Genestealer Cult for OFCC 2017

evil_bryan

Basing Continued

When the decision is made to use alternate bases, the biggest challenge becomes model attachment. This is amplified when you paint the models and bases separately. The standard school of thought it to pin the model to the base prior gluing. Even though these Sector Imperialis bases are plastic, I thought this would be the way to go. Time to break out the power tools!

med_gallery_1078_183_1015485.jpg

For anyone who has needed to pin a horde army, I'm sure you feel my pain. This takes a lot of time to complete. If you are facing a similar project, here are my words of wisdom.

• Before you begin, make sure you have enough brass wire (my preferred choice) and corresponding drill bits for the project
  • If you have a choice (and lots of models to pin), avoid using a manual pin vise and go with a powered solution
    • I am a huge Dremel fanboy, but it is not the way to go with plastic models
      • Even the lowest RPM will melt plastic as fast as it drills it
    • A low RPM setting on a cordless drill is perfect for this
  • Make sure to chuck the bit ~1cm from the tip of the bit
    • Yes, you will be chucking the bit on the cutting surface rather than the shaft
    • Bits this small tend to flex under pressure when chucked at the shaft, so reducing the flex is more important than potential cutting surface damage
  • Add a pilot dimple to the surface of the model to ensure the location of the hole
    • This is critical when you use a powered solution
    • I use a carbide scribe for this, but any tool with a sharp point will do
  •  Plot the path of the hole prior to starting
    • Nothing is worse than drilling through the calf/foot/ankle of a model because your planned hole is not directed into the meat of the model
    • It is always easy to bend the wire to the proper position after it has been glued in (if you use the brass wire)
  • Use super glue to affix the wire, and clean up extra glue prior to letting it dry
    • It is much easier to use the edge of napkin/towel to clean up wet glue than cutting away dried glue

I hope this unsolicited advise helps you if you ever are crazy enough to do this on your own. :)

• Like 9

Priming Models?!?

Taking one more step to placing color on actual models, I primed the Genestealers tonight.

med_gallery_1078_183_152830.jpg

If any of you were wondering how to prime pinned models not attached to bases, the key is using curved kelly hemostats. I bought two dozen off of ebay a couple of years ago for ~$1/ea. Here is a link for those who are interested.

• Like 3

Priming Models?!?

Taking one more step to placing color on actual models, I primed the Genestealers tonight.

med_gallery_1078_183_152830.jpg

If any of you were wondering how to prime pinned models not attached to bases, the key is using curved kelly hemostats. I bought two dozen off of ebay a couple of years ago for ~$1/ea. Here is a link for those who are interested.

For some reason, that really looks like a pic from a Buzzfeed article or something. "Bryan Got Two Dozen Genestealers Ready to Prime. What Happened Next Will Shock You" ;)

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

So, I realize the holidays can be intrusive and all, but I don't see any updates (and it's been three weeks).  Is it time to bust out the shame memes again?

It has been a while, so let me post an update.

I have nearly finished the Genestealer test model:

med_gallery_1078_183_318744.jpg

I am following the blue/purple scheme from the Cult book, and like the results. For this model, I brushed on the Kantor Blue base. For the remaining models, I decided to test the GW air paints for base coating. I am not done with that step, but so far the Kantor Blue Air has been performing well.

I also completed a hobby project related to painting this army.

med_gallery_1078_183_272118.jpg

To learn how I built this rig, check out the dedicated post.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Twelve days - c'mon Bryan, you're killing me here!  I'm living vicariously through your posts and that means I'm not living much right now. :-/

Okay, it is confession time. I have been actively working on models, but they have not been the Genestealer Cult.  :ohmy:

Let me explain:

• I am attending LVO
  • I was originally going to play AOS, but changed my mind and bought a ticket for the 40K friendly
  • There was no way I was going to finish the Cult in time for LVO
  • Of the other semi-finished armies I have, nothing fit the bill of a) easy to travel and b) excited to play

Because of this, I am building and painting an army for LVO. It is 2K of Death Guard playing out of the new Traitor Legion book. If it was anything other than Nurgle, I would have no hope of finishing. :)

So far, I have the following to complete:

• Finish building the 49 Plague Marines (7 squads of 7 guys!)
  • Build the Chaos Lord
  • Paint all 50 models (thank you airbrush!)
  • Finish the bases for the army (another batch of Sector Imperialis bases)
  • Rebase a Nurgle Deamon Prince and 2 Chaos Spawns

The good news is that this project cannot sidetrack the Genestealer Cult for long since it needs to be completed in less than a month. :)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Back from the Dead!

After finishing the LVO army and taking a post-event hobby break, I figured it was time to get back to the table.

In a futile attempt to honor my commitment, I am back to the cult project. :)

Yesterday, I started the long process of priming the horde.

large.GSC_prime.jpg.7ec060f0b627711933aa

This is the first of 3 batches, not including vehicles. I expect this may take some time. :)

• Like 6