Wargame: Red Dragon - hep preez

Duckman

It was on sale for midweek and I grabbed a copy.  Now I am overwhelmed.

Things I *do* get...  Ok, I get the force deck and the basics of deployment for a skirmish.  I've figured out how to capture objectives and I've got some rudiments of actually engaging an enemy.

There's got to be a lot more to the control set that I am missing.  Right now I am playing at "very slow" and I am not able to come even close to keeping up with the computer.  If people are using the same mouse commands that I am when playing at "normal" speed then they have much better reflexes than I do *and* they are much more aware of the battle field than I could be that close in.  Are there keyboard commands for setting control groups and such?  Once I dismount a vehicle how do I mount back up?  What else am I missing?

• Like 1

I found the Controls and Basics video this morning and it covered three of the questions I had run into in the first five minutes.  Simply put, the controls on this thing are not like any other RTS I have run across and so the things I expected to use to micro simply weren't there.  Understanding how to reload transports, how to use fast movement and how to use attack movement explained why I was having a number of my issues.

I'll PM you and we can talk about setting up a noob bashing where you can show me some of the tricks that I need to be learning.

I've been going through the decks and recommendations at the reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/wargame/) so I am ok for starting decks...  They have lots of write-ups on how they intend the units to work together in the starting decks.

That, combined with the tutorials gives me a decent idea what I want to be doing but I can't figure out how to accomplish it with the controls yet.   :unsure:

• Like 1

Great Games today Duckman!  This is a fun game with a lot of technical depth that you don't get in other RTS games.

We used a TeamSpeak server called "George's World"  IP:  191.101.225.88

TeamSpeak is free to download, and George's server does not require a port or password.  

There were 3 of us playing on our own private match, but we had several people stop into our TeamSpeak channel to invite us to other larger games.  Gotta love that!

Was an excellent learning experience.  I got had the basics of supply and control down but this made me feel a lot better about my infantry and tank tactics and I even got to start working with support units including infantry and AA.

Now I have to figure out how to actually keep a truly mobile force in supply.  I found my mechanized units bogging down about 2/3rd the way across the map and was not prepared to supply them properly when they got there so I was always delayed a bit there.

• 2 months later...

Great, quick explaination of how to forest fight in Wargame: Red Dragon.

Paseted from: https://honhonhonhon.wordpress.com/2016/08/18/basic-forest-fighting-technique/

Do we just attackmove(Q hotkey) it and hope for the best? Almost, but not quite. Generally, the technique is to engage with infantry, then bring in fire support right afterwards to apply suppression. Here’s how it looks:

2016-08-18_20-40-47.gif?w=676

The right side selects both transport and infantry and attackmoves them simultaneously. The OT-64C, being faster, runs ahead of the specialni jednotky and encounters the enemy rangers first, and is instantly destroyed by their AT weapon. Not only does this leave the red infantry without fire support, it also decreases their morale to a shaken state – their transport was destroyed right next to them!

On the other hand, the blue side microes correctly. The rangers are given a move order first. After they’ve gone a bit ahead, their V-150 transport is given a separate move order. The transport only joins the fight after the specialni have been tied up by the ranger squad, and is free to provide suppressive fire without being RPGd.

• 1 month later...