9th age Skaven Army thoughts

Hey working on painting my Skaven again, between using what I have and about $125 bucks I can get a fun to paint and model list mostly built out.

What would be people's input for a hand to hand Skaven army.

Looking at building around the following:

2x slaves units ~ 20 each

2x Storm vermin units ~35 strong

2x clan rats units ~ 50 strong

2x DoomFlayers

1x abomination

1x unit rat ogres w/ hero or warlord mount 6? Total?

1x hero warlord on giant rat (sweet forge world model)

This gets me most of the way to 2500.

Looking for ideas to round out the list to make it fun to play but get to paint some fun models also.

Ok let me asks a couple follow on Qs:

Re big block vuknerability - what sizes have you seen people doing to protect flanks? More redirectors? More scouting / ambushing? Splitting larger units to protect points?

RE dread mill, it fits with the theme of the army but not sure if I can fit it in. I have the model so might look at how it fits.

Any suggestions on magic that would best support what I want to be an in your face army? Not sure I have good grasp of mets in magic

• Like 1

I think chaff/redirectors are definitely important in T9A as keeping your flanks secure and guaranteeing favorable matchups is the real crux of the game. Steadfast is still a thing though, so big units are still good for keeping your units around or breaking your opponent's big blocks.

For magic, I've found that low-magic armies work just fine in T9A and some armies can even get away with no magic at all (especially with the new Crown of Scorn dispel scroll item that no-magic armies can take). I personally like to run at least a level 2 and maybe a few bound spells or a couple of level 2s (one with dispel scroll and one with the Tome of Knowledge for a third spell is pretty nice). I think Skaven would benefit from a little more magic as their units aren't the toughest on their own so I'd say at least 4 levels of magic however you want it in there.

An actual list would be great (so we know how many points you need to add)

I'm not a fan of the midsized VG units. I tried running them once and... they did nothing. They really need some character support.

Rats-at-arms + meat grinder = tons of fun. 

I'm not impressed by the Vermin Hulks with Chief, but I may have screwed up in my test game. 

As for flanks, the trick is to either 

• block anyone from getting there by having more bodies in the way
  • kill it 

Units of 50 is pretty much the norm. About 40 for VG and 30-40 for Plague Brotherhood with a Pendelum.

I think you should look into getting some shooting.