming storage!

Keep in mind also that not all furniture at Ikea is particleboard.  I'm still using a hardwood desk from Ikea that is about 20 years old now.  The key is too look at the manufacturers.

BILLY shelves are all particleboard.  HEMNES on the other hand is a hardwood line.  It may not suit your tastes and it is more expensive than the particleboard stuff but you can find some decent stuff at Ikea if it suits your tastes.

• Like 1