Malifaux tournament at Guardian Games this Sat 9/24

McNathanson

Hey folks, just spreading the word cuz I saw it on the Malifaux PDX facebook page!

Here's a repost:

"Hello all, I want to give an official announcement for the Gaining Grounds tournament that will be held at Guardian Games on Saturday, September 24th in the Critical Sip. This will be in place of September's Beerlifaux, and will be a complete Gaining Grounds event with two exceptions: I will allow non- wyrd "Counts As" models (Models that are not made by Wyrd but do convey they model they are meant to represent. Must be approved my me. Can be day of or in advance) and Painted is not required, though the model must be built and on the appropriate base.

The tournament will be 50ss, single faction.
The Strategies can be found in the GG document, while Schemes will be announced day of. We will be using the rotation September falls into.
The awards will be:
Best Strategist (Most TP's)
Best Sportsmanship (Determined by the players)
Best Painted Model(Determined by the players if I cannot get a non-partipant to volunteer. Players may enter one model.)
The Entry Fee is $15 if paid by September 23rd, $18 day off.
Money goes to prize support and the cost of the space, so the more people who show up the better the Prizes.
Here is the schedule:
10:00- Check in
10:30- Round 1 Pairings and setup
10:40- Round 1
12:25- Round 1 End
12:30- Lunch
1:25- Round 2 Pairings and setup
1:35- Round 2
3:20- Round 2 End
3:25- Round 3 Pairings and Setup
3:35- Round 3
5:20- Round 3 End
Note: A fourth round will be added if enough players sign up.
Hope to see everyone there! :)"

- Josh Cal

Check out the FB page for payment details etc.

We got started late, so Nathan had to bail before the final round, which was a bummer.

The event was fun. I ended up squeaking out the win for strategist by +1 on the VPDiff.

My first two games were victories with Mah Tucket. For game 3, I went cheesy and pulled out Zoraida. However, my opponent completely punished me for it by playing a master I didn't know (Reva) and pulling off a maneuver I didn't see hidden in her triggers. He also knew exactly how to play against my crew, so didn't make any of the normal mistakes opponents make the first few times vs. Zoraida. In otherwords, I was outplanned, outplayed, and even outflipped. However, due to time running out, it was a draw (Flank deployment, so Zoraida can score 3 Undercover Entourage points in a single activation.

Ironically, I think Mah Tucket's crew would've been serious trouble for Reva, so if I'd just stayed the course and played the same crew, I think my round 3 opponent would have been in for a very uphill battle.

Sadly, my final round opponent, who pretty much deserved the win, got fourth because of some other "shouldn't have happened" stuff that put others ahead of him. For example, the "second to last round" call got skipped one round, meaning Nathan boxed his take prisoner target literally 30 seconds before "last round" was called, handing over the win to his opponent (who then got second place).

It was fun!  I played two really nice dudes, and even though the terrain on our 2nd table was whack we had a good game anyway.  I thought it was funny that I lost literally on boxing my Take Prisoner seconds before the "last round" was announced!  Next time I'll bring a countdown clock or something... but it was still a really fun game.

Oh and there were some spectacular Black Joker moments that kept me from getting too much of a combat lead early in both games, but they didn't end up mattering because Sonnia and co. pretty much wiped the opponent's crews out... she and Frank and Emissary are super killy especially if you aren't ready for her SS suppression. 

I wish Guild had better minions... not just "more powerful", but more interesting.  Something schemey and fighty like Rooster Riders.  As it is, my crew is plenty tough but it's all about the Masters and Henchmen which makes the game less fun IMO.  Even the (awesome) Austringers are mainly there to drain my opponent's cheat hand and ensure my big plays land.  I think the Gremlins by contrast scale out super well from Master to Henchmen to Enforcers to Minions... really well designed.  I would love to re-write the Guild cards cuz I love the models!

I'm still trying to find childcare so I can attend the Seattle tourney... fingers crossed!